Turning an Old Hickory butcher knife into a Kephart

Out of curiosity, how many hours of work does it take you to do these?

I do them in stages and as I get to it, so it's hard to pin down an exact amount of time.
My best guess would be about 4 hours of total work though.

I was skeptical about the shape of the one with Macassar ebony, but I haven't picked up the one with cherry wood since finishing the second one.
I REALLY enjoy using these!

EDIT; I just picked up another 7" Ontario butcher knife to play in the garage a little more.
I might make a few of these for Christmas presents for some friends.

EDIT; I just picked up another 7" Ontario butcher knife to play in the garage a little more.
I might make a few of these for Christmas presents for some friends.

Wanna be my friend?
:D

I'm interested. Tell us more!

I have been toying with the idea of doing something like this as well.

Just came upon this thread and had to order a knife so I can try my hand at something similar.

Thanks so much for sharing and awesome work!

By the way, OP, how did you remove the handle so smoothly? It looks like the pins are even in tact?

By the way, OP, how did you remove the handle so smoothly? It looks like the pins are even in tact?

Not the OP, but think I can give you an answer. The stock handles on the OH knives are just held on with what they call cutlery rivets. Just need a small prybar or junk knife, get it between the tang and scale and the rivet pops right out, they not glued on or anything. If you going to mod one of these knives you should at least pop off the scales and epoxy them back on because as they come crud will get between the scales and muck up your knife.

evildeadedd is right.
I use a thick feeler gauge to make a slight opening between the covers and the steel, then slip an old 1' putty knife blade in between.
I twist the putty knife toward the rivet and they usually pop right off.

OK. Going to do this to my 7" butcher knife when i replace the scales in another week or two. leaving blade profile as is, but definitely want to upgrade the handle.
Thanks so much guys!

Back