two legged snake problems in the woods

I have heard enough stabman, you ever heard the term "Mall Ninja".

I think I will go back to talking about the outdoors. Chris

Yeah I heard the term. I guess thinking you can defend yourself without a gun qualifies a person as one.
Strange, thinking people are bad makes you unrealistic, but you should carry a gun to defend yourself from the nice people? How does that make sense?
Trust the nice people but be ready to shoot them; confusing.

In Canada you can legally own a 14 inch barrel for your 12 ga, and carry it like that in the woods. I think that would be my option if I was in Canada and stuck with their goofy laws on handguns. A nice, compact 14 inch 870.

Yep, totally want one of those.
It would be nice if they just allowed hunting with a hand-gun again; sporting and fun.:thumbup:
Of course, then the rhetoric of "hand-guns are for killing people:eek:" would fall flat.

I guess this is my last offering on the subject. There are so many out there desparately attempting to substitute their judjment in place of my own. It never ceases as proven throughout history. They have their own agenda, even those with good intentions who will try to convince me it's for my own benefit. "No thank you".:)Regards, ss.

ADDED: I must be a regular John Dillinger according to some people: I smoke, gamble, hunt animals, sometimes carry a gun, enjoy shooting, and like knives. I must be a very suspicious guy. I've never so much as threatened anyone or even received a traffic ticket. I'm soooo tttterrible! :D. ss

Honestly, this thread is getting more and more like something out of prac-tac. Stabman, it sounds like you are experiencing some of the bad parts of urbanism, I myself lived in the roughest part of Winnipeg for a few years where gang violence was common but then again usually directed at competing gangs rather than poor students just trying to scurry to their laboratory. Oh yeah, -40oC for 6 weeks straight does have a way of cutting back crime immensly :) Perhaps the funniest, and yet most heartbreaking thing, I witnessed was someone trying to sniff the gas from my jetta diesel. I think it just might have cured him of his habit.

Still, I have usually found really good experiences in the backcountry. Admittedly, I haven't come across illegal grow-out operations or anything like that. I'm also a bit of a gabber. I see someone on the trail I'm on, I will often politely ask how they are doing and if they are in the mood will strike up a conversation, such as asking them where they are from, what trails they walked and so forth.

I remember once meeting this old timer on a backcountry trail and after shooting the gab for a while we ended up sharing our dinner rations and camped at adjacent sites. Turns out he returned to the park every year for the last 20 years. When I told him I really wanted to see and hopefully photograph some elk, he actually brought me to a great little salt lick area off the trail that I would have never found early the next morning and then we said farewell. I managed to spot some elk, but wasn't so lucky on the photograph. Still, there is a lot to be said sometimes by being friendly to folks and it isn't always in your best interest to look menacing and act as though everything is a threat.

There was this other time when I met this little park ranger-ette in yellowstone park who finally had some off time and wanted to see for herself all the geisures. Lets just say it was a pleasure to have her as my personal guide and my good fortune to have her company. Mr. Noodles can go a long way in breaking ice :)

Honestly, this thread is getting more and more like something out of prac-tac. Stabman, it sounds like you are experiencing some of the bad parts of urbanism, I myself lived in the roughest part of Winnipeg for a few years where gang violence was common but then again usually directed at competing gangs rather than poor students just trying to scurry to their laboratory. Oh yeah, -40oC for 6 weeks straight does have a way of cutting back crime immensly :) Perhaps the funniest, and yet most heartbreaking thing, I witnessed was someone trying to sniff the gas from my jetta diesel. I think it just might have cured him of his habit.

Still, I have usually found really good experiences in the backcountry. Admittedly, I haven't come across illegal grow-out operations or anything like that. I'm also a bit of a gabber. I see someone on the trail I'm on, I will often politely ask how they are doing and if they are in the mood will strike up a conversation, such as asking them where they are from, what trails they walked and so forth.

I remember once meeting this old timer on a backcountry trail and after shooting the gab for a while we ended up sharing our dinner rations and camped at adjacent sites. Turns out he returned to the park every year for the last 20 years. When I told him I really wanted to see and hopefully photograph some elk, he actually brought me to a great little salt lick area off the trail that I would have never found early the next morning and then we said farewell. I managed to spot some elk, but wasn't so lucky on the photograph. Still, there is a lot to be said sometimes by being friendly to folks and it isn't always in your best interest to look menacing and act as though everything is a threat.

There was this other time when I met this little park ranger-ette in yellowstone park who finally had some off time and wanted to see for herself all the geisures. Lets just say it was a pleasure to have her as my personal guide and my good fortune to have her company. Mr. Noodles can go a long way in breaking ice :)

That's a nice story.:)
I'm always friendly to those I meet, I just don't trust them. Friendliness and confidence usually work out really nice; either the person you're conversing with is nice, in which case great, or, if they're not, your confidence makes them look for an easier target.
LOOKING menacing is counterproductive, and can start problems better avoided.

I've been reading a bunch of Horse $hit on here about gun control issues, and I'm not happy about it!!! Why punish the good honest people when the crime is from the unregistered buyers?

Someone (no names mentioned :rolleyes:) brought up the black market guns in Canada, that kind of defeats the purpose of gun control. Which is why there shouldn't be gun control in the first place. It just stops the good at heart from being armed with the guns that we SHOULD have.

Turn on your TV right now, people are being blown apart overseas and America is the biggest target in the world. Why would we have our guns taken away when they have been the sole protectors of America since before the birth of this Great Nation? There have been mentions of invasion in previous wars and the only stopping factor was the fact that most American homes have guns for defending themselves.

