Time to Get Started: Skivving Knives

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Time to get started. Finally geting a chance to get going on these. While back Paul, Anthony and I had a discussion about sivving knives. Good ones were getting hard to find and even then the edge holding wasn't all that great. I thought about building one. I posted here and got lots of feedback on designing a skivving knife. So here is where we are. This isn't goining to be a WIP so much, or a how too, just a pictorial progress of where we're at. Comments and questions are more than welcome.

F5U75Wx.jpg

These are the three blades back from heat treat. My goal was 63 RC for edge holding ability and each blade has been tested and marked by Peters Heat Treating, they hit that goal. Each blade is 5" long. Paul had mentioned that he liked the round tip and I thought I might like to try the angled tip so that is why we have two different styles represented there. I had settled on AEB-L for the steel for a couple of reasons. First what better than razor blade steel to make such a knife and its available in the thin stock we were desiring. One of Pauls design characteristics that he wanted was a very flexible blade and so that dictacted the thin stock. I can get AEB-L past "scary" sharp into "ugly" sharp, (ugly sharp is the next level past scary on the sharp meter) and yet AEB-L remains very easy to resharpen. I used it on the last batch of roundknives I made at 63 RC and its edge holding ability has remained amazing. I think in all the time I've had my roundknife I've only resharpened it twice. This is with daily use, sometimes for hours at a time over a period of months. Strop it once in a while and it will cut and cut and cut....

lBcKv4f.jpg

Now I've finished the post heat treat grinding. I started at 80 grit (all gator belts), then 120 and finally 220. Then I hit them with a green Scothcbrite belt for a nice uniform working finish. Pretty much how I finish all my non damascus blades. These three are a group of forty knives I'm working on at the same time.

Often times folks think that if you get steel really hard you won't have flexability. This just isn't the case as this next pic shows. Flexability has more to do with the shape, geometry and thickness of the blade, not the hardness.

3GDh3mQ.jpg

I think we'll be plenty fine in that regards.

So then handle materials. I choose Desert Ironwood, Cocobolo and Bocote. All three have similar characteristics. Tough, durable, woods with the finish in it. In fact on all three I don't use a finish, just sand and then buff a little. Another neat thing for this experimental project is I have a lot of all three and I traded for em. So cost here is almost nothing.

Mn1tPjN.jpg

So now we've got them glued up. I decided to use Loveless bolts to secure the handles. With the flexability we have in these I was worried about the scales separating some over time if I just pinned them. Loveless bolts simply make that issue go away. The scales can't loosen up.

HxgaVXO.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, those look terrific. I'd love to get my hands on one to try it. If they will be for sale, put me down for one for sure.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I can't sell ya one cause I'm giving you one to try out. I have no experience with one of these guys so you're gonna have to tell me if we hit the mark or not.

Thanks for posting this up. I can attest to the effectiveness with which Paul wields his. I'd like to get one. Just like the round knife, I think it's a tool worth mastering now. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing how this project turns out.

wow, awesome knives... erm... for what and how do you use them? :)

one of those and a round knife in aeb-l... a dream :D

thank you for posting the pics!

Paul uses them for skivving or angling the edge of a piece of leather down to blend with another. He can slice a relatively wide piece. I'll see if I can find a pic.

PS: if I'm not making sense, it's iain meds. I just had surgery:D. Probably shouldn't be posting!

Wow Dave, those are looking lovely. Most of the time I use a kiridashi or the round knife to skive, or sometimes a "safety skiver", but the lack of flexibility and limitations of each also have me running over to the belt sander just as often.

Can't wait to see what they look like finished.

Jdk, I wasn't aware that you were going under the knife, but I'm glad to hear you are well.

Wow Dave, those are looking lovely. Most of the time I use a kiridashi or the round knife to skive, or sometimes a "safety skiver", but the lack of flexibility and limitations of each also have me running over to the belt sander just as often.

Can't wait to see what they look like finished.

Jdk, I wasn't aware that you were going under the knife, but I'm glad to hear you are well.

Thanks amigo. They had to do some major shoulder work. I've got some extra parts now:). The good thing is I havae some free time to watch Paul's videos:thumbup:

wish you all the best on getting better, same to you omega for your back.
okay, so they are for standard skivving. hmmm, interesting... using my kiridashi currently.

Dave ,

I haven't been keeping up with the previous thread about these knives , so I'm trying to catch up with what's going on .
What type of edge are you going to put on these ?
Convex , Micro Bevel , Chisel ?

Ken

Those look good!

I often use a spey blade for skivving as I find the curved part makes nice and even cuts, I think the rounded one will work great.

Btw, I'm impressed by the flex. I believe I was one of those that had trouble with the high hrc and bendy-ness concept, but I'm cured!

Good deal guys. JDK get better. My son just got released back to work from shoulder surgery and Nichole is still doing PT 3x a week from separating hers. If you have a pic of Paul using one I'd sure like ya to post it. Ken I'm thinking a very small micro bevel, so small its almost convex. Thats how I do my roundknives and it sure works for them. Yeah Strig its a common misconception. I recently made the Vet a special hoof knife from this same stock. In fact making two of those was why I had the stock on hand to make these skivvers. He needed it for digging out abcesses in a horse's foot. It was so sharp that he'd only use it with a kevlar glove, and this is a guy that makes a living with a scapel. However it was too flexible for its purpose so we're redesigning it and using .110 stock instead of this .60 that these are if I remeber right. I snapped the curved end off of the hoof knife to make it a straight blade. Man it zips through cardboard when those boxes are heading to the trash can.

Got the knife handles sanded up to 220 grit yesterday. Working on up to 400 grit today and then taking the tang up to 600 before handsanding the handles. Should have them done tomorrow if the creeks don't rise. I'll post more pics soon.

Dave, I double checked and that's probably the only tool I don't have a pic of him using! I sure thought I did. I plan to try and visit him while I'm out of work and I'll get some good shots with the skivving knife. I'd never seen one before, but they're impressive in the right hands.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're making a large batch? If they go up for sale I'd sure like to maybe pick one up as well. I'll post up some skivving action pics as soon as I get some. Maybe I can post a review of yours once Paul gets one as well. Thanks and take care.

Good deal JDK. No the large batch is regular knives too. I'm making three of the skivving knives, just the ones pictured. One is going to Paul, I'm gonna keep one and the thrid I thought we might pass around here if there is interest.

I gotcha! Well, Hopefully they'll turn out well and get a second run:)

Looking good Dave. I too am waiting to see how these turn out. I'm going to have to figure out what you do to get Brad to use the super special mojo. I asked for max hardness on that batch I sent him and they all came back at 60-61. :confused:

Chris

Looking good Dave. I too am waiting to see how these turn out. I'm going to have to figure out what you do to get Brad to use the super special mojo. I asked for max hardness on that batch I sent him and they all came back at 60-61. :confused:

Chris
Sounds like Brad has two recipes.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1242554

Not sure why he would go one way with the cryo (snap temper before, or quench to cryo) if the other way produced a harder pre-temper blade, but I have zero idea of what he did at all. Might ask him on the next batch.

Great. I've purposely stayed out of ST because I don't have the time to grind steel and now you've got me thinking about it. I have several feet of o1, 1095 and 1084 that aren't going to grind themselves. :(

:)

Last edited:
Thanks Anthony. I remember reading that post but seem to have forgotten or missed what Chuck had said.

Chris

No special ju ju, I just tell Brad what I want. Most of my regular carry knives out of AEB-L are at 61. Your knives at 61 will rock and roll Chris not to worry.

Back