Umnumzaan(New) edge retention?

If you've used S30V it will be about the same. Sharpen it the same way you would with any other steel in this class.

I strop mine after a days use and sharpen ( touch up ) once a week

It'll hold a good useable edge for quite a while. Stripping will keep it crazy sharp with little effort. When mine gets anything more than dull I strop it on an ultra fine ceramic rod.

It keeps a usable edge for a while. It's hair shaving edge goes away fairly soon

Agreed. Like many S30V knives, it tends to lose that scary sharp pretty quickly, but it holds a useful sharp working edge for a while.

It is worth noting that Reeve's S30V is a little softer than others. If it is S35VN, edge-holding performance isn't dramatically different, although S35VN is tougher and I think it is easier to sharpen.

And a +2 on stropping. That will keep the edge super sharp with minimal effort and minimize the amount of steel removed with edge touchup.

Yeah another vote for stropping. I just wanted to clarify. When I say usable edge I mean will cut, slice, and otherwise separate anything with minimal effort. It just loses its shaving sharp edge relatively quickly. It won't be dull. Also +1 on the softer heat treat which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is an easy steel to sharpen because of it and seems to be less prone to chipping.

Back