Traditional Knives & Slingshots

I've been doing some plinking indoors recently, managed to extend my indoor 'range' from 23ft to 26ft! :D :thumbsup:

Ng3DvGa.jpg

Did you make that out of a kitchen chair? Pretty cool.

I have a Camillus Cub Scout knife with that white handle.
Found it on line. I wanted a wood slingshot ... no suitable tree branches on the property ...
For under $3 I can't complain too much. It shoots at least as good as I can shoot it ... probably better. 😁👍

I think my "Ulster" was actually made by Camillus.
From what I've been able to find, Imperial-Schrade shut down Ulster by 1969 or 1970, replacing the brand with "Old Timer" at the end of the R.J.R's Pince Albert, Coppenhagen/SKOAL/Workhorse (among others) knife promotion.
Recall: the R.J.R. knives were tang stamped "Ulster Old Timer".
Ulster had the "official" etched contract (license?) until 1975(?) or a little later, so it makes sense Imperial Schrade would have another division make the knife with the Ulster tang stamp, rather than lose the contract or license.

I'm pretty sure Ulster put their name on all the contract knives they made for other brands, as well ... If you proud of what you make, why not put your name/ brand on it???)

The white official BSA Scout knives were 1980~1982.
I heard the BSA board wanted white handles to make it easier to find the knife if dropped or set down. I can only guess they "forgot" it snows in most of the country north, east, and west of Irving, TX ... 😳😳😳🤨😐😐🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Got the little Stinger out to play with today. Been neglecting my slingshots for a while. Have a couple Wasp Enzo frames and a variety of bands underway. I need to learn more about bands. I'm beginning to understand the importance of proper band fitting to length of pull, frame and ammo. I'll be on a steep learning curve for a while. 🤠

View attachment 2402090

Got the little Stinger out to play with today. Been neglecting my slingshots for a while. Have a couple Wasp Enzo frames and a variety of bands underway. I need to learn more about bands. I'm beginning to understand the importance of proper band fitting to length of pull, frame and ammo. I'll be on a steep learning curve for a while. 🤠

View attachment 2402090
Nice David :cool: About the same for me too, though I do a bit of plinking in the house still :) I like the Enzo frame, and Wasp do a great variety of bands, I've always found them to be a good firm to deal with :) I've noticed they've been cutting their bands an inch or so shorter, the past year or two. That won't be an issue for most folks, but I'm 6ft 3", and like that extra length! :D Fortunately I have a good stock, but when they run out, I'll have to start tying my own. I find the SimpleShot videos about the best when it comes to bands and ammo, but it's a complicated subject :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

View attachment 2402140
1956 TO 1988 Imperial Prov. R.I. Barlow. (shell construction.)
Reproduction Pre-Roman Empire era Sling. (with "improved" cordage, and a bovine leather pouch.)
That's a nice pairing, and a very cool set-up :cool: How're you with the sling, I've never had a go with one? Maybe it's a bit too crowded where I live! :D ;) :thumbsup:

When I was a kid, my granddad gave me one of these Milbro catapults. The square rubber lasted for years, firing pebbles. I thought I'd got pretty good, because I could hit a can nearly half the time! :D A couple of years back, they started making them again, so I got one...

RGKOR2N.jpg

The rubber was junk, and cut way too short. I wanted to try and keep Old Skool, so I fitted some square rubber, not too easy to get hold of here these days. Probably should have set it up TTF, rather than OTT, but that heavy rubber is no good for accuracy...

E4RboUy.jpg

I even tried fitting flat-bands. It's OK, but that flat frame isn't a patch on the modern ones, so it's just hanging in the cupboard :rolleyes: Sometimes the old stuff isn't quite as good as you remember! :D ;) :thumbsup:

EzIIIB2.jpg

How're you with the sling
learning ... I might be better if I was good at accurately throwing baseballs/balls ... rocks ... casting over-headwhen fishing ... when I was young?
Oh well. At least I hit ... almost most of the time ... the 25 foot high x 70 foot long "wall" of hay the neighbor had here.
Some "shots" were too high others very, very low. 🙄

Last edited:
Jack what are your thoughts on the Leighton Spitfire. I think I've seen you post a pic of one up above. I got a 90mm underway. If I remember you liked it but cant remeber for sure. 🤔 🤠

Jack Black Jack Black
Besides ePrey (which I refuse to use) where can one get a old style Milbro like that? (and possibly the replacement square bands?)
My web search only brought up ePrey offerings.👎

learning ... I might be better if I was good at accurately throwing baseballs/balls ... rocks ... casting over-headwhen fishing ... when I was young?
Oh well. At least I hit ... almost most of the time ... the 25 foot high x 70 foot long "wall" of hay the neighbor had here.
Some "shots" were too high others very, very low. 🙄
I think it's a really clever skill, though I'm not sure I'd be up to it! :D :thumbsup:
Jack what are your thoughts on the Leighton Spitfire. I think I've seen you post a pic of one up above. I got a 90mm underway. If I remember you liked it but cant remeber for sure. 🤔 🤠
I have a couple of Leighton HDPE slingshots, (shown below - centre and right), and really like them, but they are Gamekeeper John designs. I've not actually tried the Spitfire. Sorry for the slow reply David, I hope you're pleased with the Spitfire :) :thumbsup:

twTEClW.jpg

Trimmed the band on the Bean Flip. When the weather straightens up I'll see how it works.

View attachment 2402834
Good move :) Are those the stock SimpleShot bands?
Jack Black Jack Black
Besides ePrey (which I refuse to use) where can one get a old style Milbro like that? (and possibly the replacement square bands?)
My web search only brought up ePrey offerings.👎
Sorry for the slow reply, but thanks for the PMs about this. I hope you managed to find something :thumbsup:

SaOitxB.jpg

I have a couple of Leighton HDPE slingshots, (shown below - centre and right), and really like them, but they are Gamekeeper John designs. I've not actually tried the Spitfire. Sorry for the slow reply David, I hope you're pleased with the Spitfire :) :thumbsup:
Thank you. Its underway we'll find out before long! 😁
twTEClW.jpg

Good move :) Are those the stock SimpleShot bands?

Yes they are.
Sorry for the slow reply, but thanks for the PMs about this. I hope you managed to find something :thumbsup:

SaOitxB.jpg
:cool: pic.

Thank you. Its underway we'll find out before long! 😁

Yes they are.

:cool: pic.
Thanks David, I'll look forward to seeing your Spitfire :) You'll probably find you get a big improvement by replacing the stock bands, and tailoring any replacements to the ammo you're firing :thumbsup:

I've probably used this slingshot most over the past year, it's SimpleShot's version of Zachary Fowler's 'Sparrow'. I love its simplicity, and it's great to shoot :) Inexpensive too :thumbsup:

bK799tE.jpg

Got out of work early as there was nothing going on. Did a little plinking with the Scout LT. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn today. I have some bands coming for clay ammo which I hope that helps. Course most of the problem is me. I wasn't being consistent today for some reason. I got five new frames, various bands and other accessories underway. Just decided to try a Proshot Gamekeeper PPMG Pro+ TTF. I seem to prefer OTT but wanted to try a dedicated TTF frame.

View attachment 2406027

Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn today
From inside or outside said barn?

My late mum could not hit the broadside of a barn ... from inside said barn ... with a 12 gauge cylinder bore shotgun.🤯😳
She tried to pattern her shotgun once (12 guage Remington 1100; 2.75 inch shells, Improved Cylinder barrel) ... 4 sheets news paper unfolded and taped together, from 20 yards.

She missed. 😳🙄

Last edited:
Back