• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Type K thermocouples five for $25.00

Excuse my ignorance. Is there any way to hook these up to read the temperature in a forge?
Thanks
Cal

Sorry I haven't answered, I let this thread go for a while.

I still have lots of themocouples (several hundred actually)

I have mine that are in my kilns (Yes I have 3 kilns and am planning to build one designed specifically for heat treating) hooked up to a PID controller that I bought from Auber Instruments (auberins.com) you can hook them up to a digital pyrometer, but you will pay more for a pyrometer than you will for a PID (non-ramping ones are usually around $50) You can use a voltmeter (some have type K input already roughly calibrated, I have a Sears that is set up for a type K thermocouple) and I believe you can use a 1/2 volt analog meter if you calibrate it right but I haven't tried that myself so I can't speak to how well it works.

I drill 2 small holes about a half inch apart through the brick where they are not likely to touch any metal, I have the bead of the thermocouple about an inch out from the insulation at the top of the kiln approximately centered. I have little G10 spacers to keep the wire leads from touching each other between the kiln and the terminals for the PID housing. The PID is in a metal project box from an electronic store with a terminal strip on the outside to connect the relay and thermocouple leads to. The metal box helps make sure I don't touch the power terminals on the PID

-Page

Back