To Tinker or Not to Tinker ... or Super Tinker, or Small Tinker, or Spartan, or ...

First I started (five months ago? BOY, how time flies!) on Opinels. Then small Leatherman MTs. Then Spydercos (and byrds). And while I'm not done with ANY of those (nor am I closing the door on other brands), I am now looking at SAKs. I recently made my first actual SAK purchase (NOT the first genuine SAK I ever owned -- got a Pocket Pal as a gift when I was a kid) just a couple weeks ago -- and (maybe a surprise to some) it was a Secretary (an Alox-handled version of that Pocket Pal). And while it only has two blades (large and small) and no other tools, I have to say that I love it!

Now I'm looking at what will likely be a follow-up SAK purchase -- this time with tools. Something that I can carry in my pocket as part of my EDC rotation (save the larger SAKs -- where you need a sheath or belt pouch -- for later), in addition to another blade (one of the aforementioned Spydies or byrds). And, for the moment, I am looking at some of the medium-sized models (say, 84- to 93-mm). Even in the classic Red Cellidor scales (although I'm certainly not ruling out other colors, or Alox, or even hardwood handles).

Of course, there lies a problem: There's still LOTS OF DIFFERENT MODELS TO CHOOSE FROM!!! At first glance, I thought of the Spartan -- simply because it's a classic (practically a direct-line descendant of the original "Officer's Model"). But then I find out about the Tinker -- EXACTLY THE SAME as the Spartan, but with a Phillips screwdriver in place of the corkscrew. And since I'm more likely to use a screwdriver than a corkscrew (Yes, I know you can use a corkscrew for more than just wine bottles), the Tinker went to the top of my Wish List.

But then you read about the Super Tinker (adds scissors and a hook -- not necessarily a deal-breaker if I don't have them, but certainly nice, except they add thickness and weight). And then the Tinker Deluxe (adds pliers to the Super Tinker -- AND more thickness and weight). And then the Small Tinker (same tools as the regular Tinker -- maybe a little smaller -- but also lighter). And then, even though you thought "Phillips screwdriver over Corkscrew," you read up some more about the Spartan. Then the Compact (take the Spartan, drop the small blade and can opener, add scissors). And the Tourist (a small Spartan, sorta like the Small Tinker). And the Climber (Spartan + scissors). And the Mechanic (Tinker + pliers). And th- That's about the point at which my head exploded (or, at least, it felt that way).

And my head exploded AGAIN* (figuratively) going on YouTube to learn more about them (and others). And I STILL haven't touched on any of the Wenger models still being produced (AFAIK, these are all Victorinox-based -- although I'm certainly open to Wenger-based).

Anyone else go through this? Anyone have suggestions? Comments? Particular methods on how you put all of the pieces of brain and skull back in place?

And (I'm serious this time) are there any OTHER SAKs currently made that I might have missed (given my particular size and tool interests), that you think are worthy of consideration?

And Yes, I realize that I may wind up buying more than one of these aforementioned SAKs (not to mention larger AND smaller models). I'm just trying to narrow the field a bit for that next SAK purchase w/out doing permanent damage to my mind.

* EDIT 7/9 -- Accidentally left out an "AGAIN" in that sentence. Probably a part of the brain I hadn't put back in place at the time. :p

Last edited:
IMhO, you can't go wrong with a Super Tinker as a starter. It has the basics. Use one of these for a while, take note of what you like and what you wish it had and you will get a more clear idea what fits your lifestyle best. You might find The One or wind up with several. My wife is good with one (Climber,) while I have five: OH Trekker, Swisschamp, Super Tinker, Sportsman II*, and Rambler, each with its special niche. Advice can be helpful, but only experience will teach what you really need to know.

*recently replacing Tinker because of suddenly needing a portable corkscrew often for the first time in my life (long story.)

Last edited:
I prefer the 91mm Tinker. I like the dedicated philips driver as I have no use for a corkscrew. I am one of the few that doesn't care for scissors on a multitool.

