Training with the Bowie, seeking a first blade

And don't forget the Bowie Machete or the Black Bear Bowie Machete to fill the role of training blades (or as very inexpensive starter options).

Keating is a brilliant pragmatist, and thus a big Cold Steel fan. I know Lynn Thompson respects Keating's instruction, too, and has been supportive of some of his events. You should look into Thompson's Warrior's Edge DVDs for additional perspective.

I hope you had a great experience training out in Washington! Please let us know which knife you decide upon.

-Steve

LCT's "Warriors Edge" DVDs dovetail quite nicely with what JAK teaches, the basic idea of not being cut, if possible. Worth looking into for sure.

Both the Bowie Machete and the Black Bear Bowie Machete are good very inexpensive entries into the world of Bowies. The Black Bear has both a guard and sharpened false edge.

Looks like the Trail Master will indeed be my blade-to-be, gradually scouring the secondhand market and asking around locally to see if anyone got bored with theirs. I'm definitely glad I sought training and knowledge before steel, but dang does it cut down the toy budget for the next few months...

for $20 can't have a better Bowie

OLYi5sE.jpg

I mostly carry the San Mai because it is easier to care for in humid conditions and is extremely sharp. Of the carbon blades, Carbon V is my favorite and the "China Doll" SK-5s are next.

Hey Mike,
cant seem to get in touch with you. Would like to get my Trailmaster back (the one 'lost' in the mail for two years). Contact me, please.

I will chip in for the Frontier Bowie, It is an absolute beast and I have seen pics of guy using one pig hunting. But with the great weight it is better at thrusting than slashing. Personally, I use my Bowie Machete to most of my practice and it lives beside the bed. I have watched JK's videos on Youtube and he is fantastic, but I can't see myself with enough fine motor skill retention if it ever came to self defense in the middle of the night. That's why I go for the better slashing blade. Plus some guys have modded theirs to look fantastic.

You will enjoy training with JAK, a true master, gentleman, and scholar. It's pretty hard to beat a Laredo as far as production Bowies go. I'd say go with that over the Trail Master, unless your height dictates the smaller length blade. I'm 5'9", 155 lbs., and can comfortably carry and conceal a Laredo in shorts and a t-shirt in all situations. I still do "package deals" on Southern Comforts with either a Laredo or a Trail Master, or you can send me your knife. Have a great time training with Jim!!

Hi Mike,
having a difficult time reaching you. Would like to get my Trailmaster back into my possession. Its the one that was 'lost in the mail' for two years. Please contact me. Thanks, CJ

I agree with all the assessments others have offered. Here's my take:

Custom bowies can be superior, but most aren't. Save yourself some money and stick with Cold Steel or Ontario. Cold Steel's bowies are fantastic, primarily because they're designed for performance. If you're looking for a fighter, normally I'd recommend the Natchez and tell you not to bother with anything else. The Laredo is a close second. I consider the Trail Master a camp bowie that can be pressed into service for defense but isn't optimal for such use due to its balance.

Given your build, you might also consider the new Drop Forged Survivalist or the Marauder. Both are sleepers that deserve more attention. And don't forget the Bowie Machete or the Black Bear Bowie Machete to fill the role of training blades (or as very inexpensive starter options).

Keating is a brilliant pragmatist, and thus a big Cold Steel fan. I know Lynn Thompson respects Keating's instruction, too, and has been supportive of some of his events. You should look into Thompson's Warrior's Edge DVDs for additional perspective.

I hope you had a great experience training out in Washington! Please let us know which knife you decide upon.

-Steve
The Survivalist is intriguing.

The Survivalist is built like a tank. The Drop Forged Bowie is impressive too if you're looking for a more compact knife.

Yes indeed.

And I looked at that as well.

Alsl interested in the drop forged hunter (obviously for hunting and not as such relevant to this thread - not that Ill use any of them for anything else than hunting/camping etc).

I would LIKE all three.

Needs must.

Ill have to limit myself to either the survivalist or the equally nifty DF bowie.

Very interesting the debate on torso size/length re carrying.

I some times sash carry when camping/hiking where legal.

Im 6.4 with a freakishly long torso - I find it takes some getting used to (to be able to carry a large bowie close to your body) but then I guess its just a matter of training.

For a lot of fighting style bowie for not alot of cash I went for the natchez.

I like that the steel they use (02)is easy to get wicked sharp and with that also gets dull fast (obviously they run it a little soft probably for liability )

Its pretty tough I abuse mine regularly .
Has a decent tip for backcuts.

Balance is meh... little too blade heavy if someone did a distil taper it would improve the feel greatly.

The handle on mines a little twisted if you eyeball it (cheap ) but serviceable. Can alsays sand it to fit better too.

Hope this helps

Would love to be able to train with keating thats awsome:thumbsup:

One other thing worth mentioning about the drop forged knives are the sheaths. They are vastly improved over Secure-Ex sheaths used in the past. They fit better, don't scratch blades and you can remove the blade by thumb preasure along the top. No need for a two handed tug of war just to unsheath the knife.

Back