Ultra Light "Kelly Style" Kettle. Interesting.

I've used a Kelly Kettle, and I like them. This product interests me. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for posting this. I was signed up for #5 but Devin sort of "dissappeared". I'll contact him tomorrow.

I've *just* taken delivery of mine (the 1 Pint - smallest) size and been thinking to recommend them here - great topic!!!

It's a brilliant idea and very well made. It's about as simple a design as it get BUT it works really, really well.

For a bush-crafty boiler, it's about the best thing going. All the mess of cooking the water over the fire-pan is pretty well contained inside the kettle and so it's not bad for that. It doesn't require a lot of wood. In fact, we want to process more wood than the Kelly Kettle needs.

It's aluminum, but reasonably thick. I plan on making a steel "base" to go on the inside bottom of my fire-base, but thats just me. After contemplating getting the stainless steel one (and waiting 'til they're shipping out), i bought the aluminum one and am actually very pleased with it. It's light and great heat transfer with the aluminum - faster cooking!!!!

Since most here are based in the States, you can check 'em out right here:

http://www.kellykettleusa.com/kelly-kettles.html

The one i have holds 20oz, but it's better to leave a little space for the boiling so i used a (measured) 16oz - half of a Nalgene.

I've been e-mailing the owner of the Company and he's been excellent to work with on getting my Kelly Kettle to me (i live in a harder-to-get-things-to country).

Fmajor thanks for that link!!!!

I've been wanting one of these for a bit, and couldn't find anyone thast had em in stock.

Bensbackwoods.com has the aluminum models in stock, but I'll hold out for a stainless model.

thats awesome man, thanks for the link.

wonder what would happen if you fired one of those badboys up with some good ol' bc fatwood.....

:D

jca21 - whatever it takes to get your fire going BC fatwood - US fatwood - sve jedno.

I used some PJ/cotton with dried hardwood (burns pretty hot as wood goes) and it boiled the water wayyy before the small splits were burrned up.

I think the "real deal" Kelly Kettle is really sweet and am planning on buying a larger one for my work. It's just so convenient and def. quality and i *know* the Company will stand behind their product.

Oh, sorry i hi-jacked the thread. The link i posted is not the same product as Scott Free.

Sorry. This chimney kettle looks amazing also and is definitely some excellent home-spun ingenuity. Looks like a great product.

So, any people here who is using them already? Still waiting for my delivery still here in Europe ;)

an 8 ounce 'kettle' is just not big enough.

however, should this gear related thread be in 'the other' forum? <grin>

Last edited:
an 8 ounce 'kettle' is just not big enough.

Eight ounces refers to the weight of the kettle&#8212;not its capacity. It holds 18 ounces (which would satisfy most solo travelers.)

Oh yeah- this thread was started before the forum split between gear and skills.

So, any people here who is using them already? Still waiting for my delivery still here in Europe ;)

I'm eagerly awaiting mine (Number 002).
happy0054.gif
happy0034.gif
sign0196.gif

Backcountry Boiler You Tube vid's, here.

boilerwerks_backcountrykettle_lg.jpg
]

We have an Outdoor Gear sub-forum in W&SS. In the future place all gear related threads in this forum.

Thanks.

Mine came Wednesday from Backpacking Light site. Looks very nice. Will try it out this weekend.

I've always wanted to try one of those.

I love gagets but since I do a fair amount of actual cooking sometimes I've always wondered if it would be worth bringing.

Also I do a lot of cooking over a fire and it never seems that hard to get my 2l pot boiling so I sort of wonder if it's a lot faster than just heating water in a pot.

I pretty much ruled out the Kelly ones on the weight and bulk vs capacity and utility, but these new lighter versions might be worthy.

Just a couple of pictures and fast review. Mine came in and I was able to "play with it" for a little bit. I was using chips of oak and sweetgum hardwood and some pieces of fatwood.

BackcountryBoiler-02.jpg

BackcountryBoiler-01.jpg

BackcountryBoiler-03.jpg

It really doesn't take as much wood as I suspected. Once you get a good fire going, it's easy to feed as typical with the Kelly Kettle type of chimney. I haven't tried any packing variations, but it's a little bigger in diameter than a Nalgene, but some should fit okay. I like the fact that you can carry water in the stove with the cork to keep from leaking. I'm really looking forward to getting this out on some hikes and backpacking. I'm quite impressed with the quality. This was very well done and Devon gets two :thumbup::thumbup:

ROCK6

Back