Tomcat 3.0 grips

Dear SOG,

As stated in other threads i am a diehard Tomcat fanatic. I own more than a dozen of various types and models. I love them and touch them and hold them and pet them and call them George.

However- on the newest incarnation of this finest of folding knives SOG has seen fit to cut off the rear top corner of the Kraton grips in order to reveal a clever little "SOG" carved in the liner- as if we, who pay nearly extortionist prices for these knives, are somehow unawares of the maker of these fine folders- and i assure this is NOT helpful in either an advertising nor utilitarian context.

PLEASE- i don't mind paying for the knives at all. But i do want my knife to be firm and comfortable in my hand in any task. With that little piece of metal uncovered right at the pressure-points on the heel of my hand i am not glad for this arrangement.

Put your very effective Kraton rubberized grips on the whole handles and let the knives do the advertising by their quality?

Love,

TwoDogKnight

(Yes, i'm serious)

Last edited:
Sadly I doubt anyone from SOG will hear you. Chris hasn't logged in for a couple of years. I understand what you are saying though.

LOL!!! Someone has seen the abominable snowman and Bugs Bunny too much! :D

No comment on the blades. I'm sure they're great, but none of them have clips. I don't do knives without clips. Don't like sheaths at all.

But hey, if you find some great custom scales, post up pictures. I do like looking at nice knives with some custom touches.

I have a Tomcat 3.0 and a Vulcan VL-03. Both have the little "tab" part of the frame sticking out at the back with the "SOG" letters.
In both cases I do not find these tabs an interference to my grip or comfort. I see that, although moreso in the Vulcan than the Tomcat,
that in the fully folded position the blade tip extends far enough that if that "tab" portion did not exist, it might pose a safety issue.
I too am not fond of SOG's current marketing practice of putting S-O-G everywhere they can so yes, I do think the lettering is not really
necessary. It seems to cater to a teens-to-20s customer base, leaving those of us who knew and supported SOG from decades ago out in the cold. I suppose an option would be to extend the handle material Kraton/FRN over that tab area.
DSC_0792_zpsamvefafa.jpg

As for the Tomcat not having a clip, I think it's a matter of personal choice. I have folders both with and without clips. For knives that I consider EDC I prefer a clip. But some of my larger folders, like my BM 275 Adamas and SOF Spec Elite II both have clips but are either too heavy or too big for me to want to carry with a clip and I prefer them in a belt sheath. The Tomcat 3.0 while not excessively big is fairly heavy and I suppose it could go both ways.

Finally, as Cray pointed out, don't think anyone from SOG reads this (or any other) forum anymore anyway. SOG's facebook page is probably a better place to send them a message.

I have a Tomcat 3.0 and a Vulcan VL-03. Both have the little "tab" part of the frame sticking out at the back with the "SOG" letters.
In both cases I do not find these tabs an interference to my grip or comfort. I see that, although moreso in the Vulcan than the Tomcat,
that in the fully folded position the blade tip extends far enough that if that "tab" portion did not exist, it might pose a safety issue.
I too am not fond of SOG's current marketing practice of putting S-O-G everywhere they can so yes, I do think the lettering is not really
necessary. It seems to cater to a teens-to-20s customer base, leaving those of us who knew and supported SOG from decades ago out in the cold. I suppose an option would be to extend the handle material Kraton/FRN over that tab area.
DSC_0792_zpsamvefafa.jpg

As for the Tomcat not having a clip, I think it's a matter of personal choice. I have folders both with and without clips. For knives that I consider EDC I prefer a clip. But some of my larger folders, like my BM 275 Adamas and SOF Spec Elite II both have clips but are either too heavy or too big for me to want to carry with a clip and I prefer them in a belt sheath. The Tomcat 3.0 while not excessively big is fairly heavy and I suppose it could go both ways.

Finally, as Cray pointed out, don't think anyone from SOG reads this (or any other) forum anymore anyway. SOG's facebook page is probably a better place to send them a message.

Thanks to everyone who shared a thought. KenHash- you hit the nail on the head for me: i just don't care for the uncovered piece of metal sticking up at the corners. I just want a full Kraton handle on my Tomcats.

I own other SOG's too, but the T3 is my favorite and i use it a lot. That lil piece bugs me more than hurts but it still looks re-donk-u-lous imho.

And thanks for the pointer about Fb. I hate going there and still recall when Chris cared about this forum and spent a lot of time here.

I personally don't usually care for clips but some thinner knives are more useful w/a clip, like the Auto-Tac w/the Bowie-style blade.

It sure would be nice if SOG visited here occasionally.

I have to admit i've become a bit of a traitor to my SOG love lately- i've got a couple BM AFO II's which fit my hand like my own sensitive spots ;-).

OP, Sorry to resurrect your old thread but, I've got to agree with you. I think the way the SOG logo is carved into the liner does diminish the look and feel of the knife. I purchased my Tomcat 3.0 about a year ago and unfortunately, it's just been a safe queen.

Back