Treating Snake Skin

Hey all,
I've just found a snake(dead), not all that common round my house.
I'm interested in using the skin in a sheath sometime in the near future.
In my rush to get the thing processed i skinned it and now have it pinned to a board and salted, and then i read that thats NOT what you are supposed to do.

Can anyone tell me about snake skins and how i should have preserved it?

I am interested in what to do also ... we have four skins in our freezer waiting for attention.

I have some snakeskins that I tanned. I used a mixtue of glycerin and "denatured" alcohol. It is a 50/50 mix. Skin the snake cutting down the middle of the belly then pull the skin off the body. Scrape anything left on the meat side with a spoon. Rinse it off. Throw it into a glass jar making sure enough solution will cover the skin. Forget it. It can go months even. Take the skin out and you will notice the scales will be shedding. Rinse it off and let it dry. My skins are still very pliable after all these years. I tried the antifreeze trick but they came out stiff and hard when done. I also would run a spring steel wire , that I would cut my blowgun darts off from, starting from the head to the tail thru the spinal colum. I would then boil the snake and clean each vertebrae in order. Makes a cool collection of snake spine bones. You can use these for earrings, beads etc. Children love to hold it. Looks neat. Just a thought. Let me know how it goes. Loosearrow

Back