Titanium Sword / Katana?

I am going to keep this short, just curious about any and all info you guys have on titanium swords. I have met a man who has spent a disclosed amount of time mastering the art of the titanium sword and has had some successful products. He says theyre much faster and stronger than typical sword steel. What are your guys thoughts? Should I try and get my hands on one of these?

Titanium is much softer and weaker than steel. It is stronger when you measure it by weight, but steel is much denser, and the maker would have to make the titanium thicker than a comparable steel sword to give it the same strength.

The added thickness would make the lighter weight of the titanium irrelevant. :(

I would avoid titanium blades since they won't be able to stay sharp and would have to be thicker to maintain strength which would reduce cutting ability. Simple steels like 1075 and other medium carbon steels tend to make great swords and machetes since they are very tough.

I hope that helps.

I think dragonetti nailed it. I'm by no means a metallurgist, but that's how I understand it.

BTW, who is maker who is producing titanium swords?

Im not sure if he wants me talking much about his project, but he has learned how to treat, and hammer the titanium correctly, and has one katana that has survived his destruction tests. He is a prominent metallurgist from what I understand, and so he understands the complex structure of titanium, and has slowly figured how to properly make it into swords. I thought it was very intriguing, so I just wanted to see if anyone had some thoughts on it.

I will be taking a tour of his workship this week hopefully.

Well, they work great when you can find enough unicorn piss and virgin dragon blood to do your quench in. It's hard to source that stuff these days though.

If you know a guy already doing it, and you believe him. Then yes, by all means get a hold of one and let us know what's what.

What style of sword is it? Photos?

How about a fancy cupronickel alloy.................inconnel sword anyone?

For when you HAVE to have your sword on your hip upon atmospheric re-entry.

If you know a guy already doing it, and you believe him. Then yes, by all means get a hold of one and let us know what's what.

What style of sword is it? Photos?

it is a traditional katana. I will upload photos, and give you guys any info I can as soon as I get the okay from the gentleman making the swords.

He has some experience in traditional sword fighting, so he knows how to put them to the test.

it is a traditional katana. I will upload photos, and give you guys any info I can as soon as I get the okay from the gentleman making the swords.

He has some experience in traditional sword fighting, so he knows how to put them to the test.

About the only thing he could keep traditional about it would be the geometry and fittings if the blade is going to be titanium.

There was someone doing this (may still be for all I know) a few years back. Their take were titanium swords with carbide edges if I remember correctly. They too had videos etc. showing that their swords could be used for test cutting (A naginata as well) etc. I had the chance to handle some of their stuff at the Blade show. I'll assume that their swords could do everything that they said they could, but in the end it wouldn't matter, because the very lightness messed with their effectiveness as a sword. Yes they were light, yes they were fast... and they would have to be because they were so light that you would have to swing them really hard to hit anything with an kind of authority. Part of using a sword is the impact and it would be hard to generate any sort of impact with those swords. It would be like hitting someone with a sharpened dowel rod. It would probably be "ouchy" but there's so little inertia there that it would be prone to bouncing. They also felt really weird in the hand.

I would expect that any sort of super light sword would suffer from the same problems.

Just my thoughts.

Don't they use titanium swords for renaissance props? Steel has a tendency to shatter violently. Also, look up sm100 if you want to see a titanium that is good for knives at least

in the end it wouldn't matter, because the very lightness messed with their effectiveness as a sword. .

That is what I was thinking. A real steel sword is a pretty good weight if made correctly with distal taper.

here's my first in 6-4

[removed]

I think Broos made a differentially hardened beta ti sword

In any case Ti and Ti alloys are not as strong as "properly" hardened steel blades (kinda like cheap machete or cheap kitchen knife) also the elastic modulus is comparatively low, but it can be done, is very tough, and rust proof. High collector value imho.

Regarding the weight, I have no doubt that too light a sword is weird; however 2lb of Ti is no lighter than 2lb of steel

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't they use titanium swords for renaissance props? Steel has a tendency to shatter violently. Also, look up sm100 if you want to see a titanium that is good for knives at least

No, typically they use aluminum swords not because of their durability but because of their lightness and cheapness. Titanium might have the lightness but it is definitely not cheap. Properly heat treated steel does not have a tendency to shatter violently, if it did we probably wouldn't have used swords as weapons for a millenia or so.

here's my first in 6-4

[removed]

I think Broos made a differentially hardened beta ti sword

In any case Ti and Ti alloys are not as strong as "properly" hardened steel blades (kinda like cheap machete or cheap kitchen knife) also the elastic modulus is comparatively low, but it can be done, is very tough, and rust proof. High collector value imho.

Regarding the weight, I have no doubt that too light a sword is weird; however 2lb of Ti is no lighter than 2lb of steel

It's true that 2 lbs is 2 lbs but if you are not going to have a lighter sword what rationale would there be for having a titanium sword at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
I work with Titanium on the regular, the 6Al4V version anyways. I just can't see it making a very good blade. Great for silencer parts, and other applicaitons, but I don't think blades. I guess I'm on the wagon of I need to see/understand to believe!

As far as samwiching another type of edge material in there, I maybe could see that working, but not pure....I guess I just can't wrap my mind around it.

With all due respect there really is no need for it and no matter what there are better materials for a sword blade

Back