The Tinker has a great toolset, and is in my opinion the best bang for the size. I like the small secondary blade, generally using it for most tasks and keeping the large blade sharp for when I need it.

My typical carry is Tinker in the city, Farmer outside the city limits.

I've been carrying a basic red-handled Spartan in my left cargo pocket lately. I don't use the corkscrew much, except for occasionally loosening overly-tight knots, but it does hold my eyeglass screwdriver, which does get used. I've carried a Tinker before, but rarely use the Phillips due to it often being too short. I often use the can opener's screwdriver for Phillips screws anyway. A two-layer SAK is the limit for me as far as pocket carry. I'd rather pocket carry my Pioneer over the Spartan, except that I EDC a Swisstool Spirit on my belt, which has what the Pioneer (as well as the Farmer) has, and more. At least the Spartan can carry my eyeglass screwdriver, and is good for when I don't feel like taking out the Spirit.

Jim

Download the 2015 Victorinox catalog

http://static.victorinox.com/medias/sys_master/swissarmyknives/8920056332318.pdf

Bookmark SAKWiki

http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php

Master the product line. It is a good mental exercise.

In bourgeois society the legal fiction prevails that each person, as a buyer, has an encyclopedic knowledge of commodities.
—Karl Marx, Capital

Once you understand the product line and know what part of it interests you, there is no reason not to collect it. Hundreds of TSA confiscated SAKs are sold every day on the big auction site. The common models can be won at auction for $5–$10 plus $2-$3 postage. I have rated the models with a Phillips screwdriver by how easy they are to win at auction for a reasonable price.

Easy: Tinker, Super Tinker, small Tinker (84 mm)
Moderate: Hiker, Fieldmaster, Explorer, Troubleshooter
Challenging: Mechanic, Deluxe Tinker, Spartan Lite, Craftsman, Champion, Champion Plus, any of the Cybertools

Last edited:
I'd suggest Super Tinker as well... a nice compromise of weight/width and the scissors are amazing.
I for one carry as Tinker, as I also carry a Rogue and its scissors are enough for me.

Deluxe Tinker I find too thick, especially if you don't really need pliers.
The Small Tinker is a tad too small for my hands.
The Compact is amazing, but it has the combo tool which is useless as a prybar (unlike the regular cap lifter).
The Spartan's main issue for me isn't the lack of Philips (the can opener makes a nice 2D Philips), but the fact the corkscrew is less confortable to hold than the backside Philips.

Other models you might like:
Victorinox Pioneer - bigger, beefier blade, great scales, perfect ergonomics, awesome awl and the can opener makes a passable 2D Philips.
Victorinox Delemont (Wenger) Evo 16 - same quality as the Super Tinker, in a smaller, more ergonomic package, with a nice, big-bellied blade. You get an extra nailfile and nail cleaner and a stronger pair of self-sharpening scissors. If you get the Evogrip version it will have amazing rubbery grip. Id you get the S version, your main blade will be lockable. On the minus side, the scissors are serrated and a bit bouncy, so really poor for paper or nails...

I prefer the Deluxe Tinker; pliers and scissors. I carry mine in a belt pouch. At home I carry a regular 91mm Tinker in my pocket as I have easy access to other tools at home.
Rich

I suggest the Regular Tinker I own one of these knives and I use it as my EDC knife and I love it.

Just a heads-up on which way I'm leaning towards at this point, and a Muchas Gracias to everyone who responded so far. First the MG -- some great suggestions, AND some helpful info (already had SAKWiki bookmarked, but I didn't have the Victorinox catalog pdf -- Thanks, Piso!).

