Ugh! I cut myself!

Ivan Campos

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So it was just another hole, why bother getting the visegrip? That´s what I though just before the 3" blade spinned on the drill bit and its tip dug into the palm of my left hand...
No I am bleeding so much I even can see part of my liver coming out of the cut and, worst of all, have noone to blame except myself... :(

Damn dude, the old propeller trick. Had it happen to me but never with a sharpened blade. Hope you heal quickly.
Scott

Luckily, it was not sharp. Just ried again with the visegrp and it managed to escape and hit the back of my thumb no cut this time but it is aching.
I better leave the drill press alone for the day - it seems she is not ina good mood at all.

I cut myself once, stupid bandsaw. :mad:

:eek:
attachment.php

Went straight through the nail right along the bone, now that was fun. ;)

Ivan, why do you think they invented super glue?? To hold the cuts together on us Portagees. :eek:

T. Erdelyi said:
I cut myself once, stupid bandsaw. :mad:

:eek:
attachment.php

Went straight through the nail right along the bone, now that was fun. ;)

c@@l I'll bet that will leave a mark :)
looks like the time my Band saw got me..

that red don't look good though..

heal soon guy's there's knives to be made.. :D

I cut myself teaching my sister knife technique. I had a knife with a designed sheath that locked on to use it as a trainer. Guess what.....I almost cut off the end of my finger with a "sure thing". Cut went to the bone and angled down to the first knuckle. Almost cut off the whole pad. This happened 2 months ago and it still doesn't have any feeling. :rolleyes: Glad it did not get her!

Thanks for all the horror storeis, guys - they sure made me feel better. :D
Kit, I decided to blame my girlfriend because I could be thinking about her when it happened - it is better than the drill press! :D
IG, I was using the right hand to hold the piece but, as a good Portagee, I switcehd to the left when I saw it would happen. :D

Yeesh! Gross! If it makes you feel any better I stabbed myself twice on the same knife a couple days ago. Once on the right pinky and once on the left index finger. Here are some pictures of my right ring finger after I found out that some of Spyderco's Dodo ball bearing locks were defective (I have NEVER bled like this before. The second and third pics are from the next day, after the bleeding finally stopped). For real sickos I also took a short Quicktime movie of the bleeding. I lost one nice fat drop about every 1/2 second. Then I took a couple pictures and wrapped it up! Proof that the Dodo is one sharp knife!

finger1.jpg

finger2.jpg

finger3.jpg

You guys sure are rough on your selves,what would you do to someone else?????????HEAL up quick so you can get back to work.

WilsonKnives said:
You guys sure are rough on your selves,what would you do to someone else?????????HEAL up quick so you can get back to work.

trip on them and then hurt them by falling on them.. :D

Steve I'll bet that throbs some don't it..

:grumpy: dang I wonder when the next time will be when I can show some c@@L picture too :footinmou :)

heal fast Steve wrap that thing with an antibiotic, put a finger condom on it
and put it your pocket for a few days it will be good as new in
about a week, better than new,,, you'll have a new story scar.. :D

Thanks for your concern, guys, but I did that brutality to myself 6 months ago or so. I was cutting a box down, and I hold knives kind of differently from normal people so that little edge of my index finger was in the space between the scales that the folder blade goes when you close a knife. Yanked the knife, ball bearing lock decided it didn't want to stay locked and WHAM! Sent it back to Spyderco, came back about the same. Put medium pressure on the spine and the thing just flew closed. Sent it back again and the third one was the charm. Man, that hurt! But, if you want one small, REALLY sharp knife, get the Dodo. I generally don't cut myself much except when I'm working on knives, but I cut myself quite a few times on that Dodo and if you catch the blade on one of those it's not like a normal knife where you go "oops, almost cut myself..." You feel a little pinch and a minute later you look down and you realize you chopped your arm off and didn't even know it. Very crazy knife, but I love it even though my first one bit the crap out of me.

Chiro75 said:
Thanks for your concern, guys, but I did that brutality to myself 6 months ago or so. I was cutting a box down, and I hold knives kind of differently from normal people so that little edge of my index finger was in the space between the scales that the folder blade goes when you close a knife. Yanked the knife, ball bearing lock decided it didn't want to stay locked and WHAM! Sent it back to Spyderco, came back about the same. Put medium pressure on the spine and the thing just flew closed. Sent it back again and the third one was the charm. Man, that hurt! But, if you want one small, REALLY sharp knife, get the Dodo. I generally don't cut myself much except when I'm working on knives, but I cut myself quite a few times on that Dodo and if you catch the blade on one of those it's not like a normal knife where you go "oops, almost cut myself..." You feel a little pinch and a minute later you look down and you realize you chopped your arm off and didn't even know it. Very crazy knife, but I love it even though my first one bit the crap out of me.

did you send them pictures too?? :D

No, but a letter got Sal to personally inspect the Dodo they sent me (first one lock collapsed with even the lightest pressure on the spine. Second one collapsed about 15% of the time, third one was fine.) I've seen another ball bearing lock knife where the lock was secure, but if you put moderate sustained pressure on the spine of the blade you could feel the ball slowly start to roll back to the unlocked position. After about 6 seconds it would roll completely out and snap shut. Is that a realistic fear for normal use? Maybe not, but in my opinion, a lock should stay locked unless you release it. So, I'm a little paranoid of ball bearing locks.

Chiro75 said:
No, but a letter got Sal to personally inspect the Dodo they sent me (first one lock collapsed with even the lightest pressure on the spine. Second one collapsed about 15% of the time, third one was fine.) I've seen another ball bearing lock knife where the lock was secure, but if you put moderate sustained pressure on the spine of the blade you could feel the ball slowly start to roll back to the unlocked position. After about 6 seconds it would roll completely out and snap shut. Is that a realistic fear for normal use? Maybe not, but in my opinion, a lock should stay locked unless you release it. So, I'm a little paranoid of ball bearing locks.

paranoid,, I don't blame you.
to personally inspect the Dodo means there is a problem. :D
I'm surprised you didn't get a free one, it would be the very least they could do for you. I would think they would be very paranoid.. :eek:

I bought the knife NIB from another Bladeforums person. Maybe I got it on trade, I forget. Anyway, it was NIB, but not from a dealer, so I was happy with how they handled it, although I was irritated when I sent the knife in, waited a month, and got the same knife back and it wasn't fixed. Sal said about 20 of the Dodos had defective locks, so I must just be a real bad mojo for bad ball-bearing locks since I've personally held two that don't work. I've been using Spydercos forever and I really like the company. This was my first bad experience and they handled it pretty well. I'm certainly not going to sue someone or stomp my foot over a cut, even though it was a bad one, and I do use my hads every day to treat patients. I was just happy not to bleed all over everyone. :D

Back