Todd's "Sweatin to the oldies" weight loss thread

If you lost a kidney the last time you went to Tijuana, then perhaps, given your motivation, you should try that again. All weight loss helps!!! I hear a lung weighs about 5 pounds.

Good job Murph!!!!! :D

I didnt get pics of it, but I weighed myself this morning at 251lbs. Now this weekend is going to be a real challenge. It is not only Super Bowl weekend, but my 40th Birthday as well, I expect my wife will take me out to eat as she usually does and will probably have some snacks and some beer for the game. I'll try to stick with it this weekend, but its gonna be awfull hard to not partake.

You're on the way, Todd. Just use a little self control to get through the weekend and you'll be fine.

Congrats on the 40th!

And based on your other post about three jobs . . . that in itself ought to go a long way toward helping in your weight loss program.

You won't have time to eat . . . :D

Speaking form experience, after I lost about 60 lbs I was a cheap date between drinking less and the loss of body mass. I had to work hard to build a tolerance back up. Please, don't let Murph take advantage of you in the meantime.

Speaking form experience, after I lost about 60 lbs I was a cheap date between drinking less and the loss of body mass. I had to work hard to build a tolerance back up. Please, don't let Murph take advantage of you in the meantime.

Im not worried about that. even under the worse case scenario, I have a inflatable sheep here at the shop. So, since we know since hes a drunken Irishman, I will have no appeal to him.........man this thread is taking a bad turn........Damn you guys! :D

Haha... I imagine its on a cord like one of the rapid inflatable rafts. Just in case you need it in a hurry.

Yea. The Mods are gonna get irritable here soon.

You could always spend Super Bowl Sunday in your shop, away from all that "evil on a plate." ;)

Just found this thread, really neat and funny, since june 2 of 2013 I have lost 73 LBS. from a 6.0 frame at 274 lbs. Chest has 56, waist 40, shirt 20 1/2, size 14 eee shoes. Not sure what any of that means, but I lifted massive amounts of wt, full Smith Machine set up in 40/72 ft basement, Hack machine, lat, machine, cables everywhere. 2 set barbells 20-150 each. over 2800 lbs free wt. did not say I was not lazy about changing plates, at 54 I need very second of rest Ha.ha

went to Dr, June 2nd 2013 and 3 words dropped the 73 lbs, "you got cancer".. but, for once in my life I can wear sexy jeans and a xxl shirt fits, hard to find designed tees in a 4x.. regardless, of future. I am glad to get the wt. off, I carried it, but it feels better, and my bedroom life is 100000 % better, I had always covered the wt with the fact I was strong. I can't bench 250 now, but God is good.

]
If you lost a kidney the last time you went to Tijuana, then perhaps, given your motivation, you should try that again. All weight loss helps!!! I hear a lung weighs about 5 pounds.

Good job Murph!!!!!

Just found this thread, really neat and funny, since june 2 of 2013 I have lost 73 LBS. from a 6.0 frame at 274 lbs. Chest has 56, waist 40, shirt 20 1/2, size 14 eee shoes. Not sure what any of that means, but I lifted massive amounts of wt, full Smith Machine set up in 40/72 ft basement, Hack machine, lat, machine, cables everywhere. 2 set barbells 20-150 each. over 2800 lbs free wt. did not say I was not lazy about changing plates, at 54 I need very second of rest Ha.ha

went to Dr, June 2nd 2013 and 3 words dropped the 73 lbs, "you got cancer".. but, for once in my life I can wear sexy jeans and a xxl shirt fits, hard to find designed tees in a 4x.. regardless, of future. I am glad to get the wt. off, I carried it, but it feels better, and my bedroom life is 100000 % better, I had always covered the wt with the fact I was strong. I can't bench 250 now, but God is good.

]

Wow t4m, Congrads on the wieght loss. sorry to hear about the cancer. where are you at with it?

You dont have to be SUPER healthy, or Starve yourself, or Workout like a lunatic. Really just paying more attention to what your eating, and how much, added to drinking a lot of water, and some walking will put a pretty big dent in your goal I think.

This.

Since the end of last summer, I've shed over 60 pounds, and it was easier than I thought it would be. My daughter cracks me up though. Every time I mention "fat Papa," she looks sad and says, "I miss him." :p

Three things helped me:

(1) I saw a coworker drop a good amount of weight pretty quickly with diet and exercise. Seeing is believing.

(2) At his recommendation and my wife's recommendation, I food logged so I could keep track of exactly what I was eating. MyFitnessPal.com has an extensive database of foods, so I did not have to constantly enter food label info into a spreadsheet. Most everything is already there, and it's easy to enter new foods and recipes. There's even a smart phone app that scans UPC codes on packaging. The platform will make recommendations based on weight, exercise level, and target weight, and it will keep it safe. If you don't eat enough on a given day, it will basically tell you to go eat more calories. The first few weeks were kind of tough as I went from what was likely a 4K calorie/day habit (or more) down to about 1600 calories a day. But once I got used to the routine, it was easy. I dropped from a high of 229 down to a current weight that is fluctuating between 165 and 170. The system also taught me to use my calories wisely so that I was eating more nutritious and filling food rather than junk with empty calories.