Right now, my current thought is to try and keep the SAK purchase reasonably thin and light for easy pocket carry. And while the Super Tinker certainly LOOKS like it wouldn't be difficult to EDC in a pocket (not at about 84 grams heavy and 17 mm thick -- or 3 oz and roughly 2/3rds of an inch), ATM I'm interested in going even lighter and thinner -- so probably "two-layer" SAKs for now (moving up later on). Still thinking the 91mm Tinker (mainly because I see more use out of the Phillips), but I am also considering the Compact as the inevitable follow-up (SAKs are like pistachios -- you can never have just ONE), for several of the tools (scissors, postal hook, mini-screwdriver, corkscrew -- I never said I'd NEVER get one!) not on the Tinker. After those two, . . . well, that would depend on what I find myself using the most on those two, and deciding accordingly (like maybe a Super Tinker or Climber, or whatever).

In any case, that's just my thoughts for NOW -- always subject to change. So, again, Muchas Gracias for the comments (and I'm certainly open to hearing MORE)!

Last edited:
If you can live with a round tip blade, I suggest the 84mm Victorinox Junior 09

8896476610590_SAK_2_4213_SKE__S1_74903_tif_1.jpg;j  sessionid=A88B2BC8948037137B71330A98E9E5F4

or the Wenger Junior 09 if you find a good price.

515anJoQcbL._SY355_.jpg

They are same knife except for Victorinox vs. Wenger nail files, tweezers and toothpicks which are not deal makers or breakers for most of us.

For something 91mm and just a bit off the beaten path, find a UK dealer who will sell you the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Pocket Tool.

show_image.php

Be the first one on your block etc. If ignorant yanks ask about the logo, tell them D of E = Duke of Earl and Gene Chandler will always be the King.

[video=youtube;0bw55sR4ec8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bw55sR4ec8[/video]

If a round tip blade is unacceptable, the 84mm small Tinker is back in production: $20 from the usual sources, and correspondingly cheaper used on the big auction site.

Last edited:
Once you understand the product line and know what part of it interests you, there is no reason not to collect it. Hundreds of TSA confiscated SAKs are sold every day on the big auction site. The common models can be won at auction for $5–$10 plus $2-$3 postage. I have rated the models with a Phillips screwdriver by how easy they are to win at auction for a reasonable price.

Easy: Tinker, Super Tinker, small Tinker (84 mm)
Moderate: Hiker, Fieldmaster, Explorer, Troubleshooter
Challenging: Mechanic, Deluxe Tinker, Spartan Lite, Craftsman, Champion, Champion Plus, any of the Cybertools

I browse the auctions every now and then, but the prices I see are always higher than simply buying online.

The deals all seem to revolve around buying SAKs in lots and then you're gambling that the picture accurately represents what's in a particular log.

What am I missing?

I browse the auctions every now and then, but the prices I see are always higher than simply buying online.

The deals all seem to revolve around buying SAKs in lots and then you're gambling that the picture accurately represents what's in a particular log.

What am I missing?

This is off topic, so I will keep it short.

1. Search the whole site, be specific in your search, and start with something easy (e.g. Victorinox Tinker/auction only)
  2. See where your results come from, and narrow your searches to the "good" part of the site.
  3. Start with sellers with lots of sales and 99% positive feedback. When in doubt, read the negative feedback.
  4. Use bid sniping software. It's free.
  5. Be persistent.
Don't forget to check Blade Forums first! Support your fellow Forum members, and you can skip steps 1, 2 and 4.

If you need more specific help, send me a PM.

Last edited:
This is off topic, so I will keep it short.

1. Search the whole site, be specific in your search, and start with something easy (e.g. Victorinox Tinker/auction only)
  2. See where your results come from, and narrow your searches to the "good" part of the site.
  3. Start with sellers with lots of sales and 99% positive feedback. When in doubt, read the negative feedback.
  4. Use bid sniping software. It's free.
  5. Be persistent.
Don't forget to check Blade Forums first! Support your fellow Forum members, and you can skip steps 1, 2 and 4.

If you need more specific help, send me a PM.

Thanks! It's the "Be persistent" part that I'm not doing...

