Titanium Mini Santoku with Carbide Edge

Ban

Been playing with this one today. Will get some pics up later.

that sounds really cool, but...

ttiwwop.gif

can't wait to see it!!

Here are a couple that I just took with my phone camera.

OAL is 7 1/2" with a 3 5/8" blade.
Full convex grind with zero convex edge. Carbide edge on one side.
Trying out a new finish on the titanium. It has a frosty pattern that is almost like damascus.

5344472524_f993b18d83_b.jpg

5343863047_c612d3d9a5_b.jpg

5343859809_88e603aa61_b.jpg

That's gotta be a SUPER light slicer. That looks like a melted frosty finish! Let us know how it holds and edge after some longer term testing.

Interesting. Ti with carbide. This might be the answer for Ti knives.

Warren Thomas has been using embedded carbide in Titanium for as long as I can remember.

When given a decent primary geometry the carbide does a pretty good job of allowing titanium to hold a decent edge while at the same time cut very well. This knife can easily slice slivers of paper after I polished the edge of the non carbide side. I then proceded to slice up a bunch of carboard. It started to drag a bit after about 25-30 cuts or so. At this point it could no longer easily and cleanly slice paper. However, it could have easily kept on cutting cardboard for much longer. 3 seconds on a leather belt and the edge is brand new again.

I think that carbidized titanium should work pretty well in a kitchen environment where the knife will mostly be cutting softer non abrasive material.

Last edited:
Here are a few more shots of the Ti-Mini Santoku

I tested it out a bit in the kitchen and it seemed to work well. Will try to slice and dice some other stuff tomorrow when I get a chance.

5345030739_8ab4513e03_b.jpg

5345030977_ff930a662b_b.jpg

5345031329_ec11ba234c_b.jpg

5345706120_eef87065b7_b.jpg

Last edited:
... stop... making/// knives... I WANT... lol damn looking for kitchen knives and that one is perfect.. MAKE MORE PLS :D

With all these kitchen knives you are doing I see a Ti carbide edge kitchen knife set in my future. I love my Shuns but a BT set would be sweet. Maybe Dan is on to something.

With all these kitchen knives you are doing I see a Ti carbide edge kitchen knife set in my future. I love my Shuns but a BT set would be sweet. Maybe Dan is on to something.

I personally like Ti Carbide Edge Kitchen knives very much. I used that mini santoku again this evening to dice up a few things and cut up some carboard around the house. Holds up well to that sort of work. Edge is still very toothy and aggressive. :thumbup:

I may have to make a medium size santoku out of that stuff to try out.

I would love a mini 4-5" santuko ultra thin titanium slicer.. /me waits for this knife patiently :)

Cool! I really like how you applied the carbide; sort of a faux hamon. Nice finish on the titanium also.

Back