throwing

There are skilled throwers who browse this forum, and the moderator, Mr. Branton, is a nationally-renowned expert. I know my question is borne of ignorance, but I will persist. (As they say in the oilfields, "Do SOMETHIN, Even If It's WRONG"):

Suppose I have my Tru-Bal Mountain Bowie out in the backyard with a paper target. I pace off about 8 ft., throw following Branton Co.'s instructions, the knife hits but does not stick. I keep experimenting: a step forward, throw, a step back, throw, until I find I find that with my personal(awkward) stance and motion, if I stand precisely 10.5 ft. from the target, I can reliably stick my thrower in the target 9 out of 10 times. I can see that from that distance my knife is making 3 1/2 complete revolutions; when I take one step back, the knife makes 4 complete revolutions, and the knife lands point-down; similarly, if I take one step forward, the knife only finishes 3 whirls, and lands flat, point-up.

Hey, I know nothin about this stuff; but is what I've said so far reasonable?
So. I will presume the above is not ridiculous. Next, suppose, now, I'm getting better; I step back 3 steps; I find I can reach my
9-out-of-10 ratio, again, at 12.5 feet. Gradually I can see that my thrower is now making 4 1/2 revolutions, each time. And if I move forward one step, the blade comes in too high by half a rev; if I step one step to the rear, the blade noses down. At precisely 12.5 feet I stick it 9-out-of-10 times.

My question is this: the question has been raised, on Mr. Branton's discussion site, whether a throwing knife could be part of a
self-defense. To me, the question is FASCINATING. Think of all the means of self-defense. Martial arts--they work at ZERO distance. TASERS, etc. zero distance. OC sprays, any other gas defense sprays: well, that's worth considering. They claim (FoxLabs, et. al.) to function reliably at 8 - 10 feet. Of course, knives -- zero distance. The ONLY FULLY ACCEPTED form of self-defense that (i)DOES work at a distance, and at (ii) GREATER than 10 feet --- is a pistol. Now, if a thrower were accurate, it would join with handguns ALONE as the ONLY methods of defense that can work at a distance greater than 8 (or 10) feet. Further, if a thrower is thrown but does not penetrate; if it is 'close-to-sticking'---the defensivehit strike, the mechanical force is probably so shocking awe-inspiring and stunningdisruptive, the thrower can now either (i) flee or
(ii) follow up the thrower with a smothering groundfighting defense. If deployed instantly the defense would likely meet little resistance.

But now I return to the puzzle I began with. Suppose, to 'land,' to 'stick' the landing/ target; to KNOW I am going to stick the target, I **MUST** BE STANDING (i) 10.5 or (ii)12.5 feet from the target. And, if don't want to be surprised, and take unknown risks, I must KNOW, in advance of throwing, that I AM at one of the approved sites/distances.

All that sounds a bit artificial, an unreal depiction of a defensive manuever. Everybody of course knows that an imminent assault by a
no-neck monster approaching is NO TIME to be stepping off distances, putting pepples next to 8.5 ft., 10.5 feet, 12.5 ft from the doorway you expect the deadender to come in; you can't know he won't move suddenly, and ruin all your calculations. And there MAY be reason for YOU to move, suddenly, that, too, upsetting your plan to stick your throw. An assault is a fluid, dynamic configuration; your success at throwing, thus far, seems to me dependent on your ability to eliminate unknowns; which seems unrealistic, impractical, in the self-defense setting.

I've gone on too long, it's just a 'thought-experiment'; I certainly would be happy if it elicited any responses from the knowledgeable readers out there. --- JDM

Sir,

Your first mistake is asking Bobby anything.... ;)
(just wanted to tease you there Bob...got all your messages...I'm in NJ and will call you when I get home)

Anyway, back to your question, yes a knife can certainly be thrown in self defense...and confidently...however, it takes a great deal of practice.

I will submit that I find the number of rotations you are achieving at those distances very unusual. The Mountain Bowie was designed for a single rotation in 12-14 feet when thrown by the handle. If you are getting two or three rotations from that distance, you must be using ALOT of wrist action, which in my experience is VERY hard to do the same, throw after throw.

I once engaged a wild hog with throwing knives and it was a challenge to get a solid stick...I cut and slashed, created blood trails, but never "stuck" him...largely due to the constantly changing dynamic of the distance between the angry hog and me.

In a self defense scenario, I would imagine that a thrown knife would discourage even a very determined attacker...particulary if after being tagged, he saw another knife at the ready if he were to continue his assault.

I like Moeller Viper III's for self defense carry, because of their size and performance features....they're heavy enough for good penetration even at such a short length...and they turn like a throwing knife should.

Bobby has some cool smaller throwers which could be used for SD carry, inside the waistband perhaps.

Bobby introduced me to a gentleman who trained to control his spin to such a degree, that he can do a single turn at 4 feet and any distance up to about 14 feet. He controls the spin from his torso and the knife only turns once at any of those distances...and it is truly amazing to watch...I've never seen anyone else do that.

Enjoy throwing!

Isnt it true that Tru-Bal/Tru-Balance went out of bussiness at least ten years ago? I dont know how long the company prospered after the death of Harry McEvoy. I cant remember why I say this -- but I have the vaguest recollection telling me thaat Mr. Branton knows all about this, the demise of Tru-Bal. I dont know of another company, besides Tru-Bal, whose products bear a family resemblance to those of Branton Knive Corp. The other thrower lines/companies, ehhhh, I wouldnt piss on them if their hair was on fire.
I think my Mountain Bowie, the biggest Tru-Bal knifethower ever made, weighs 16 ounces. Now, THAT'S not a 'floater.' You know, not a Gil Hibben thrower/neck knife.

I should shut up I know I miss the Tru-Bal knives.

---- J. D.

Isnt it true that Tru-Bal/Tru-Balance went out of bussiness at least ten years ago?
I don't think it is. I gave them a call a couple years ago and left a message on the answering machine. They sent me their flier with knives' pictures and prices, I didn't order at that time though... I still regret it and I guess I'm gonna give them a call pretty soon. Anyway, here is the phone from the flier (616) 453-3679.

Mr. Priato,

I didnt mean to make any claim re knife rotation. I made it all up; I MEANT to state it as a hypothetical. Much better if knowledgeable people like yourself and Mr. Branton write in. --- JDM

Back