... And sometimes you find a deal where you least expect it. Like at your local Wally-World. Went there this morning for grocery shopping, walked by the knife display at Sporting Goods (also looking for rimfire ammo -- and striking out, as usual), and noticed a Super Tinker (in blister pack, including a leather pouch) for $25 (cheapest I found it for via Amazon and related stores was about $30 -- w/out a pouch or sheath).

One down (larger than I expected, but still pocketable) -- at LEAST one to go (still interested in the Compact).

One approach is to reverse-engineer the problem, by listing in descending order the tools you think you want/need the most, and then cross-referencing that with the available models and your size tolerance. While this might sound like a nerdy bore-fest, it can be sorta fun to think about if you are into this kind of stuff.

The models that rise to the top for me are: Manager, Compact, Super Tinker and Explorer Plus. For my part, scissors are probably the most important feature (I carry a modern folder for the quick-deploying blade), along with flat and phillips drivers and a mini-pen if possible ("Plus" models). I despise the corkscrew as an unnecessary waste of space, and have no need for a saw. Tools like the magnifier on the Explorer Plus can be surprisingly useful too. Its one of those deals where you don't realize how handy a tool is until you start carrying it.

<closing eyes and placing my fingers over my temples> I'm seeing a Compact in your future.

i came in here to suggest a compact but it looks like your already considering it :)

FWIW the compact and climber are my two favorite SAK's

I carried the Huntsman for 20 years. It's too big for comfortable pocket carry, but was perfect in my back pack.

I've recently purchased a variety of SAKs off the auction site and after some experimentation, I've decided that the length is more important for pocket comfort that width. For example, my 85mm 3-layer Vic Evogrip 16 or Wenger Traveler is actually more comfortable than my 91mm 2-layer Tinker. The 91mm 3-layer Super Tinker is tolerable in my pocket, but I notice it when it's there so I'm more inclined to carry in a pouch on my belt (it came with one...awfully convenient!).

I'm waiting for a Small Tinker to arrive. If it's as invisible in my pocket as the Bantam, then I'll probably make it my EDC and just rely on my Classic for scissors and nail file. If not, then I'll carry the Evogrip 16 or Wenger Traveler.

The 91mm 3-layer Super Tinker is tolerable in my pocket, but I notice it when it's there so I'm more inclined to carry in a pouch on my belt (it came with one...awfully convenient!).

Yeah, I've been carrying my Super Tinker for over a week in the belt pouch it came with. Definitely convenient -- especially since it's freed up my right front pocket some (used to be I carried a small Leatherman -- up to a Juice S2 -- along w/ whatever main blade would fit comfortably).

Still planning on the Compact for the next knife purchase (don't know when; money's a bit tight now). Problem then is . . . what next? Smaller (Small Tinker)? Larger (Deluxe Tinker, or the inevitable SwissChamp)? Alox (Pioneer? Or perhaps an Alox Bantam?)? A Wenger-based Vic (S111? S16? S557 for more of a "Deluxe" Tinker?)? TBD.

Still planning on the Compact for the next knife purchase (don't know when; money's a bit tight now). Problem then is . . . what next? Smaller (Small Tinker)? Larger (Deluxe Tinker, or the inevitable SwissChamp)? Alox (Pioneer? Or perhaps an Alox Bantam?)? A Wenger-based Vic (S111? S16? S557 for more of a "Deluxe" Tinker?)? TBD.

Hopefully you'll find what you like.

I thought I was on the path to getting a Compact, but when I discovered that I could carry a 85mm 3-layer SAK as comfortably as a 91mm 2-layer SAK, I realized I could have large scissors without giving up the regular openers layer and the awl.

But I've also realized that as long as I have a Classic on my key chain, perhaps I don't need to have scissors or a nail file on my larger SAK at all, so I might end up carrying a 2-layer SAK anyways.

Only time will tell. I clearly have several more SAKs to purchase...

Back