Tispine versus Aculus

Do these two folders have the same size blade? What exactly is the blade size on the Tispine? I've seen everything from 3 to 3.3 inches advertised. Does anyone know the exact measurements? Also, does anyone have any comparison photos of the tispine with some common folders, i.e. Griptilian, Caly 3, etc? I am really interested in either the tispine or the aculus but I would like to stay very close to a 3" blade. I have enough 3.25-3.5 folders already, Thanks in advance.

The dimensions of the LionSteel TiSpine and Blackwater Aculus are identical with a blade length of 3.346 inches (85mm).

Both the DPx Gear and Blackwater websites state it incorrectly as 3.03 inches although they both also say correctly as 85mm.

The Blackwater specs also say the Elmax blade was hardened to 61hrc which is different than the TiSpine's advertised 59-60hrc.

If you want comparison photos I encourage you to watch some of the YouTube videos featuring the knives.

The Blackwater specs also say the Elmax blade was hardened to 61hrc which is different than the TiSpine's advertised 59-60hrc.

I don't know how accurate that is since they got the blade length wrong! Even if it is higher HRC on the Aculus does it really hold its edge longer?

The biggest issue with the Aculus compared to the TiSpine is that the jimping is useless on the Aculus whereas on the TiSpine it's much better and actually useful. Also, the spine of the handle is smooth on the Aculus but ridged for better functionality and aesthetics.

The dimensions of the LionSteel TiSpine and Blackwater Aculus are identical with a blade length of 3.346 inches (85mm).

Both the DPx Gear and Blackwater websites state it incorrectly as 3.03 inches although they both also say correctly as 85mm.

Thanks guys.

What's the difference between the Blackwater Aculus and LionSTEEL Ti Spine?
The knife was designed by Robert Young Pelton and that design is licensed to LionSTEEL.
Handle Pattern. The Ti Spine has a different pattern CNC'd on the handle (more angular and wraps around the back of the blade) whereas the Aculus handle pattern is softer and does not wrap around the entire handle.
Finish and Coating. The Aculus only comes in black on black (blade, handle, and components are all TiCN PVD coated) whereas the Ti Spine comes in various finishes and colors.
Availability. The Aculus is a limited edition knife and comes in custom black plexiglass packaging and is serialized.
Pivot Screw. The Aculus has a larger pivot screw than the Ti Spine.
Glass Breaker. The Aculus also has a glass breaker, the Ti Spine does not.

What's the difference between the Blackwater Aculus and LionSTEEL Ti Spine?
The knife was designed by Robert Young Pelton and that design is licensed to LionSTEEL.
Handle Pattern. The Ti Spine has a different pattern CNC'd on the handle (more angular and wraps around the back of the blade) whereas the Aculus handle pattern is softer and does not wrap around the entire handle.
Finish and Coating. The Aculus only comes in black on black (blade, handle, and components are all TiCN PVD coated) whereas the Ti Spine comes in various finishes and colors.
Availability. The Aculus is a limited edition knife and comes in custom black plexiglass packaging and is serialized.
Pivot Screw. The Aculus has a larger pivot screw than the Ti Spine.
Glass Breaker. The Aculus also has a glass breaker, the Ti Spine does not.

Thanks. I'm hip to all the differences you described. What was throwing me off was the specs for the blade size posted on a vendors website. One site posted a 3.03 inch blade size for the aculus. As I now know, this is inaccurate.

Too bad, I wanted a smaller knife.

Back