Ultra Thin Utility Knife Run?

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've always been a big fan of thin knives with great edge geometry; they simply cut better!

After I finish a few projects, I've been thinking about doing a run of thin utility fixed blades that would be ideal for EDC.

I'm leaning towards a thickness of .06" - .07". This thickness is just about perfect for small dedicated slicers.

You won't be chopping concrete blocks or stabbing through car doors with these knives, but they will be extremely efficient slicers of soft materials!

There are several of my existing designs that would be great in this thickness. I also have a few newer designs that would work well.

1/8" G10 scales would go well with this blade thickness, and make a VERY flat and compact package. I can always do a wrapped version upon request.

I'm not 100% sure if a blade this thin can be double hollow ground with the contact wheels that I have, so I may chisel grind them. (There is actually a mathematical formula I use to determine grind height as a relative to contact wheel size and stock thickness.)

I'm thinking perhaps some kiridashi and some of my smaller "neck knife size" designs.

What do you guys think? Should I do a run of ultra thin EDC blades?

Last edited:
I've always been a fan of your kiridashis as well as super thin slicers. On small knives also, I prefer chisel grinds as I feel they are much easier to do precision work, which I feel would be the point of a thin small knife. If you do do a run of these put me down for one! I've been in the market for a small EDC for light work to replace my Spydie and one of these would fit the bill nicely I feel.

Just wondering, would you be selling these with sheaths or leather pockets?

I've always been a fan of your kiridashis as well as super thin slicers. On small knives also, I prefer chisel grinds as I feel they are much easier to do precision work, which I feel would be the point of a thin small knife. If you do do a run of these put me down for one! I've been in the market for a small EDC for light work to replace my Spydie and one of these would fit the bill nicely I feel.

Just wondering, would you be selling these with sheaths or leather pockets?

Sounds good; will do!

I like chisel grinds for precision cutting also. The flat side of the blade allows me to get closer to the material I'm cutting and really see the path of the cut.

I'll probably do all chisel grinds for the kiridashi, and will experiment with double hollow grinds on some of the other designs. Double hollow grinding .06" steel can be tricky!

I've actually considered doing a Scandinavia grind on a few of them, but I know that people often have issues sharpening them.

All knives would come with a kydex sheath designed for pocket and/or neck carry. I've been carrying my small fixed blades in my front right pocket, and don't even notice them.

I really like making smaller knives, because I feel that people are more likely to carry them!

Last edited:
Sounds good; will do!

I like chisel grinds for precision cutting also. The flat side of the blade allows me to get closer to the material I'm cutting and really see the path of the cut.

That's my thinking as well! Chisel grinds make it so much easier to know exactly where your edge is in relation to what you're cutting.

I'll probably do all chisel grinds for the kiridashi, and will experiment with double hollow grinds on some of the other designs. Double hollow grinding .06" steel can be tricky!

I can imagine! Good luck with it and be careful!

All knives would come with a kydex sheath designed for pocket and/or neck carry. I've been carrying my small fixed blades in my front right pocket, and don't even notice them.

I really like making smaller knives, because I feel that people are more likely to carry them!

Awesome, that sounds great to me! And yeah I often find I am not using any of my bigger knives at all, and mostly just carry small folders (Spyderco Jester, Ladybug, CoPilot etc etc).

Also, just wondering, have you decided on a steel yet? Thanks!

I've always been a big fan of thin knives with great edge geometry; they simply cut better!

After I finish a few projects, I've been thinking about doing a run of thin utility fixed blades that would be ideal for EDC.

I'm leaning towards a thickness of .06" - .07". This thickness is just about perfect for small dedicated slicers.

You won't be chopping concrete blocks or stabbing through car doors with these knives, but they will be extremely efficient slicers of soft materials!

There are several of my existing designs that would be great in this thickness. I also have a few newer designs that would work well.

1/8" G10 scales would go well with this blade thickness, and make a VERY flat and compact package. I can always do a wrapped version upon request.

I'm not 100% sure if a blade this thin can be double hollow ground with the contact wheels that I have, so I may chisel grind them. (There is actually a mathematical formula I use to determine grind height as a relative to contact wheel size and stock thickness.)

