Top 3 Woodland Skills

One of my clients is big into mountaineering, and has a saying. Speed is safety. What he means, is the ability to cover large distances, quickly. IMO Top notch physical fitness is as important an asset as any tool. Sometimes the arroyo doesn't give it's water easily. Got to be able to keep moving.. If you can cover 15-20 miles in a day on foot. You will most likely find help along the way. Lot's of people out there these days. At least in the US. I'm a personal trainer and own an athletic training company, as my "real Job". Fitness is what I deal with all day, so I'm sure I'm a bit more obsessive about it than most..

Cody as a former personal trainer.. a long time martial artist and fitness Nerd I'm inclined to agree. good point.

One of my clients is big into mountaineering, and has a saying. Speed is safety. What he means, is the ability to cover large distances, quickly. IMO Top notch physical fitness is as important an asset as any tool. Sometimes the arroyo doesn't give it's water easily. Got to be able to keep moving.. If you can cover 15-20 miles in a day on foot. You will most likely find help along the way. Lot's of people out there these days. At least in the US. I'm a personal trainer and own an athletic training company, as my "real Job". Fitness is what I deal with all day, so I'm sure I'm a bit more obsessive about it than most..

Or bring a really fat buddy. When he strokes out the circling Turkey Vultures are an arial signal for your location. The fat helps to make a roaring crackly fire. And darn it, that fat marbled meat is just too tender to pass up. :p

My strongest skill? Flintknapping. Not only can I make my own knife, I can also make arrows, a simple bow, or an atlatl. If I find good material, I'm pretty quick at it too;)

My weakest? Making fire by friction. I do alright with flint & steel though.

My strongest skill? Flintknapping. Not only can I make my own knife, I can also make arrows, a simple bow, or an atlatl. If I find good material, I'm pretty quick at it too;)

My weakest? Making fire by friction. I do alright with flint & steel though.

Now that is something I would like to learn. I always wanted to do that, and we got plenty of flint around here. I've heard of some obsidian knived being done with a 1 micron edge. Astounding, absolutely astounding. Post some pics wolf!!

Moose

All my pics are on our computer, which my brother is repairing. We're on a borrowed computer now.

I also make ball-headed war clubs. One of my clubs is on permanent display at the Flint Ridge Memorial museum in Licking County Ohio.

I'm like a recognized artist by the Ohio Historical Society, so that's my excuse to be such a weirdo.

wilderness crossfit? :)

What do ya'll consider to be your strongest woodland skill?

mmm. good question... mmm. keeping my wits and head about me, not freaking out, and generally almost always being that person most likely to get something done when it needs doing OR finding the right person if need be. okay, not exactly a woodland skill per se, but useful...

hard to say really. i'm pretty good with a lot of aspects. nothing is coming up as amazingly the strongest thing though. mmm, perhaps if i compare to random groups i hike and camp with, some skill that stands out? rope craft? maybe. chopping things with big blades and axes? possibly that.

What is your weakest? Why is it your weakest?

probably catching animals to eat. it's not something i get to practice a lot, but given the opportunity, i think there would be lots of tasty bbq if the need arose... i know some traps and methods, and can build stuff... i'm good at catching fish and frogs and such. if i had access to a gun, i'm a crack shot, so... just a matter of opportunity and practice there.

What's your favorite shelter?

Hennessey Hammocks, Igloos, a nice B&B... improvised? probably a lean-to of some kind, with a lot of stuff on top, and a nice fire in front; probably the base survival default would be some kind of debris shelter - don't practice those a lot, it's a ton of work, and not necessarily the kindest thing to the woodland area (and one should also tear it down after, unless doing a study on durability)

What's your favorite method of fire starting?

propane torch and vaseline :) BURN BURN BURN! er, right. fire piston. has to be THE MOST COOL THING EVAH. spark rods are nifty - i was my boy scout troup's all-star champion at many jamborees :) potassium permanganate + oil is shiny. i love the concept of friction fires, but again, don't get to practice that a lot. need to work on that.

How do you get water in the wild?

air drop! mostly, i don't. perhaps that's a weakest skill... i just avoid drinking most of what i see as a lot of the urban water IS polluted with chemicals and oils and nasty things. maybe if i was in the mountains, yah, i'd find a spring or seep or such. i'm pretty good at finding those things, and can smell water better than most. ideally, i'd have a good set of filtration and purification with me were i planning on living off the water of the land. otherwise, i'll gladly hike with a couple gallons. it always gets used, drunk, cooked with, and on the way out, you don't need to carry much.

What do ya'll consider to be your strongest woodland skill?
What is your weakest? Why is it your weakest?
What's your favorite shelter?
What's your favorte method of fire starting?
How do you get water in the wild?

Moose

Don't have a strongest, maybe fire starting is a little stronger, though shelter building/finding and procuring water are pretty well set. I hunt with a longbow and often eat what small game I kill right away.

sq1.jpg

Weakest is definitely plant identification.

Tarp shelter of various flavors followed by a debris hut or wicki-up.
Firesteel for fire building. This is a recent over nighter spent under a USGI poncho that I duct taped a mylar blanket to in order to get heat reflection back into the bedroll. It works like a charm.

-20%20Winter%20Overnighter%20061.JPG

Four months out of the year I've got frozen water everywhere, snow, Ice and whatnot. Melt it during winter, otherwise either boil it after collecting from the streams or MSR Miniworks EX.

I've got a video that I'll post up here of that recent over night foray, it's anywhere from -10 to -25 at night up here. We've had snow on the ground since the last week of October. Northern Minnesota is a dreamland in winter for those of us who prefer snowshoes to sidewalks.

Back