Ti Handled Calypso

I missed the first mention of this spectacular concept (thanks Clay) - if we kicked and screamed for long enough, would it become a reality??

I WOULD BE TICKED IF THEY MADE A TI HANDLED CALYPSO. I LIKE THE KNIFE BUT LOOK AT ALL THE OTHER COOL MODELS THAT SPYDERCO IS SH*TCANNING IN ORDER TO LOWER THE HIGH NUMBER OF SKU'S.

SPYDERCO IS DOING THIS TO ENSURE THAT WE HAVE A SPYDERCO TO LOOK FORWARD TO 10 YEARS DOWN THE ROAD.

MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION IS THAT A TI HANDLE WOULD GO ON A MILITARY FIRST, THEN MAYBE ON SOME OTHER MODELS IN EXTREMELY LIMITED EDITIONS.

------------------
EXCUSE ME WHILE I WHIP THIS OUT.
**Blazing Saddles**

Oo-oo-h, Ferret, you are a trouble maker, aren't you? That sounds pretty darn sexy to me.

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

Actually, the JSK would look good too
biggrin.gif

I suppose I should come in on this one since I'm the one who started Ferret off (not that he needed much encouragement
biggrin.gif
). Sal said that the Ti handled Calypso would be aimed at "aficianados", well that must make me one because this knife has been on my mind ever since I read the original post. The really scary thing is that it has even stopped me dreaming about the Lum Chinese Folder and that has been on the top of my wish list for as long as I can remember (which isn't very long these days
smile.gif
).

Everybody recite after me: Ti Calypso, Ti Calypso, Ti Calypso........

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Ti Calypso, Ti Calypso, Ti Calypso, Ti Calypso, Ti Calypso Ti, Ti Calypso Ti, Ti Calypso Ti, Ti Calypso Ti, Calypso Ti, Calypso Ti, Calypso Ti, Calypso Ti, Calypso jr Ti, Ti Calypso jr.....Calypso, Calypso come backkkkkk..

That's the way Tommi. Now when you start to levitate you must change the chant to: Send all my knives to Clay, Send all my knives to Clay,.......... O.K.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Hmmm . . . flat ground blade in premium steel . . . titanium . . . polished surface, deep-cut anodized geometric engraving (standard pattern) . . . pant . . . lust . . . drool . . .
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Ti Calypso, Calypso Ti, Ti Calypso Ti, Calypso Ti, send all my knives to Clay, SEND all my knives to Clay, Nooooo
biggrin.gif

Knives are not something one can eat but thought of this Ti Calypso,Ti Calypso, Calypso Ti ... makes me to drool like a Pavlovs dog.

Behold, it works!

Another poor soul here, lost to the Titanium Calypso choir...

"Titanium Calypso Jr!!!" etc...

------------------
Tea drinker and hellraiser from Northern Sweden, above the arctic circle.

I'm certainly game for a Ti Calypso.

The only "problem" with the regular, micarta handled Calypso is that it feels somewhat fragile, probably because it's so light (it weighs almost half of what the Wegner weighs). This impression is misleading, as the knife can stand up to some heavier work than might be expected, but a Ti handle would solve this problem.

Plus, Ti handles are just plain cool, and Spyderco doesn't have many (or currently, any) Ti handles knives available. Like James said, anodized engraving would add a lot too.

Titanium Calypso Jr. with flat ground VG-10 blade, and titanium Spyderclip. It's killin me! Put an integral lock on it and/or a BG-42 flat ground blade and I'd stop carrying my Sebenzas. Well, as much anyway.
cool.gif

For the purposes of "discussion only". Anodizing would raise the price considerably and would come off against almost any abrasive contact. Scratches are not becoming on an anodized knife and re-anodizing quite impractical.

A plain titanium scaled Calypso with VG-10 would be in excess of $175 retail. there would never be many made so "low prices" would more than likely not be available. I believe that a price like this would significantly decrease sales.

sal

How about a 6061 T-6 aluminum handle to bring the price down and still offer the strength and looks? Or my original suggestion a Calypso LW even as a limited production piece? Marcus

------------------

Sal, thanks for answering the "anodise question". Now, hypothetically when can you start production on this $178 knife/
biggrin.gif

Sal, thanks for answering the "anodise question". Now, hypothetically when can you start production on this $178 knife?
biggrin.gif

Back