(3) I started running. Well, walking at first to get my knees stronger. Then, I did the Zen Labs "Couch to 5K" program and ran a 5K back in October. At the end of November, I ran a five-miler, and I have some 5K's and 10K's in my sights this year. I run about three times a week, and when it warms up, I'll start doing more trail runs.

I'm in weight maintenance mode now and eating around 2300-2400 calories/day. My wind is back, and I can run 6-7 miles without any issue (other than tight calves/Achilles). I want to work mostly on strength and flexibility at this point. Maybe I'll finally take up rock climbing now that I don't have to heft so much ass up the side of a cliff. :p

You can do it, and it's simple science. Burn more than you eat. Go slow and safe.

Oh, and as for the Super Bowl / birthday combo, I say live it up. One day isn't going to make or break you. The important thing is consistency overall, but you have to splurge now and then.
Vacations, special events, etc. Those are times I go off the chart. One meal isn't going to kill you. I've never seen much of a blip in my weight because of one day. Just make them truly "special events," and don't put too many "one days" back to back.
Sometimes, you might eat a lot of sodium, especially in spicy or processed foods, and see a jump because of water retention, but it doesn't stick around long if you get back to your plan.

Want more inspiration?

• I don't sweat like I used to. With all that fat, my body didn't regulate heat like it's supposed to. Now, I only sweat when Moose is around and wearing a kilt.
  • My gear fits so much better. All my old hunting and kayaking clothes fit. My kayaks ride higher. I'll actually get to use my paddle board this year without fear of sinking it. Even my packs fit better.
  • I don't tire as quickly. At one point, walking up a couple flights of stairs would wind me. I get more done in general because I'm not worn out.
  • My knees have thanked me. At one point, I got tendonitis in my knees by overdoing exercise, but a big part of the story was the weight my knees were carrying.

Guyon! let me have it man! I was really hoping you would chime in, I know you've been successfull in sheading quite of few lbs. Congrads! I'll take all the advice, recipes and sh!t you wanna give me! :thumbup: Thanks!

I really think the food logging is huge. If you're like me, you don't realize how much you're taking in until you see it on the screen in numbers.
And you don't have to go as severe as I did from the start. Admittedly, I was grumpy as hell for three or four weeks until my body acclimated.
On MFP.com, for instance, you can set the pace of your weight loss so that you gradually scale yourself down to a healthier intake. Just takes some finagling of the settings and some patience and decent discipline.

MFP.com adds in calories when you exercise. At first, I was pretty adamant about NOT eating into my earned calories. Weight loss went quicker, but it was tougher.
Now that I don't want to lose any more weight, I tend to eat back the calories I burn. On long run days where I burn 800-1000 calories exercising, it's actually kind of tough for me to eat that much, so I wind up eating four or five smaller meals instead of three.

Oh yeah, a food scale is essential if you're going to keep an eye on what you eat.
This one has been rock solid for me: http://www.taylorusa.com/kitchen/food-scales/biggest-loser-kitchen-scale-1.html
All the major vendors and box stores carry it.

Weighing food is probably the biggest pain, but it keeps you honest, and after a while, you get pretty good at eyeballing stuff and estimating (at restaurants, other people's houses, etc.)
If it's not quick and easy to log something, I usually just take a quick pic of a meal with my phone, and then use it later to log the food.

Well I managed to stay in the low 250 ish range during the weekend of my birthday and the Super Bowl (which sucked bigtime) so, back to stickin with the plan, I wanted to start a exercise program by now but since I started to work part time for my buddy, I find that crawling under a Peterbilt semi about 2 dozed times a evening tends to wear a man out.

I have to agree with biscuit about logging your food. I use the calorie counter that congress with the My Fitness Pal app. It's got a huge database of food and the ability to scan barcodes- if you have a smart phone obviously

hmmm...
at my current mass, shoveling snow for 30 minutes burns 370 calories -- I wonder what plowing driveways in an open cab tractor burns at 8 degrees F?
(other than a lot of diesel)

hmmm...
at my current mass, shoveling snow for 30 minutes burns 370 calories -- I wonder what plowing driveways in an open cab tractor burns at 8 degrees F?
(other than a lot of diesel)

I know how ya feel. I shoveled for 2.5 hours straight last night (driveway, sidewalks and 1/4 of my roof-long story-lol). My Fitness pal said I burned 1,912 calories. I believe it. I slept like a rock last night:D

I didnt get a pic of it, but the scale said 248 this morning. that is officially a loss of 20 lbs since I started! Yay!

Back