TOPS Scalpel

KJB

BANNED
I was looking at the TOPS Knives site:eek: (I love thier knives www.topsknives.com) and I saw a knife called the street scalpel, I thought this might be a great light duty neck knife. Any thoughts on this knife or another I might want.

Actually, this is about as stout of a neck blade as you would want. I'm a little too old and stoved up to get up and check out the stock thickness at this time of night but I think it's 1/4".

A razor sharp edge, but a bit too thick of a blade IMO for this catagory of blade.

AL

Kevin, there are a lot of threads on neck knives, so you can read the old ones if you do a search for them. But new knives come out all the time, so asking for current opinions is always a good idea.

For a couple of very different approaches, check out the Emerson 'La Griffe' and the Camillus/Darrell Ralph 'Arclite'. The TOPS should be sturdy, but that relatively long handle makes it seem like a working knife, not a backup.

I called mine a sharpened pry bar. 1/4 inch thick almost all the way to the tip.Might be a little heavy for a necker, but makes a great belt or boot knife.Try Newt Livesay for a nice neck knife. He makes several. All very good, affordable too. Hope this helps. later

It's a nice little knife- but at 1/4", IMHO it's too thick. If I'm going to commit to that weight (and it is heavy for a knife of that size) I'm going to carry something else.

and sold it.
too heavy for a necker,but just right for belt wear.

not a bad knife for what you pay,but if i get another one,im going to take the blade thickness down.if you hollow grind it pretty thin,i think it would make a good little utility knife. YMMV.

I have to agree--great knife but WAY too heavy for neck carry. This was a moot point anyhow since the sheath that came with it wouldn't hold it inverted, anyway--TOPS' greatest failing is their Kydex.

Sent it to Mike Sastre for a belt/sternum strap sheath and threw the original into the dumpster where it belonged.

Back