Recommendation? Traditional Pocket Knife Slip

G'day porch Mates,

I am looking for some recommendations on pocket slips for knives. Preferably some nice leather options.

Thank you,

Jack
Jack, Mike at CK has some good ones in various sizes. If I’d known you were looking for one I’ve got a drawer full of them and I’d have included a of them in the package I sent you. There’s some Porch members who make nice ones too. Sharp&Fiery and sbh06 sbh06 (Jeremy) make them.

Beard&Owl Beard&Owl is a regular contributor here and makes both fabric and leather slips in a variety of useful sizes. I've heard his leather slips are excellent, but I only have first-hand experience with the fabric ones. I found his site while looking for a slip for the long and thin #87 English Jack and his "slim" size is a perfect fit.

9qYI75D.jpeg

5I9UnZ4.jpeg

I have two of Sharp and Fiery's slips for the 2023 forum Rabbit Knife that are pretty sweet. You might also want to consider Horsewright's Buckaroo pouches, a buffalo leather slip that has a thong stiched on that loops around a belt loop. Easy to pull out the pocket. Since he has knifemaker's membership, I guess it's okay to post a link. https://www.horsewright.com/Buckaroo-Pouch-_p_339.html

I have two of Sharp and Fiery's slips for the 2023 forum Rabbit Knife that are pretty sweet. You might also want to consider Horsewright's Buckaroo pouches, a buffalo leather slip that has a thong stiched on that loops around a belt loop. Easy to pull out the pocket. Since he has knifemaker's membership, I guess it's okay to post a link. https://www.horsewright.com/Buckaroo-Pouch-_p_339.html
Thank you sir for the shoutout. Yep we sell a bunch of those Buckaroo Pouches.

I'll second the recommendation for Dave's buckaroo pouches. Very handy because it is very easy to pull out of your pocket. Some prefer to connect it to the belt loop; I prefer to loop it over my belt. I became acquainted with the style years ago when I got some from an outfit in the Reno area called Back Room Leather. They seem to have gone out of business. Now an online search for Back Room Leather brings things up that are of an entirely different nature.:eek: When I couldn't find them any more, I looked around and found Horsewright.

I also have some leather slips from Collector Knives. They are nice.

Last edited:
Do you specifically want a slip, there is a bloke in Tassie who makes great pouches with a button flap. Might not be what your after though.

Horsewright - quick question, if it's not digressing too far from the original post. In the first photo on your buckaroo pouch webpage, you show what looks like a trapper (single bladed trapper?) sticking out of the pouch. Are the pouches designed to completely enclose the knives mentioned, or have them sticking out like in the photo? You don't list the pouches actual dimensions, either inside or outside, so I'm not sure. Thanks. And any discount if one were to order a party pack of all three sizes? 🥹

Do you specifically want a slip, there is a bloke in Tassie who makes great pouches with a button flap. Might not be what your after though.
In this instance just a pocket slip.

I will be looking for a decent belt pouch for an upcoming knife though.

BosTaurusLeather​

On Etsy does very nice slips He is from Ukraine, ive been buying from him since befoer the war.

I let him use some of my photos (so friendly and proffesional) see if you can work them out hint, GEC knives. 🤭

NOT POLITICAL But since we have left the EU and our strict knife laws I cant even see his knife slips or buy anymore, it just says not available in my region.

Anything with knife must get flagged up for us.

Other nice leather goods as well,see also the key ring with a strong message on it to the enemy... 🤣

Found my photos for you.

Last edited:
This site has probably the largest collection and pics of some of the finest slips on the planet.

Search around, the ideas are limitless.

Horsewright - quick question, if it's not digressing too far from the original post. In the first photo on your buckaroo pouch webpage, you show what looks like a trapper (single bladed trapper?) sticking out of the pouch. Are the pouches designed to completely enclose the knives mentioned, or have them sticking out like in the photo? You don't list the pouches actual dimensions, either inside or outside, so I'm not sure. Thanks. And any discount if one were to order a party pack of all three sizes? 🥹
Yep if you look at the second picture you will see the same knife all the way in the pouch. Thats how I would like the sheath to fit. While we don't give actual measurements each size does describe the type of common knives that they fit. This has worked out well. Literally have sold hundreds and hundreds of these. No, not on a party pack, we do offer a discount to Veterans, Active Duty personnel, Police, Fire etc.

I'll second the recommendation for Dave's buckaroo pouches. Very handy because it is very easy to pull out of your pocket. Some prefer to connect it to the belt loop; I prefer to loop it over my belt. I became acquainted with the style years ago when I got some from an outfit in the Reno area called Back Room Leather. They seem to have gone out of business. Now an online search for Back Room Leather brings things up that are of an entirely different nature.:eek: When I couldn't find them any more, I looked around and found Horsewright.

I also have some leather slips from Collector Knives. They are nice.
Thank you sir!

Thank you sir for the shoutout. Yep we sell a bunch of those Buckaroo Pouches.
I suppose I must have been living under a rock to not know until this thread that you offered these, Dave. They look to be every bit as nice as everything else that comes out of your shop. 👍🏻🤓

Yes sir been making em a long time:

9R3Jr93.jpg

Thanks my wife actually makes them.

They've been around for many, many years. I have a theory on where the name Buckaroo Pouch comes from. There are two types of cowboys, two distinct schools of cowboying. One influenced by Texas and the other by California. A buckaroo is the Anglo bastardization of the Californio pronunciation of vaquero. In Californio Spanish the V is pronounced as a B. So vaca (cow), is pronounced as baca. Vaquero, (cowboy) is baquero and this morphed into buckaroo. Buckaroos (although they use the term cowboy) are the cowboys of the Great Basin area, California, Nevada, Idaho, parts of Montana and Wyoming, Oregon and Washington. Big country cowboys. Young buckaroos tend to cuff their 501 Levis and tend not to wear a belt. A guy still needs a knife so I think the term buckaroo pouch came from these guys putting the tag end on the belt loop. Since they were buckaroos they used a Buckaroo Pouch. My theory anyhoo. Those that are interested, I came across this documentary today while hand sanding the handles of a batch of knives. So I watched and sanded at the same time. I highly recommend this. Its pretty much The Great Basin area. Know some of these folks.

Thats a great idea,really like that.

They've been around for many, many years. I have a theory on where the name Buckaroo Pouch comes from. There are two types of cowboys, two distinct schools of cowboying. One influenced by Texas and the other by California. A buckaroo is the Anglo bastardization of the Californio pronunciation of vaquero. In Californio Spanish the V is pronounced as a B. So vaca (cow), is pronounced as baca. Vaquero, (cowboy) is baquero and this morphed into buckaroo. Buckaroos (although they use the term cowboy) are the cowboys of the Great Basin area, California, Nevada, Idaho, parts of Montana and Wyoming, Oregon and Washington. Big country cowboys. Young buckaroos tend to cuff their 501 Levis and tend not to wear a belt. A guy still needs a knife so I think the term buckaroo pouch came from these guys putting the tag end on the belt loop. Since they were buckaroos they used a Buckaroo Pouch. My theory anyhoo. Those that are interested, I came across this documentary today while hand sanding the handles of a batch of knives. So I watched and sanded at the same time. I highly recommend this. Its pretty much The Great Basin area. Know some of these folks.
Very interesting my friend, thanks for taking the time to post. :thumbsup:

Back