I'm thinking perhaps some kiridashi and some of my smaller "neck knife size" designs.

What do you guys think? Should I do a run of ultra thin EDC blades?
Are you talking thickness behind the edge at .06-.07"? Or .007-.006"?

I would totally be down for something with ultra thin geometry. Although I would prefer double V ground.

Also, just wondering, have you decided on a steel yet? Thanks!

I'm planning on using 15N20. I've been experimenting with it for some time, and have been impressed with the performance. So much so, that I've actually made a few kitchen knives with it.

15N20 is a great steel that combines good edge holding with a high degree of toughness. It's actually used to make industrial bandsaw blades! This means that finding pieces around .06" thick is relatively easy.

These are going to be great, lightweight EDC blades!

Are you talking thickness behind the edge at .06-.07"? Or .007-.006"?

I would totally be down for something with ultra thin geometry. Although I would prefer double V ground.

The actual thickness of the steel prior to grinding will be about .06"; roughly the thickness of a thin kitchen knife. I'm not sure what the thickness behind the edge will be, but it will be quite thin.

I'm going to try to double grind a few and see how thing go. With that thickness, I may have to double hollow grind them with a 36" radius platen to achieve the grind height/geometry that I'm looking for.

I'm planning on using 15N20. I've been experimenting with it for some time, and have been impressed with the performance. So much so, that I've actually made a few kitchen knives with it.

15N20 is a great steel that combines good edge holding with a high degree of toughness. It's actually used to make industrial bandsaw blades! This means that finding pieces around .06" thick is relatively easy.

These are going to be great, lightweight EDC blades!

Awesome, I've never used it but I've heard great things about it!

Also, if you run out of designs to make just let me know :p I believe I've used your Ebi dashi as inspiration for a hawkbill dashi before! Never got around to building it though and now it just sits around on my desktop until I get more free time

Last edited by a moderator:
The actual thickness of the steel prior to grinding will be about .06"; roughly the thickness of a thin kitchen knife. I'm not sure what the thickness behind the edge will be, but it will be quite thin.

I'm going to try to double grind a few and see how thing go. With that thickness, I may have to double hollow grind them with a 36" radius platen to achieve the grind height/geometry that I'm looking for.

Oh my bad :). Sounds like a great project and I am definitely interested. I will sub to this thread.

Awesome, I've never used it but I've heard great things about it!

Also, if you run out of designs to make just let me know :p I believe I've used your Ebi dashi as inspiration for a hawkbill dashi before! Never got around to building it though and now it just sits around on my desktop until I get more free time
It's funny that you mention the Ebi; I was actually thinking that it would be a great choice for this project. It's just about perfect as a neck/pocket blade.

Sound like a great idea. I think people will like them and use them a lot more than they think.

I made some miniature skinners out of 1/16" O1, OAL ~3.5", blade~1.25". Gave one to my daughter's boy friend, told him that it was a little utility blade to keep at his desk to open mail and other little daily tasks. He fessed up that he takes it fishing and cleans the fish with it.

Ric

The EBI would be a perfect slicer this thin. I want one, red G-10 or antique ivory Micarta with red liners?
Bruce

The EBI would be a perfect slicer this thin. I want one, red G-10 or antique ivory Micarta with red liners?
Bruce

I have some red G10, but will look for some antique ivory micarta at Blade this year. It would look great with red liners!

Sound like a great idea. I think people will like them and use them a lot more than they think.

I made some miniature skinners out of 1/16" O1, OAL ~3.5", blade~1.25". Gave one to my daughter's boy friend, told him that it was a little utility blade to keep at his desk to open mail and other little daily tasks. He fessed up that he takes it fishing and cleans the fish with it.

Ric

I've had similar experiences. I've made a lot of large knives, but a lot of people tell me that they really prefer the smaller EDC blades that I make. Large knives are great, but they often are left at home!

Jonathan,
It would be great if you found some antique ivory micarta at blade. I like red some where on my knives because that is a good fortune color for us of Chinese ancestry. This combination would be fantastic for my first knife from you. I've wanted one of your knives since I first saw your work on this forum.

Bruce

*bump*
I dont know if this thread is still an active topic, but I would get down with one of these.

Back