Three Weapons and You're On Your Own

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked our gun threads so much I thought I'd start another.

What three weapons would you carry in an End of the World scenario? Rifle, Handgun, Blade are the categories, but if someone wanted to carrry three Khuks or two handguns and blade that fine too.

I'm thinking of two categories;
In the first, ammo is unlimited, like a video game. You shoot what you want and never run out.

In the second, you must maintain your own ammo supply. Thus, if you were fond of the .37 Wombat cartridge but weren't sure if you could find ammo for it, and didn't handload, maybe you'd better not select it.

First category for me would be the M1A, a Ruger RH 7.5" barrel in 41 mag,
and my Chiruwa AK. I love that great blue revolver. It's heavy, but shoots so well I want it. There is nothing like a large blue revolver in the hand.
It's welcome in any revolution across the Globe, particularly if the hole at the muzzle is very large.

munk

Hmmmm, this one bears some consideration.

Couple questions jumped to mind ... Would my mates have the same options too? Because if they did, I know Dylan would pick up a shotgun, Graham would reach for an HK MP5, so I'd probably look for some bolt action .308 sniper. But if I don't have the two of them backing me up .... :confused:

Pistol would be some 1911 derivative in .45, mostly for parts availability, and of course, stopping power.

Knife choice - This is where it starts getting hard. :D If I thought I'd have a home base, then the Tarwar. If I'm looking at humping it through the mountains to get to Canada, then I'll go with my WWII.

Should we arrange a rendezvous point now, just to avoid confusion ... :rolleyes:

~ B

Knife: My Amtrack 15" Ang Khola with my own karda knife and chamak tool.

Possible replacement: That YCS by Kumar the other day had me thinking hard, but someone got to it first before me.

Rifle: 5.56mm CAR-15 flattop with flip up ARMS irons and an Aimpoint sight with a set of night vision goggles and a Ciener .22LR drop in adapter.

Possible replacement: A Vepr or an Arsenal 5.56mm AK for a really cold climate or a properly rigged Mini-14 for a legally restricted area.

Pistol: .45ACP M1911A1 with a Ciener .22LR kit

Possible replacement: Glock 32/23 or a Glock 27/33 with both the .40S&W and .357 barrels with an aftermarket 9mm barrel and an Advantage Arms 22LR conversion kit.

Rifle:M14
Pistol:Dan Wesson 4" 357 mag.
Knife:BDC
THE DUCK! :cool:

PS-Gonna team up with Rusty & Semper Fi,cause their gonna CHEAT & between them will have a hidden catche of GUNS & KNIVES,that could supply a TEAM(RECON MARINES) :D

My first post!
Stipulating unlimited ammo, my picks for blade & pistol are: 18" sirupati, Ruger P345. The siru is light & quick, and in an 'end of world' scenario an ax should be easy enough to find somewhere if there is much wood-chopping to be done. The Ruger uses easy-to-find ammo and (like all Ruger products) is accurate, rugged, & reliable. For the rifle: It is tempting to go with the SKS (its merits have been sufficiently listed elsewhere) but instead I'd choose any of several pump-action rifles in .308. Even more rugged/reliable/easy to repair, just about as fast in skilled hands.
Another consideration: should ammo happen not to be around when you want it ("Murphy is the God of War") it is worth looking at the old-timey black-powder guns. One can make ammo out of materials at hand, and here again the pump-action rifle shines: more crud-proof, easier to clean & maintain. Shucks, if you're a competent machinist you can build a complete rifle and load it with homemade BP cartridges.

If TEOTWAWKI is zombie attack or other fighting, it goes like this. "Last survivor after a plague" scenario would look for long term use...

