Recommendation? Throwing Knives Suggestion?

Hi everyone,

So basically I wanna try knife throwing. Naturally, I watched what the world champ in knife throwing says about this, and he recommends the Vengeance Slim for beginners.

I really like the shape and all that, but I'm not sure whether I want to spend ~150 on 3 knives if I don't have to. Especially since I don't know whether I will like this activity.

Does anyone in here have any suggestions that would still be excellent throwers, but cheaper? Or should I just suck it up and buy it because nothing comes close?

Cold steel probably.

Your two biggest issues is the handle breaks and the tip bends because you are banging both ends in to wood.

I would also suggest a bit of weight behind it. I think they stick a bit easier with less force.

But they all mostly throw straight.

But cold steel do pretty cheap throwers and pseudo throwers that work fine.

You could pick up some GI tantos or something cheap that you can also use as a beater knife.

Cold Steel Tru Flight throwers. You should be able to find them for about $30 each.
Get 3, dull them because they come way too sharp for throwers.

I'm willing to sacrifice everything except for durability and how well it flies.
Cold Steel Tru Flight throwers.
They're a bit over 40 here. At that price point I'd probably go with what the world champ recommends.

I see that Cold Steel offers much cheaper options. Are they any good?

Start as large and heavy as you can and work your way to the good stuff. The largest cheapest cold steel would be my recommendation, if you plan on ordering them on the web that big river store will periodically have great deals on cold steel items if you have the patience.

As a teenager I went with the rule of every knife can be a thrower until it breaks, which my Ka-Bar Utility and Smoky Mountain Toothpick didn't appreciate very much. Nowadays I'm a lot better about only using cheaper throw knives to toss at targets, so my more expensive knives don't have to take out restraining orders on me.

There's a few companies, like SOG, Cold Steel, Ka-Bar, Spyderco, and others that make cheap or relatively cheap throwing knives. Just stick with softer steels that can take the abuse a bit better.

all from my personal experience as a beginner for 3 months so far.

let's say A36 soft steel flat bar 1-1/4"x36" 1/4" thick from homedepot cost $24. if you can make the throwing knives by yourself, it would cost you $6 each, and it's soft steel, will bend for sure when you practice as a beginner. on amazon, i can find something at $7 or so, JXE JXO for example, made of 420c, which is much better stainless steel than A36. i would say $7 - $10 each piece is fair cost for beginners to try out.

i have to mention the target though. it helps if you can get/make end grain target board, which is much easier to stick. the frustration of 'non-stick' at beginning is the main harassment for someone may quit quickly. knife throwing is kind of above average skill using hand. try to make something with your hand would help you to persist longer to success.

along the way, you would try different type knives, different skills, different way to throw, etc.. you would know which one is the right knife for you once you found the most comfortable way to play.

I think I'm gonna get the cheapest Cold Steel available here. Shouldn't a carbon steel like 1050 hold up better than 420 or 2Cr13 in terms of toughness?

And what makes a good throwing knife anyways? Like shape, balance and weight wise.

And thanks for the end grain tip, that'll surely help. So far I've only used regular knives on trees.

I think I'm gonna get the cheapest Cold Steel available here. Shouldn't a carbon steel like 1050 hold up better than 420 or 2Cr13 in terms of toughness?

And what makes a good throwing knife anyways? Like shape, balance and weight wise.

And thanks for the end grain tip, that'll surely help. So far I've only used regular knives on trees.
It depends on the way you choose, non spin? Rotational? I'm doing no spin ATM, and I'm not a strong man. So I'm using handle weighted 200g or so knives. I've been watching samoth video a lot, he's suggestions of the specs are very accurate, 200g to 250g, 6mm thick 250mm long. I found out that 250g actually is so heavy when I want to control yet remain powerful. Anyway, you would find what's the best for you after try different options.

Oh I forgot to mention the width of the handle, usually nobody ever mentioned it. I found 25~26mm is perfect for my hand, 23mm is too narrow and 27mm is too wide. Yes it's that specific.

Hi everyone,

So basically I wanna try knife throwing. Naturally, I watched what the world champ in knife throwing says about this, and he recommends the Vengeance Slim for beginners.

I really like the shape and all that, but I'm not sure whether I want to spend ~150 on 3 knives if I don't have to. Especially since I don't know whether I will like this activity.

Does anyone in here have any suggestions that would still be excellent throwers, but cheaper? Or should I just suck it up and buy it because nothing comes close?
Grafknives makes probably the toughest throwing knives on the market and don’t charge a kidney. They make some big throwing bowies that won’t break! Check their website.

It depends on the way you choose, non spin? Rotational?
I guess I'll try both. Highly specific specs. I've seen the champ doing both spin and no sping with bare knives, so that must be purely preference.
Grafknives makes probably the toughest throwing knives on the market and don’t charge a kidney. They make some big throwing bowies that won’t break! Check their website.
I did and I guess that's a really good performance-to-price ratio, so I went with 3 no spin knives and what I assume are 3 spin knives.

I guess I'll try both. Highly specific specs. I've seen the champ doing both spin and no sping with bare knives, so that must be purely preference.

I did and I guess that's a really good performance-to-price ratio, so I went with 3 no spin knives and what I assume are 3 spin knives.
Great! I like very much to support small businesses that are good. Graf is the designer and Melon is a well respected senior metallurgist, so I would expect those knives not to break. I have three tomahawks from them and they are really tough. I’m no Joe_X, but I hit hard and they beg for more.

Back