Toothpicks

This posting is mainly for TEXTOOTHPK. These are 2 toothpicks under the Schrade Cut Co ( pre 46 approx ). This is the last marking used before going to the Schrade Walden tang. It was used 1930-1948. If you look at the cell knife it appears cracked it isn't in fact it is like new that is just the way the cell is made. still it looks like it is cracked right through the rivet. Actually it was my good fortune that years ago it was made that way. When it was made ( 60 or so years ago ) the foreman took it off the line for that very reason he gave it to a worker since they could not sell it and I got it from him 50 years later. It is rare to find one in unused condition and actually the lines really give it a beautiful effect. Notice the blade is not flat ground as are most of there larger knives and it has a line bolster crimp. I believe it to be a #1083AC.

The second knife is a 1083 3/4 jigged bone flat ground no crimp again unused old stock. I hope you like them they are getting kind of rare it is a beautiful pattern of knife Oh yes I should add genuine Carbon steel. Good Hunting LT

Thank you very much, Rich. I've download and printed your excellent photos to file in my 'need folder' that supplements all the many knife books I own. Those are great ones, fascinating story as well. I only have one Schrade (Walden) in my collection, the 'old lunker'. It has no bolsters, handles are 'staglon', bail on the end, and I have decided it was made after the switch from bone in 1956 but before 1973. As much as I would like to think the blade is in excellent condition, it may be a tiny bit short and reshaped. Do you think you could tell, and could I email you a photo?

Obviously, I'm a 'pattern' collector. And five inch toothpicks/fishknives are what I really enjoy finding, buying, selling, collecting. A benefit of collecting patterns vs. brands is that it has made me learn about lots and lots of makers, factory and some custom. I never would have learned about Bob Cargill and his great knifemaking if I had not first bought one of his fantastic Sambar Stag handled TPs. And of course, once I have at least one of a manufactor's Ticklers or Fishknives, I end up buying one or two of their knives in other patterns.

As you must realize, the long history of Schrade makes it a challenge to learn everything there is to know about the firm: tang stampings/materials/dates/ect. You've helped me and I appreciate it.

Regards,
Phil

I agree with your estimate of age. I am attaching a picture of 2 new old stock knives and you can judge for yourself if yours has been worked on. If you send an email to me I will send some pics you may enjoy regarding this pattern. I recently sold a small collection of this style however I still have a few left. I hope this helps LT.

lt632ret@frontiernet.net (first character is a small L not a numeral ONE.)

Yep. Mine is about 1/16" short, it appears. Although it is still a nice example. Thanks. I'll email ya, love to see some more pics.

Regards,
Phil

Back