Unlimited:
Rifle: FNFAL (heck, make it with the happy switch)
Pistol: Glock 20 (10mm)
Knife: 18" WWII

Limited ammo (especially if I have to carry it):
Rifle: 20" AR-15 in 5.56 with .22lr conversion kit. Look to acquire flintlock for long term sustenance.
Pistol: Glock 21 with 10mm barrel installed. Original .45 barrel, aftermarket .40 and .22lr barrels/kits go with it. Shoot 10mm until that runs out, then switch to whatever is available.
Knife: 18" WWII

Oh boy, this could become one of those "last stand, khuk in hand" threads, couldn't it;)

I guess it would depend on if the end of the world meant "warzone" or just a wasteland. If it's a warzone, then i'm heading for the munk compound with my YCS, 1911 Colt, and a 12gauge pump.

But if its just a waste land, then i think for traveling purposes I'd just take the trusty AK bowie, a .38 special (very packable although i would have to become a much better shot than i am now;)), and a .22 rifle. The bowie will do 90% of what you can expect a khuk to do, but is more packable. The .38 will offer light protection from two legged critters if they are smart (let's face it, the end of the world means no real Dr.s. A 38 cal hole anywhere in you is a big prob. best to mind your manners). The .22 will take down most small and plentiful game cheaply and easily.

jake

I think Steyer scout in 308 and a 14 inch 870 12ga of course. Screw the handgun and probably a BRKT Northstar, yeah I know it isn't a kukri but I will sacrifice to carry the two longer guns. Ifigure the ammo for these is plentiful here in North America and they would fill most niches pretty well.

Going strictly by the categories listed probably a FAL or AR carbine in 308 and a glock 21. I think the knife would remain the same, though I might consider a tactical gladius;-)>

My friends and I used to discuss this years ago. If you are talking survival out in the wild.
I would choose my Rem. 870 = longarm
My ruger Mk. 2 = handgun
Sanu YCS = knife

I figured that there are all sorts of loadings I can use in the shotgun to take game from the bird, squirrell, size right up to bear and man. The 22 makes a great small game getter also and is capable of great defensive use also. The YCS and kardas cover all my knife needs.

If you are talking combat type survival in an urban climate.
FN for my longarm
1911 for my handgun
MMHW bowie for the blade
since all of this would center more on combat than on food.
YMMV

Knife- 18"AK by Bura. This one is light for it's size and very well balanced. My go to knife, I will never part with it.
Rifle- M-14 I don't have one yet, but one day. It is my ideal of a rifle.
Pistol- My Sig Sauer P220. Not a 1911, but just as good IMO and it is a .45 auto.

Archangel has a interesting note with the .22 handgun

For my practical tools, (instead of infinite ammo)
Still the M1A
Ruger Redhawk in 44
Hanuman

If the Redhawk ran out of ammo, and there wasn't time or opportunity to load my own, I'd switch to the Springfield 1911 45 acp

The WWll is such a hard choice- Chiruwa AK, Baby Ganga Ram, or the Hanuman. Yeah, I should go with the Hanuman.

Heck, I'd pass some of this to my wife and 8 year old son. Keep it in the family.

munk

AR-15 variant assuming high quality and reliable. Mainly this choice for ease of spare parts and ability to pick-up ammo from others. No HBAR's though...too heavy.

Glock 19 for reasons of weight, simplicity, reliability and again, the commonality of ammo.

WWII khuk, or even BAS. Kind of middle of the road in terms of chopping and slicing.

I agree with your thinking on the stopping power advantages of the 308 and 45, but the platforms for each are no longer standard military issue here. I think this exposes a potential weakness for these weapons in an "end of the world" scenario where spare parts availability might be an advantage.

Jeff

Hmmm
Saiga-12 (12ga shotgun)
20" AK Villager
Maybe one of the new Beckers that is coming out. The BK-7 in S30V. Something usefull in size but that should be able to take a beating.

My Rose, a high capacity 9m/m and my base ID Card (because I know where they store the *real* munitions).

*MAD* has been good enough this far...who wants to bother the guy with the big knife and has hotwired one of the nukes he used to work on?

Knowledge *is* power.

Nasty,
Knowledge may be power, but it will be an ignorant sob who confronts you with no recognition of your 'device', only wanting your brightly colored baseball cap.

munk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back