Throwing Knife Heat Treat?

Just curious on what the best temper would be for some throwing knives. From what I've read it's not so much about HT but the edge and tip geometry. I'm guessing I'd go with a higher temp and get it to be "tougher". I also am curious if the quench matters. I've tried water and oil. Water seems to cool too fast and in my experience (very little) I get more warping and it's worse than an oil quench. Does anybody use water?

Good choice. Both are great steels but I have been playing with more of that 1080+ lately and really like it.

Good choice. Both are great steels but I have been playing with more of that 1080+ lately and really like it.
I have made a dozen or so with 1080+. I like it but for more of an outdoors/work knife. Seemed to be less stable at higher HRC.

So on the throwing knives should I run a normal HT ?

Plain old 1075 would be my choice for a thrower. 80CrV, 1080, 5160 would al work well, too. Stay with a hypo-eutectoid steel.

HT with a full hardening butt to tip. Quench in medium speed oil ( canola would work great). Temper at 550F (or at 800-900F for less hardness and much more toughness).

Grind the profile, and put a 45 degree (90 degree inclusive) edge on it with no bevel. This should create a square point cross section, which will allow straight penetration and sticking. You can do all the grinding, including the edge, before HT, as there is no risk of edge warp at 90 degrees inclusive.

Thanks for the advice. I wasnt sure how much hotter to go. I usually temper at 450-500F. And the thick grind was something I read about but hearing it again is good reassurance to do it.

Back