Toyota Forrester vs Toyota Highlander?

A little Subaru history

Hayate-Frank.jpg

Their best wartime design, Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate (Hurricane), best fighter in the Pacific in 1944. 427 MPH at 23,000 feet, service ceiling 38,800 feet, two 20 mm + two 30 mm cannons. It could turn inside and out dive a P-51, and its 30 mm cannons shot down B-29s.

FujiRabbit.jpeg

In 1946 they demilitarized with the Fuji Rabbit motor scooter. The Rabbit went into production six months before the Vespa, and good engineering solved the Italo-Japanese design problem of broken streets full of stones and frequently flooded. Japanese are nostalgic about the Rabbits and collectors with garage space collect them.

Subaru_1500.jpg

The first Subaru, Subaru 1500 (1954). Subaru is the Japanese name for the star cluster which ancient Greeks called the Pleiades and modern astronomers call Messier 45. Why 1500? 1500 cc engines.

Last edited:
Subaru makes its own batteries, and the battery in my 2011 Forester lasted almost eight years. Most of us change batteries ourselves to save money, but don't be ashamed to let a Subaru dealer do it if you can afford it. Subaru does not make its own tires. In 2022 I got Yokohama, in 2011 I think I got Continental. Go to Costco for replacements and get Michelin.

Both are good, quality of service is the key to Subaru. We have an excellent dealer 30 minutes from the house.

I’ve owned Toyotas since the mid 70’s.

My first Subaru was a 2011 Forester, bare bones. The things I didn’t like was the four speed transmission and cheap interior. That model year was a redesign with a new engine, mine did not use oil. Kept it for seven years with no major issues.

My current 2023 Crosstrek is a joy to drive. Very solid feeling and tight, much nicer than my old one.

No turbos…..

I bought a new Highlander in 2008, and it's still my daily driver. No problems mechanically, but the clear coat has peeled off the roof, and is beginning to peel off small parts of the driver side doors. Since it's been detailed at least once a year since new, it can't be because of neglect... Anyway -- I would still buy another Toyota, but probably a model made in Japan, they really do it right.

I thought I wanted a Forester but I got an Outback. Would never look back.

Highlander, 4Runner, and Tacoma are all GREAT trucks.

Avoid the Forester and Outback... those are hipstermobiles... and the transaxles tend to burn up shortly after 150K.

Avoid the Forester and Outback... those are hipstermobiles...

First I've heard of that.

I'm an American redneck and drive this Forester Wilderness all over the country.

mDpgfFT.jpg

I'm not a Subaru suv crossover deal and wagon type fan. don't care for their styling. i do like their boxer engine. my wife last year traded in her Ford explorer for a Subaru ascent, think its called. the biggest one. anyways she likes the Subaru much better than her Ford. i almost got her a Toyota, but I got tired of dealing with the dealers and walked.

I prefer Toyota vehicles myself, but dealing with their dealers down here is the worst. theyre using all the old playbook nonsense. trying to keep ya trapped and wear ya out with game playing any fool can see through. dealing with the Subaru dealers was a cake walk on getting a fair deal.

Looking to buy family a new car, and they are looking at the Toyota Highlander and the Subaru Forrester or the Subaru Ascent, and possibly the Outback, but they don't like the station wagon look.

They really like the Subaru Forrester, but have never owned a Subaru. There are only a couple dealers in our state, so that is a downside and the nearest dealer is over 60 miles away.

We keep a vehicle a long time 200,000 + miles, so I'm wanting a good reliable vehicle.

Subaru's are solid vehicles but, a bit unique which can make long-term ownership maintenance problematic at times.

The Highlander is one I simply don't get. If you want a boxy car, I guess it is a reasonable choice.

In my case, I find the Mazda CX-50 to be a better built vehicle at a better price. They are fuel efficient as well and have good room for my purposes.

I shopped the Subaru Forrester and Outback against the Mazda CX-50 and various domestic brand options. The Mazda CX-50 was a better choice for me. Better MPG and the lower purchase price doesn't hurt either.

Back