Training: By the numbers, or listen to your body?

Hello everyone,

I want to talk about training itself. I used to be a very "by the numbers" guy in the gym and setting up my workouts. You know, if I don't use weight x for x reps and x sets, I'll be cutting myself short and it says in famous guy's book to do x wight for x reps for x sets. Oh, and if I lift this morning I can't do any kung-fu fighting (my generic term for martial arts training of any sort) because you don't get the most synergistic of training, etc.

After quite a layoff (2 years of only intermittent training) I have been working regularly with a new partner. Now I train 3 hours a week, an hour on monday/wednesday/friday. I decided to focus on my body and my main activity (kung-fu fighting) and pick what to do around that. So, usually after Kung-fu fighting I go to the gym and do weights, mostly upper body stuff. This lasts half an hour. On tues/thurs I go run and then mix in rowing and/or cycling. I mix things up because I can get bored easily. I'll run for 25-30 minuites and do other cardio stuff until I feel like stopping.

I must say that this has been working VERY well for me. My body is really responding to my training. Now I think I focused too much on theory and not enough on my body, you know? I don't think throwing out "theory" or "numbers" is a good idea, but I am re-evaluating how to use the numbers.

First of all, am I making any sense? Secondly, what do you all think of this?

Hi Crayola - you sound a lot like me. I compete in paddling; my water practice begins in April but I need to train all year round. I also do kungfu and lift, plus running/biking/rowing machine.
We are all different but let me tell you how I do it and have been pretty successful. I divide my work into skill and "physical" for lack of a better term. Weightlifting helps all my sports; I do 2 workouts/week. One is heavy for kungfu; the other more load-up-the-lactic-acid for paddling. I'll change the exact composition depending on time of year. 2wice/week I also do something aerobic: an hour rowing or mountain biking, hill running, long jog. At least 2wice/week I'll do kungfu specific work.
Often I'll mix: 30 minutes rowing intervals, then 30 minutes heavy bag/dummy hitting. If I train physically hard (lifting, intervals, heavy hitting) I'll mix it with skill work later (kungfu, paddling machine, knife/stick/kungfu form and flow drills). Find what works for you.
Much as I hate to say it - also factor in your age. At 46 I need to watch my diet and rest much more than in my '30's. And don't ever feel guilty about taking a few days off - it's YOUR body and it's trying to tell YOU something. Better listen.

Great thread, Crayola:)

When I interviewed Rickson Gracie, of Gracie Ju-Jitsu fame, he told me this about his workout.

He is exceptionally careful about diet.

He "free-outs". Meaning, each day he does something. One day he'll work weights, doing what exercises he likes and believes are necesary for that day, to include reps and sets. The next he may run 10 miles, do some pushups on the beach, stretching, and so on.

He feels you should do what you enjoy and feel like that day. But you must do so with full focus and intensity to get the most out of the workout or run or swim or whatever (kung-fu?).

That kind of approach requires as much internal discipline as the accepted ritual of MWF, 2 hours, + a notebook to record your "stuff".

And, according to Rickson, it's fun because you're not locking yourself into a "I must do this today or else..." routine.

I try to do the same anymore. I've been a gym and track rat, as well as a dojo mojo. Today, at nearly 49, I find I enjoy hitting the gym a few times a week (maybe), doing a 10-mile walk once a week, running on the beach now and then, or working out with this, that, or the other in the yard or basement. I get my range time in every month, too. What works for you in the here and now is all that is important...and YOU can change it around any time, and for any reason, that you like:D

Age is a major consideration. Injuries take more time to heal properly and are far less fun to put up while doing so. Old injuries come back to haught you, or begin to make themselves known again by how they restrict what you can do today. I find I need to train around injuries, old and new. That means changing some of what I used to be able to do without much concern, and finding new ways to train to make up for weak points that now simply must be considered as part of the current package.

Looking forward to more thoughts and experiences from others on this subject.

It helps to put some thought into what you're doing and why - often you can mix your different workouts, or fit in practice where you might not think you can. Examples:
When I run through the woods I may carry a stick with me - every now and then I stop and work for 30 seconds or so on a tree with different strikes and footwork, perhaps some kicks and forearm strikes, then "run away". Makes a long run much more interesting; there's less tendency to zone out if you're always looking for targets and thinking about your environment.
I keep a training knife at work. When I go to the men's room I take it and get in a minute or so of "mirror drill". 2-3 times/day, 5 days/week. It adds up.
And there's always grip work while you're lying on the sofa :) Like the shark - keep moving every day; don't stop.

Just gotta stick my two cents in here.
Every thing that has been said so far has a lot of merit.
I would just add that in addition to your running and martial training you need to add free weight squats and lunges to your program. Good form is critical, get help if your not 100% sure.
I'm not saying that you need to build legs like a power lifter... Training the lower body with open chain exercises will dramaticly increase you speed, agility and power. Don't over look your legs!
As a martial artist, gym owner and yoga teacher, I have seen many people that had plenty of upper body power but were lacking below. With out a strong foundation you become unbalanced...
You don't need to lose flexibility or get big to get strong!
Train your legs, kay? ;)

Hi Rich - I've found a variation of the "deck of cards" workout to help. Shuffle the deck, and assign to each suite an exercise: the other night
I used squat, lunge, pushup, situp. Do the number on the face of the card as your rep count. Obviously you can vary this any number of ways, but it's more interesting for me than doing 200 squats or 100 lunges straight - and my lungs never quit working the entire time.

Back