Trail Master Fighter?

People constantly ask about using Laredo and Natchez Bowies as woods, camping, bush knives? And the general consensus is that they are designed for fighting and that the Trail Master woukd be a better choice. Well I'm curious to know how would the Trail Master perform as a fighter?

The carbon steel Trail Master, with its sharpened false edge (for back Cuts), will preform quite well as a fighter, and even the San Mai's unsharpened clip can do BackCut, but it is more a a "tip rip" than a cut. The skill and attributes of the person are more important than which knife you choose, but there are definite advantages with blade lengths. I've also used Laredo for camping chores, though prefer the Trail Master for camping, but am fully confident in the Trail Master if needed to fight with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Mike. For some reason I thought that this topic would generate more discussion especially when you consider how many people own Trail Masters. Balance, blade shape, handle design and material, are all points I was hoping to hear more about.

:) My understanding is that the Laredo and Natchez are purpose built fighters , primarily . The cable tang designed to adsorb shock of contact with other weapons and the blade ground for slicing flesh . Not intended for chopping wood . YMMV !;)

The TM's are designed as the name implies , more for wood chopping and bushcraft . The tang and handle along with the convex blade is just sturdier and more weather and abuse proof . I believe it is much handier and easier to carry . A great general purpose camp/bushcraft knife that should function very well as a martial / fighter as well . I believe some elite soldiers carry the TM, but that may relate more to PR than combat . :cool:

I'd gladly take a Trail Master as a fighting knife. It's one of the reasons I love the Trail Master so much. It's about as good as I've found for both woods and fighting purposes.

My thoughts on the Trail Master are this. Of the three knives, Laredo, Natchez, and Trail Master, the Trail Master has the most comfortable grip overall. Particularly the material that it's made of. If I could change anything about it I would make it a little thicker and maybe add a slight curve at the end like the handle shape of the OSS but without the sub hilt. Only drawback to the handle is that it will print if concealed.

The blade is good but has the broadest point or tip of the three. It would make it the least likely to snap or bend but that would also make it more difficult to penetrate in a stab or thrust.
But it slices like nobody's business. Just watch the proof videos where they cut through all kinds of meat and even 5 inches of hemp rope. It feels blade heavy but that's part of why it cuts so well. I like the Trail Master, like it alot.

Last edited:
Nothing difficult about penetrating with a stab or a thrust using a Trail Master. It's a Bowie and the physics of the point/clip configuration make penetration easy. Do some thrusts on meat and see for yourself. I've also carried a Trail Master concealed on many occasions easily, though I do prefer the Laredo.

I think the TM is a pretty good fighter. Not as good as the Laredo or Natchez for that purpose, but definitely above average. It's a bit blade heavy. I prefer the Laredo's balance and blade length, but you can do a lot worse than the TM. Look at the so-called fighting knives sold by custom makers. Most of 'em are quite short. I certainly wouldn't pick a 3-5 inch blade as a fighter. Not if I had a choice about it. And then there's the venerable old Kabar fighter clocking in at only 7 inches. That's more of a utility knife than a fighter. In fact, other than the Laredo or Natchez, what (of the factory made knives) would be a superior fighting knife to the TM? I can't really think of one that I'd go for. Maybe some would prefer the BBC/OSS/OSI or the 9 inch Magnum tanto. Various other companies make large tantos too. But the balance and feel of a Japanese style tanto is completely different from a bowie knife. And you don't have that clip point for backcuts.

I like the blade shape and balance of the Laredo but the handle is smooth as glass. Natchez has better feeling grip to me but is heavier and not as quick as Laredo or Trail Master. Ideal knife would be Laredo with kray-ex grip. Then you have all the best elements combined in one knife.

The 9 inch Tanto is quick in hand, excellent grip with steel pommel and ideal for snap cuts. But the blade seems anemic in comparison to the bowies doesn't it? But being lighter and faster may be all that's needed.

As for an alternative to the bowies and tanto I would choose the Taipan..........

Have you tried wrapping some tape on the Laredo handle? Not pretty but increases grip.

Yes, tanto blades are very quick, great for the slash but good bowies feel like they have three or four times the cutting and thrusting power. It's funny how it's worked out for me. I prefer the bowie for knives up to 12 inches, but for short swords with blades 15-20 inches, I love the wakizashi style. I like waks with handles 8.5-9.5 inches long. That way, I can use 'em one handed or two handed, like a short katana. They're quick and when used two handed, have a lot of power.

I agree that Bowies are the best fighting knives and Cold Steel produces the best factory Bowies available.
No tape on my Laredo so far.
While on the subject of Bowies and fighting knives what do you think about a beefed up Marauder? Imagine a thicker blade Marauder with a micarta handle with a steel sub hilt?

Its a little heavy for me but would sure work in a pinch. Prefer my Magnum Tanto IX in San Mai for my go to fighting knife.

Nothing difficult about penetrating with a stab or a thrust using a Trail Master. It's a Bowie and the physics of the point/clip configuration make penetration easy. Do some thrusts on meat and see for yourself. I've also carried a Trail Master concealed on many occasions easily, though I do prefer the Laredo.

Mike, doesn't one of your custom Bagwells have a blade shape similar to the Trail Master? I remember you posting pics some time ago and somebody even asked about the similarities ?

As far as I'm concerned, any knife with a full guard is a fighting knife. A "woods" knife only needs a lower guard to prevent fingers from sliding forward. An upper guard is mainly for catching an opponent's blade and is only a hindrance on a "woods" knife. It prevents you from comfortably choking up and resting your thumb on the spine for delicate work.... Just my .02

The carbon steel Trail Master, with its sharpened false edge (for back Cuts), will preform quite well as a fighter, and even the San Mai's unsharpened clip can do BackCut, but it is more a a "tip rip" than a cut. The skill and attributes of the person are more important than which knife you choose, but there are definite advantages with blade lengths. I've also used Laredo for camping chores, though prefer the Trail Master for camping, but am fully confident in the Trail Master if needed to fight with.
Any particular reason why Cold Steel doesn't sharpen the swedge/clip on the san mai version?

Any particular reason why Cold Steel doesn't sharpen the swedge/clip on the san mai version?

Sharpening the swedge is going to be an individual choice, not a feature. If a knife has 2 sharpened edges it's not legal in some jurisdictions, so leaving the swedge "as is" sidesteps all the legal crud. And yes, even just an inch or two can be enough to cause an issue if someone is looking for a legal opening.

I thought it might have more to do with where the knives are manufactured than with where the finished product would eventually end up. The San Mai models are made in Japan where laws are different (stricter regulations) than Taiwan where the O-1 Trail Masters come with sharpened false edges.

The Outdoorsman in San Mai has a large part of the spine razor sharp if that means anything.

Back