Tuxedo; #49

rprocter

BANNED
i recently bought this Camillus #49, a 3", delrin, tuxedo, on ebay. story: given to him by "an old knife collector in early 1970s".
i like this knife, the fit & finish is made to very fine tolerances. but i do wonder about it's age; 3 line stamp, CAMILLUS not underlined, and if the clamshell box is original to knife as box says: SWORD BRAND/Hand Made, but knife has no Sword Brand markings.
any info on this pattern, or ideas about this knife will be appreciated. roland

Attachments

• IMGP0741.JPG
    IMGP0741.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP0748.JPG
    IMGP0748.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGP0745.JPG
    IMGP0745.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMGP0746.JPG
    IMGP0746.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 30
I'm no expert, just an enthusiast trying to learn. The stamp looks to be dated 1946 to 1956. I suspect that the box doesn't match the knife. I hope someone more knowledgeable will be able to give the definitive answer. Nice knife, nice condition.

Delrin was not available before 1960/61. These knives are shown in my circa 1976 catalog, though they may have been also produced earlier. The price at that time was $7.00

thanks Codger, for what it's worth, this box has $5 price tag. but, safe to assume wrong box as a Sword Brand knife would "always" be marked as such ?

Sigh.... The catalog page I mentioned was labeled Sword Brand and Camillus. Most of the knives on the page don't illustrate the S.B. etch or tang stamp. I have no idea of the age or origin of your box. Sword Brand was added to the Camillus marks in 1906 and used off and on for many years. As usual, you will have to wait for Mr. Williams or someone else more knowledgable on Camillus than I for these answers.

I do not believe that the model #49 was a Sword Brand knife. If it was, it would be stamped or etched Sword Brand on the blade.
Camillus used whatever box was available. In later years some knives were packed in the silver color Silver Sword boxes (I remember seeing Marlin Spike knives packed in these boxes).
The model #49 was the favorite knife of the company's president, Nilo Mirio. He used to give this knife to visitors that came to the Camillus factory. When I worked in the shipping dept. he would call and ask for a box that held a half dozen knives and give them to the visitor. The knives were packed in the red boxes.
A version with white or pearl (imitation) handles was also made and was the model #49P.

Tom Williams

Great information, as always Tom! :thumbup:

Thanks for providing those special stories to help fill in all the spaces.

Bill

i agree, thank you Tom. it makes collecting SO much more interesting to know a little history around each knife & pattern. roland

Tuxedo #49P Ivory Propionate handles (1977-1979)

0_aadae_aa50ce7f_XL.jpg

I hate to revive a dead thread, but why start a new one? If prefered, move it... I won't mind! I just picked up this Camillus #49 on eBay for $20, it was advertised as 1940-1960. I just like tiny toothpicks, tuxedo knives etc. Tiny knives period! I wonder if I got a good deal? It walks and talks like brand new and barely even has a scratch on the blades. I'd like to know, if anyoone knows offhand, the estimated value and year this knife was made. I'm a stickler for information, but I'm not having much luck. The seller was unresponsive (big surprise) I even downloaded a camillus catalog from the 60's and 70's and it skipped right from model 48-50! Blew my mind. Have a look at my beautiful lil knife either way, thanks guys!
v2gXssd.jpg
GBerkzJ.jpg

MarsHillPicker,
This is undoubtedly a good deal. However, it cannot be 40's or 50's, since it was started in the 60's.
I think I will not be mistaken if I dating your knife 60's-70's.

Back