Time for a bigger and warmer shop!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
I am still figuring out the details but I'm going to do some shop improvements soon!

Winter is coming and my semi-outdoor grinding area gets a little cold! I am in a shed/carport with 2 walls and great power so I will likely enclose or expand it. I have a nice gravel floor which I like for grinding as it cuts down on the risk of fire. It is built in a pole barn style so it will be reasonably easy to expand or enclose.

I also have the option of finishing out a shed attached to the carport and I may do that also or instead, currently my propane tank gets filled by running a hose through my shop. I could divide it up into a clean shop and a grinding room.

I currently have a ton of orders I am working on and I hope to get some more knives up for sale soon as well. I may hold off a bit on newer orders for a moment while I get the shop ready... I'll still take them but I am going to finish up older orders, try to get my shop completed and get some knives out for sale here on the forums. :D

Do what you gotta do, man. Once you get your shop the way you want it, your lead
time will decrease. If some customers have to wait a little longer while you work on your shop,
I'm sure they will understand.

Do what you gotta do, man. Once you get your shop the way you want it, your lead
time will decrease. If some customers have to wait a little longer while you work on your shop,
I'm sure they will understand.

It's all about improving my quality, speed and knifemaking in general.

Lol that and my bearings start to freeze up around 0 degrees, it gets that way for a while! We also have a child on the way and I'm thinking knives laying everywhere might not be good! :D :D :D

Dan get your shop finished.Like it was said it will cut down on your lead time.Yes we all want our knives quick but we all understand you have a ton of stuff to do with a new baby on the way.

Dan get your shop finished.Like it was said it will cut down on your lead time.Yes we all want our knives quick but we all understand you have a ton of stuff to do with a new baby on the way.

:cool: Thanks! I am a full time knifemaker so improving my shop is my way to help my family in the future.

Man you guys are cool!

Daniel, knives around with kids are no problem at all!!!!!!!!!!!
You just need to let them play with the profiled ones and not the sharp ones!
P1010069.jpg

Awesome photo! That parang came out great! I hope to get to our collaboration knife soon, I have one profiled out that I am considering.

lol til they drop it on their toes! my boy is a menace! has a facial wound in some phase of healing 24/7... just tonight, new crack on the forehead.. sigh.. poor guy is going to be retarded by age 4....

Don't worry about it to much, Sloth. Just about all kids are clutzes at his age. I think their brains are
still mushy enough to do no damage. LOL

Ya'll will do fine Daniel. You'll freak out the first time the little one takes a tumble, but that's
part of raising kids. In no time you will have a little shadow following you everywhere.

hahaha, yeah.. my just turned 2yr old boy has had a full blown concussion (dizzy, hyper, then full blown puking..), 4 stiches in his mouth from running and falling into a metal railing, several gashes on his head from nose diving into the sidewalk, hard packed dirt, or hard wood floors... got a finger stuck in door and lost his finger nail... tried to eat poisonous berries two different times.. had a ceramic tea pot fall on his head and get a huge goose egg..

what else.. lol he is TWO, as of 2wks ago.. since about 10mos we've been trying to keep him from injurying himself daily.. lol now he's some freaking pakor'ist freak jumping around and landing on his head/face getting black eyes and cuts on his forehead.. JESUS haha yeah Daniel, you will do fine, just get used to being a safety net til he is.. well, NEVER aaaaahahahahhaha :D :D

I have to hide knives all the time as he is climbing everything and finding new hiding spots.. ugh, time for a safe. =_=

drink up! ;]

Oh and let's see some new shop pics as it transforms.. .winter is near (well, near enough)!

Last edited:
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Your kid's made of some tough stuff, lol.

Just wait till he starts riding a bicycle. You'll be thinking about buying him a crash suit. lol

maybe a woodburning stove in the shop? there's certainly enough knives around to use for chopping, batoning wood, making fuzzsticks, etc. You can even use the heaps of cut up cardboard for kindling.

maybe a woodburning stove in the shop? there's certainly enough knives around to use for chopping, batoning wood, making fuzzsticks, etc. You can even use the heaps of cut up cardboard for kindling.

I am seriously considering one, I had a pot belly stove in my last workshop for heat.

My sister just got one in her den last year, it works great. Doesn't use a lot of wood either. The kids make s'mores in the den while watching TV.

Back