Tribute to PhilL...

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Recently PhilL took some images I had posted and made a collage of sorts and it really wowed me! So I wanted to share his work here in the Gallery, it's a tribute not only to the person who made the knife, a great man as well, Mr. John W. Smith, check the link below to visit his web page by the way, but to PhilL in his artistic workmanship! You may recognize the nice warm background that PhilL has placed these pic upon, it's an armrest cover that I use to put on top of the knives when I scan them, didn't realize at first that he had kept that in there, it's so well done. So I know some of you others have had things done by PhilL, let this Thread be a little show ground of sorts, so show em if you got em!
Thanks PhilL!<center>
(here is the link to JW Smith's site)
http://www.jwsmithknives.com/
G2

Attachments

• jwdagger2.jpg
    jwdagger2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,657
You're going to make his head burst, but he deserves the praise!

I took the pics and emailed them to him for some critiques, and he took it upon himself to have a little fun with them in the process. (He said the shots were OK ;))

I've never seen better! Phil has great composition talents.

Coop

picture.JPG

WOW that is a beautiful knife and I'd agree with PhilL, nice shots as well! What a useful blade shape on that knife, close to a wharncliffish type, BannedBob has a damascus one that is very nice as well! Thanks for sharing and PhilL, another killer composite!
G2

That is one nice display. I should get you to do my Adds.
That is one sweet knife.!!
Have a great day.
Brad

I am honored to work with Phil on illustrations. I send him line drawings when I am ready to start prototyping a project.
He then illustrates the knife for me so I can get a good prospective of what it will turn out like.
The other nice thing he does is KEEPS the knife under wraps until im ready for the knife to come out.
Phil did the delta z Osprey , gemini balisong , new project with Rob Simonich, and other projects for me.

The other nice this is he does the project in a few days.
What more could you want?

Gary
I really like that Smith folder. Any info on it? When I went to his site that knife wasn't there.
Bob

Not sure of the history of that JW Smith Dagger, blade is 4" about and the top section isn't sharpened, handle is Desert Ironwood scales and a tan micarta back spacer. Silky smooth opening on that one and lock up is solid, the handle has such a nice shapely look to it doesn't it?

I didn't see this on his site either, he seems to be moving into some more standard tactical models right now and then you make the JUMP to his Top end line that are really really beautiful and also brings along a nice price tag that is worth every penny....JW Smith is quite a good fellow, met him at the show and have talked with him on the phone a couple of times, recently and then a few years ago when I had him thin down a wharncliff blade for me. He is Tops in the trade and would recommend any knife he made!

G2

What can I say??? Phil, thank you for helping me out. I will
neverhave the artist mind like you, but I have learned so much from "lesson one".
Thanks phil. You are the MAN......wolf;) ;)

Rob, absolutely AWESOME Knife...

Phil is a true artist and a great supporter of BladeForums and the knife industry in general. One of the good guys.

Phil is the Man when it comes to making ugly knives look really good. He sure did that with some of the knives I made. I'm proud to be his friend.
Just frigging awesome pictures, Phil..

I told Phil I needed a cool avatar of a squinting Chinese man with fu man chu, and he made me one. Phil is the man!

Phil has a true talent and is willing to share with everyone that needs help. He has done several things for me, including my avatar and I am always amazed at his work.

DA PIC MAKIN BASTID. :D

Back