Ti Straw..

Just saw one of these at TAD. Can anyone give me any info?
Thanks,
Matt

Excellent addition to your site, Don. More reading for me to do! And I thought I caught up with everything on it a day or two ago...

Good science trick for youngsters as well. My Mother published a few articles and co-wrote a book on this type of stuff: Cartesian divers, mysterious mothballs, etc. Like the straw, stuff with air pressure, plus vinegar and baking soda, etc.

We too had a couple sets of encyclopedias. One was the Funk & Wagnalls, and the other some full color Natural Science set. Plus, all my parents' books from biology and geography, etc. If only I could've gone to my Mom's high school biology classes when I was in elementary school! That's when I was most interested. When I got to high school myself, my Mom convinced me to take it, and I got the WORST teacher imaginable. We did LECTURE four days, and watched Little Rascals movies on Friday. Plus, he was a jerk.

Both my parents were teachers. Reading was essential, and no one had to force me to do it! Those were the days.

Thanks for the memories, too.

Karl

Karl,

No, thank you. Hey! You remember the diving submarine in Captain Crunch cereal boxes? Being a child of the 70s, surely you must remember! :D

Don, I remember diving submarines, and all kinds of other deliciously advertised stuff which was probably cheap crap! We didn't have too much of the Captain Crunch, either (it was always a treat when I slept over at friends' houses, though).

Childhood memories are great. I loved visiting my grandparents' in Moundsville, W.Va. Granpa usually had one or more guns around for me to ask about and look at. I remember single shot shotguns, an M1 Carbine, a cheap .32 Bulldog style solid frame revolver, and a nice Remington single shot .22 that I used to shoot downhill from their porch!

Not to mention the old house with its potato cellar, and all the old toys and models and who knew what else to discover...

When I got my first .22 I had the run of the place sometimes and shot it off the porch. I'd say the range to the bottom of the hill was about 100 yards... and due to the steep angle, I never needed to use my rear sight ramp--just took it out and I was dead on.

I wish I'd been a "farm boy," but at least I got to play at it for a few days at a time.

Back in, as Cooper would probably say, "a different country."

Karl

Back