Tools For The Keyring

Let's discuss the minimum set of useful tools you can always have with you because it's on your keyring.

That's for me an M2 Sebertool, a Leatherman Micra, Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper and a green Photon II. The Sebertool gives me the pliers, wirecutter and two sturdy screwdrivers (regular, Phillips). In the Micra I have the tiny screwdrivers, the scissors, tweezers and file. Which makes these two are a perfect match. The Sliver Gripper is simply the best tweezer out there, while the Photon is the smallest light for the keyring.

What else is a MUST? Some kind of lighter would be nice, but they are usually too big/heavy for a keychain.

Hi Ralf,
I'm glad to see other people like the Sliver Gripper. I have been carrying one for years and it's come in handy several times. I've given them as gifts only to be greeted with a mildly confused look ("He's giving me tweezers?"). I also carry one of the military canopeners (P38) on my keys at all times. There is also a stellite knife pick made by George Young on there. I've used it as a mini prybar a couple of times.

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

[This message has been edited by Paul Davidson (edited 01-10-2000).]

Here are all the things that I have carried at one time or another on my key chains.

Flat round screwdriver from Sears.

Small canister with rubber sealed cap (all metal) originally meant for oil, I used it for gun oil.

Magnesium firestarter.

Compass/thermometer.

Leather strip-to be used as a field expedient sling pouch-holes prepunched.

SAK-Executive model.

P-38 can opener.

Small "kobutan" with triangular blade.

The split rings can be used for wire saw handles or slip knots for snares.

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

You use what you have on you, then you improvise! :)

I've been looking for a good pair of tweezers for removing splinters, where can I find these silver grippers?

I think a bottle opener is a must. you always need to be able to pop open a beer!!

8Ball: I used to think that until I discovered that it`s real easy using your teeth (if you take it slow)

As long as yer in someone elses house, youc an always use the edge of the table, or if I'm near my bulletproof metal desk...
smile.gif

I carry a bottle opener on my keychain. Were I to find a small, key sized metal-match (Or buy the dinky one that the Boy Scouts sells) I'd carry that. I once carried a AAA mini-mag, and liked it immensely for light-weight ratio, but discovered that they will unscrew themselves from their base, and was left with only the base after a while. (If anyone out in Colorado finds my light, please return it. I'll pay shipping...
smile.gif
). I know people that carry knives, but don't see much point in a knife small enough to fit on my keychain, and I've had friends with sebertools, and have been less than impressed with them. (One in particular was a stocking-stuffer a few years back, it was broken by Twelth-night).

In reality, I manage to wander out of my house more often without keys than without my other belt-tools, as evidenced by the number of times I used the window at my old house as a door... Unless you work in conditions that prevent wearing things on ones belt, I'd prefer that method. Though I might still put a firestarter on my keychain... (Greg, do you have som 1-2" pieces of 1/4" metal match material you could sell as keychains?)

Stryver

ste: DON"T use your teeth!! One day you will find it to be the most expensive bottle opener you have ever used. I hope you were kidding. Use the edge of a table or ledge or the door latch of your car.
I carry: Cold Steel Tuff-Lite, P-38 ( great for prying and screwdriver, utili-key,photon II, SAK-manager,used to carry Sebertool.

Stryver,

I can have 1/4 inch by 2 1/2 inch Metal match where the upper portion is attached to a dowel and a hole drilled. This allows it to be attached to a keychain. If people are interested... I'll post on this site when I can have them ready for shipping. I'm not sure of the total cost yet but it should be between $3 and $16
smile.gif

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

Greg:
Why attached to a dowel?

I'd have to ponder it, but I'd probably be willing to pay $5-$10 for one.

Stryver

My wife calls my keyring a lethal weapon.

I use one of those rings that have multiple easily removeable rings on it so that its easy to detach and reattach keys or tools.

Besides keys, I have
a Leatherman micra tool
a plastic whistle that really screams
a tiny screwdriver used for eyeglass screws
a pocket screwdriver w/ 4 sizes
a brass spring loaded catch (like used on dog chains)
a mini-mag light where I removed the braided cord and replaced with a 7 inch dog collar chain.

Since CCW permits are not permitted in Ohio, the mini-mag light with chain makes this key ring quite ominous. When in parking lots, I always carry my key ring by the mag light with the rest dangling or swinging. The brass latch makes it nice to hook to a belt loop on my pants, and I usually tuck the light into a back pocket.

I plan on adding one of Doug's metal matches.

------------------
AirMojo the Airgunning Harmonica Man

Ron Hood described a keyring setup that he uses while flying. I think it included some paracord, a padlock and??. Simply effective. I can't find the thread. Ron, would you mind going over the air key-rig again? Thanks, Jason

One of the biggest benefits of this forum and Doc Ron's is it lets each of us know that our survival afflictions (survival kit keychains, collections of containers, jacket pockets that are always stuffed with paracord/matches etc.) are shared by others. My normal key chain used to weigh about 45 pounds
smile.gif
It had more keys than a custodian, flat screwdriver, eyeglass screwdriver, p-38 opener,and bottle opener. I finally took my car key off, attached it to a medium sized SAK and now carry the key ring in my briefcase!

I too would love to hear about Ron's air travel key ring. I have been pondering what knife/kit would be allowed on a plane.

John

Airmojo,

I use an almost identical rig.

I dropped the mini-maglight a few years ago for an Asp Key Defender. It's the same size as the maglight so it works as a handle and for kubotan techniques, and it holds pepper spray. The maglights kept failing after a couple of years in my pocket. For travel by air I replace the Key Defender with a maglight or a SAK. It's never caused any problems at security checkpoints.

Also dangling from the main ring are:

Fox 40 Whistle
Micra
Swiss-Tech tool
Keys
p-38
Powerful Pete pocket screwdriver
Red and white photonlights
Spring loaded catch for holding rental car keys, etc

All items are attached to a main ring with those ball-detent quick release keyholder things. It enables me to release the car keys so all that weight isn't bouncing from the ignition switch. It's also handy to be able to release individual tools.

Back