Another issue is that I stand in line and pay for my background check, that's enough, no $80.00 add on. That's a load right there, just because you can pay for it doesn't mean that we all can or WANT to, and it sure as hell doesn't stop some crazy from getting a gun anyways.

As for Middle aged weaponry, that stuff has been more battle tested than modern pistols have. In fact, pistols are the upgrades to those weapons which is why we stopped carrying those things :rolleyes:. Sure they are fun to buy and play with, but they can't be compared to pistols or any kind of firearms as being "safer" or "better."

Don't try to take away my guns just because of your beliefs. America was founded by peasants with guns, so guns we WILL KEEP. I can see Somebodies point about being against carrying firearms ONLY because his Dad was a FED and was probably shot at a few times, but besides that, trying to take away my guns is just plain stupid.

I'm done ranting, J.

I think it's too hard here to get guns and too easy in the States.
When it was JUST a license needed here, with no talk of bans or confiscation, that was perfect. No registration of long guns either for a long time; made trading easier.:thumbup:

As for Black Market guns, I brought that up just to show that guns wouldn't disappear from Canada if they were banned, and if we felt we NEEDED them.
The guns in the American Revolution wouldn't have been considered "legal" by the British I'm sure, yet Americans went and used them anyway.
If we needed guns for a revolution, they're here, that's all.
And since more of them keep flooding into our Black Market from the USA every year, our government will whine, and use guns as an easy political issue, but they know there's TONS(literally) of unregistered, illegal guns all over the place; the ban will not take place any time soon.
If YOU guys end up banning them, THAT'S when I'll worry here. Till then, I'll keep shooting, deal with the licensing requirements, and not worry about it. My CSSA membership is all the "worrying" I'll do.
And if anyone here feels the need to carry a gun for defense, then they'll just have to live by that old saying "better tried by 12 than carried by 6." Some people DO carry them around; not wise legally, but some do(I'm talking registered guns here).

The whole issue is bureaucratic BS. Our government trust us (sort of) with firearms and Canada's government trusts them with over the counter codeine. In both cases reasonable intelligent people use these things responsibly and in both cases morons do not. The fact is the people who should not have guns or over the counter codeine should probably not have sharp pencils or matches either but there is not a whole lot to be done about them as science removes natural selection almost entirely.

Could you please cite appropriate statute?

Here in the states, all shotguns must have a barrel at least 18" in length,

As far as I know, it just has to be a factory made part.
It PROBABLY still has to meet the overall length requirement(I'll have to check).
But I did see a nice short .410 shotgun, single barrel, with 12 or 14 inch barrel at General Gun, and it was only considered a regular long gun.

YOU just don't get it. If us Canadians turned in our guns, we could EASILY replace them with Black Market ones, and for CHEAPER.
In Canada they DON'T restrict blade length. Your guns are a security blanket for you, so this discussion is over.:thumbdn:

No, I get it just fine. In fact, I understand you better than YOU do....scary, eh?

You'd be first in line to turn in your guns, first in line to turn in your knives and you'd never, ever buy an illegal gun because you'd say a baseball bat "is king inside 21 feet."

:rolleyes:

No, I get it just fine. In fact, I understand you better than YOU do....scary, eh?

You'd be first in line to turn in your guns, first in line to turn in your knives and you'd never, ever buy an illegal gun because you'd say a baseball bat "is king inside 21 feet."

:rolleyes:

All you understand is your distorted opinion of me, a person you've never met.
You think to trap me into saying I'd go illegal to satisfy having you think I'm more realistic?
Come on.:rolleyes:
Yeah I guess all us Canadians blindly obey the law; that's why there's no pot, heroin, cocaine, rape, murder, or theft here. We all live in gum-drop houses and take the magical hybrid trolly to the government sponsored free stuff shop.
I don't think you get Canada, or Canadians, at all.

Hey stabman, seems to me that you and Bare Rib have become the two "most unwanted" members on this thread :p. LOL, just kidding, I think the canadian wilderness is as good as it gets, but I wouldn't want to live under those laws, maybe as a "permanent mountain man," but not as a suburbanite (if that is a word :confused:).

Hey stabman, seems to me that you and Bare Rib have become the two "most unwanted" members on this thread :p. LOL, just kidding, I think the canadian wilderness is as good as it gets, but I wouldn't want to live under those laws, maybe as a "permanent mountain man," but not as a suburbanite (if that is a word :confused:).

You're probably right.:)
To be fair, many states have laws I find equally crappy on many issues, and the latent racism which seems to pervade gets on my nerves.
About the only thing I like about the States is the guns and knives produced over there; nice stuff.
The wilderness is awesome here, and there's enough of it that I feel no need to go to other countries.
Except maybe Egypt; like those pyramids.

Egypt is pretty cool as a whole, especially Cairo, loved the markets and outdoor restaurants.

I was very disapointed in the pyramids, reminded me of tijuana with pyramids, lots of very poor people trying to sell you things or rip you off.

I was stranded there for almost 2 weeks, I had a room at the Sheraton in Cairo and my balcony was practically over the Nile, I pretty much had a blast. Chris

In Canada we can own a manufactured 8 inch barrel shotgun with factory pistol grip, its made by DLASK. I think things are tied up in legislation of course, try googling it.
One rule I can't stand is mags must be pinned to 5 rounds, but the pin is easily removed in case you want to go on a rampage.

Back