• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Two more 8" chef's knives with gorgeous woods in AEB-L

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
Offering two of my 8" chef's knives, made of .098" thick AEB-L, with heat treating done by me, in-house, including cryogenic treatment These are right at about RC 62.

AEB-L is a unique steel, in that it has next to no alloying elements to offer increased wear resistance, having just enough chromium to make it stainless steel, and only enough carbon to provide great hardness, making for fantastic edge stability and yet still being easy enough to maintain. Blades feature full distal tapering with a machine finish to reduce sticking, and are ground to .004" previous to sharpening.

The first features a slightly upraised handle, in stabilized and heavily figured Hawaiian koa, with stainless steel pins. This is unequivocally the most beautiful handle material I've ever used. The chatoyance is nothing short of holographic, and mesmerizing.

Price: $SOLD via Paypal, shipped to anywhere in the continental US. Contact me for shipping elsewhere and we'll find a way. I'll absorb all Paypal fees.

The second has a slightly upraised handle in stabilized curly Honduran mahogany, with stainless pins. These woods are getting harder and harder to find, especially with figure this deep and detailed...

Price: $SOLD via Paypal, shipped to anywhere in the continental US. Contact me for shipping elsewhere and we'll find a way. I'll absorb all Paypal fees.

Last edited:
Beautiful knives, if I hadn't just bought myself a new Gyuto I would definitely grab the top one. Don't suppose you could make a 140mm petty/utility knife in the AEB-L with the stabilized and heavily figured Hawaiian koa, I would love one of those.

Beautiful knives, if I hadn't just bought myself a new Gyuto I would definitely grab the top one. Don't suppose you could make a 140mm petty/utility knife in the AEB-L with the stabilized and heavily figured Hawaiian koa, I would love one of those.

Thanks for the kind words! Found this message just as that one sold. That was quick!!!

Not sure how much koa I have left, and it's getting harder and harder to find... We'll just have to see what the future brings!:)

Thanks Mathew, not surprised that it sold so quickly. Well done. And if you are open to making a small custom utility with that koa It would make my day :)

Two more winners. Great lines.

Awesome knives! And the wood....it's just....I mean....good night.....(wipes off drool from mouth)

Thanks Mathew, not surprised that it sold so quickly. Well done. And if you are open to making a small custom utility with that koa It would make my day :)

Steven,
I've sent you an email - please keep an eye open for it.

Thanks for all the comments, gang. The Honduran Mahogany is still available. Vayu and I have worked out an arrangement for another piece...

Thanks again, guys!!

I must admit, I'm astonished no one has jumped on the Honduran mahogany version... For myself, I think it's one of the most beautiful woods I've worked with. Also, it's increasingly more difficult to acquire due to it's CITES Endgangered Species listing.

Vayu and I had several back-and-forth emails regarding this, and he pressed me to obtain proof of its legal acquisition - a wise position, and I'm thankful for his insight! My source is one of the few authorized to import and distribute this material (and yes, I did acquire the documentation), so caveat emptor, folks...

I really do appreciate all the comments, gang - thanks again for looking.

The knife is gorgeous Matt and priced cheap, someone is gonna score, that's for sure.

While Matt was voluntarily pursuing the issue of mahogany importation for me he had another piece in the same style that I jumped on. This is a fantastic chefs knife and his craftsmanship is outstanding. I agree with Ben that given the quality, rarity, certified sustainable status of that wood, this knife is a steal and will make someone very happy very soon :)

Back