Trapping Tips

Dont know if anyone out there traps at all, but i live trap some to catch fox, coon etc.. that present a problem to my game fowl.

Any how, This may be hard to believe but a good bait for racoons is marshmellows. Yes, big ole stay puff marshmellows. I throw a few around my live trap, then a few in the trap leading back to the door actuator. This cuts down on the number of possums for some reason.

A good one for fox (extremely hard to catch for me) is this- I wired a small pen in the rear of my live trap. In that pen i put a young bitty (chicken) with food and water so they stay alive and well. The fox generally cant resist the chirping of the bitty and will go inside the trap to investigate. The cool thing about this is that even the bait lives.

Ive found that on my live traps, to spread dirt over the wire bottom of the trap, and remember to make things as natural as possible.

P.S.- when checking the coon traps, make sure you keep a close eye on your 2 year old daughter, they get to the marsh mellows as quick as you turn around!!!

Back