Truck Buying...Toyota Tacoma vs Tundra...

I have been shopping around for a truck lately. I have owned/driven several Toyota Camry's since the mid 90s. The Toyota Tacoma is "plenty" of truck for what I would do with one. The V6 Pre Runner 2WD Access (extended) cab was my first thought. Then I thought for just a little more money I could go with the 4 door Double Cab to gain some additional rear passenger room and they do offer that with the longer bed as well. The resale value would be better and there aren't as many of those around as other cab/bed configurations.

My second thought was a Tundra Double Cab (not full crew cab/4 door). The reason for this is that the fuel economy ratings aren't much different between the two Double Cab models on each truck. The smaller V8 engine would be plenty for me on the Tundra. The Tundra would have more room overall...and it seems like the rear seating area in the Tundra would provide more leg room/comfort for passengers than the 4 door Double Cab Tacoma.

There won't be passengers riding that often in the rear seating area....and when there are, they will be teenagers at the oldest and most likely just one (fiance's daughter). I have recently driven several Tacoma models and I have ridden in a Tundra before.

I'm just curious if any of you that own/drive a Tacoma or Tundra could give your opinions on them and your experiences. I'm not really concerned about quality issues with the brand....I've been driving them for a while now with good high mileage results. I would just like to hear some real life opinions as owners.

Thanks. John

My dad is a contractor that is hard on his vehicles, and his 07 v8 tundra has not let him down once. He tows trailers full of material with it all the time. Cant go wrong with a tacoma either though, those things live forever.

I've owned both. I currently own an '09 Tacoma manual transmission V6 double cab short box.

I really liked the Tundra ('07 double cab long box), but I had to install Firestone suspension airbags as it really didn't like taking a heavy load in the back (flat springs/bottoming-out). I traded it in for the Tacoma and couldn't be happier. The only Tacoma negatives for me really are: 1) fuel economy - could be better, it's not much different than the V8 Tundra; 2) the small bed, there are times I wish I had enough room to put the quad in the back, but the Tacoma is good at trailering (I trailer all heavy loads now). I really wish the long box model was available with the manual transmission (I will never buy an automatic) this is a real shortcoming IMO.

7F69C936-A90B-4724-B553-0226EA646F52-190-0000008AD7431289.jpg

I have an '03 Tacoma; Access cab, 4x4, 4 cylinder. I can honestly say it has never disappointed. I bought it about 5 years ago with only 20k miles on it and the only money I have put into it is tires and a few oil changes. I know 4 bangers get a lot of haters, but I haul firewood with this thing all the time. I throw one quad in the bed and drag another on the trailer, with three people in the cab, and it will make it up and down the hills just fine.

My co-worker just bought a '13 Tundra Crew Cab. He bought the big V8 (5.7 I think) because he had heard there were some problems with the smaller engine. And he is about a car geek, so I trust what he says.

The comment on the rust hit a nerve with me. I have been keeping an eye on my undercarriage the past year or two. It doesn't look too serious, but I have noticed the rust getting a little more serious down there. You might want to consider getting and undercoating, as previously mentioned.

I had mine rustproofed at Toyota when it was new... No issues so far. The Toyota rustproofing is initially quite expensive , but is guaranteed. Whenever I have it in for an oil change they inspect the rustproofing and add to it if need be and it doesn't cost me any extra. No annual reapplication is required.

My dad swears by Toyota. Has had a small toy pickup since '84. He puts about 100-150k mi. On them then trades up. He's has had no problems with them. He had a x-cab pre-runner taco last winter and spun out and flipped out on ice. He bought a double cab trd 4wd. It looks like mckrob's. He feels safer in it.

Toyota makes one of the best, and most powerful trucks on the road today. Plus they're one of the only ones that is built in the USA. That might not matter to some, but it does to me.

I am on my second Tacoma. Great truck with no problems. Current one is a 06, first was a 97. Father in law still drives the 97 without any problems.
My 06 is V6 and I average about 25 MPG (auto trans). I had a co-worker with a 2010 Tundra. He said it was averaging about 11 MPG at 6 months of ownership. It was a nice truck but a gas hog.
My 97 was a 4 cylinder with manual and got 32 MPG. Should have never sold it to my FIL.

Rustproof the frame.

+1

If you can keep the frame from turning into red dust, the Tacoma will last forever. A 4x4 with a manual is unstoppable in the snow. I've got an '02 as a second truck and I actually end up driving it more than the new truck.

I currently have both. A 96 tacoma as my work truck, 200,000 miles and going strong. never any issues. and a 2006 tundra access cab, 40,000 miles and not a single inssue.

figure out the space you need and go with that, you'll love either one

I drive a Tundra at work regularly, including cross-country towing. We use the 5.7 V8 engines and 4-door crew cabs. Even if you don't need the passenger space, it's nice to have luggage and gear locked inside instead of riding in the back.

Overall, they are beastly trucks. Tons of power with good acceleration and smooth cruising, even at high elevations. I like the handling, clearance, and interior cab space. The moon roof is a nice optional feature that I really enjoy. Lots of storage compartments and cup/bottle holders. I don't believe we've ever had a significant repair issue on these Tundra trucks, and they aren't babied. 4WD is quite functional and dependable.

However there are several personal preference issues that would prevent me from ever buying one. First off, the seats are torturous - very hard, un-giving, and shaped to best fit some unknown alien species. The interior layout is poor: instruments located at the bottom of toilet-paper-tube-like cylinders; some center control (radio, etc.) buttons are nearly out of reach. Driver visibility seems inferior to trucks of similar function from other companies.

Hope that helps, or at least suggests a detail or two to keep in mind when shopping. Good luck to you in your purchase!

2011 Tacoma double cab with 6 ft bed. It's a solid truck. I expect to keep this one awhile.

In my opinion, i would go american! Just my opinion, my father used to have an old t100 i think it was, and that was a workhorse, pulling down trees and general tough work.. It never let him down, except when the frame rotted away he got a F150 which i think is pretty tough...Thanks

Anyone plow snow with a Tundra?

The plow I run is 770 pounds with about another 105 pounds for the vehicle mount on a Non-ota.:D

I guess my question should be, is a Tundra Transmission and front end strong enough to handle this task?

In this area I mostly see the big 3 trucks with plows.

555, my impression after driving both is that the Tundra can do anything a new F150 can as far as towing, hauling, and plowing. Haven't actually seen a Tundra with a plow though.

The reason you probably mostly see the Big 3 being used for plowing, they are likely heavy duty work trucks like the Ford SuperDuty series. Toyota doesn't make anything similar.

Back