TV help

Usually I'm far more analog, but this time around I've got a question pertaining to digital media. Does anyone know if there's a way to use a USB flash drive in conjunction with a modern flatscreen TV, so that whatever shows are on the drive can be played and watched? Is there some sort of adapter that's needed for hooking the two together?

In general, some smart TVs can read the files directly if they are "standard" formats like MP4, some can also read stuff like .MKV, but its based on the particular model.
An easier method is using a media box like a vero 4k, (no idea about the actual unit, just have seen some recommendations of it.) or an Nvidea shield. They do a take a bit if setup, but in general if your TV doesn't have a built in player (or if the built in player sucks) then your options are somewhat limited. There used to be more stand-alone units on the market, but since most people stream, and most folks with lots of local data have a spare computer, there aren't as many options any more for a plug-and-play media engine.

I just plug my thumb drive into my Blu-ray player and play it from there. No issues yet

There are a bunch of blue-rays that can, but lots that have a usb port, but can't decode many formats, so just be sure you check what that model can do before you buy.

Many (most? all?) new TVs have a USB port. Most will also have built-in WI-Fi that can do firmware updates. Same goes for Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, etc. Or you can always use an HDMI cable to a laptop.

HDMI, and a lap top or pc is the way to go.
My main PC is in the living room hooked up to my tv.
Add a wireless keyboard/mouse, and a coffee table...
I'm posting from that now. Last night I was posting, watching a movie, and D'loading some music I like.

Look up HTPC (home theater pc)
It's like switching from Super 8 to VHS. :thumbsup:

I use a WD TV Player with my TV as it plays all format's but h.265 and they work really well to.
The WD TV Player is basically a media player for you TV and you pause the TV show your watching or if your halfway threw the show and need to go out it will remember where you were on that show as well.

Back