Unbelievably inexpensive but very good chef knife set!

My inner skeptic wonders why a set of vg-10 knives cost less than a single blank vg-10 blade?

Hey Tom, the image on your post #10 above, is your knife edge chippy (the edge looks like it has a few micro-chips)? I bought a couple Shun Classic for gift 5-6 years ago, they are chippy, especially sub 34* inc angle.

They look very like a set if Fujimaru knives i got from Costco.

Sai mai construction: 33 layer pattern welded SUS410 high carbon stainless on each side. VG10 core. 8” chief, 6” utility, 3 ½” pairing. Cost me $70.00.

They have become my go-to basic kitchen knives.

I don't think I would call it chippy, just rough. I didn't expect a high-polish convex edge, and sure didn't get it.

I just expect it to smooth out over time as I sharpen it on my fine grit belts and strop.

My inner skeptic wonders why a set of vg-10 knives cost less than a single blank vg-10 blade?

Hey Tom, the image on your post #10 above, is your knife edge chippy (the edge looks like it has a few micro-chips)? I bought a couple Shun Classic for gift 5-6 years ago, they are chippy, especially sub 34* inc angle.

I don't think I would call it chippy, just rough. I didn't expect a high-polish convex edge, and sure didn't get it.

I just expect it to smooth out over time as I sharpen it on my fine grit belts and strop.

Thanks Tom. Good to hear. I'll call around to see any local Sams has them ... making good bang/buck gifts.

edit: no luck for stores within 70 miles.

Last edited:
You may as well hunt for bargain kitchen knives if the highest spec'ed steel is VG-10. VG-10 is not expensive, even when they doll it up in a stainless Damascus sandwich. When will we be offered ZDP-189, CPM S-90-V, M-390, and Stellite 6-K blades in kitchen knives.

there are kitchen knives in zdp 189, m390, s35vn, sg2 / r2, hap40, cowry x..... not hard to find. just gotta pay a bit of a premium for the knives.

would anyone be nice enough to pm me the link to where to get these vg10 knives at the prices discussed here? can't find them. =(

there are kitchen knives in zdp 189, m390, s35vn, sg2 / r2, hap40, cowry x..... not hard to find. just gotta pay a bit of a premium for the knives.

would anyone be nice enough to pm me the link to where to get these vg10 knives at the prices discussed here? can't find them. =(

As near as I can tell that Costco set of Fujimaru knives was a one-shot deal, a couple of years ago. They are long gone.

I'll have to check the local Sam's Club for these.... fingers crossed.

Score! The closest Sam's Club to me had hundreds of them, on clearance markdown so needless to say, I picked some up. I'm a happy camper today.. and put them to some use for lunch.

You may as well hunt for bargain kitchen knives if the highest spec'ed steel is VG-10. VG-10 is not expensive, even when they doll it up in a stainless Damascus sandwich. When will we be offered ZDP-189, CPM S-90-V, M-390, and Stellite 6-K blades in kitchen knives.

They're definitely a great deal.. Damascus clad VG-10 isn't anything to snob at, considering the price point. I own ZDP-189, SRS-15, SG-2, Cowry-X, and R-2 kitchen knives.. and these low priced Tramontina's are fitting in quite well with them. We are offered kitchen knives in great steels.. but I'm beginning to learn, that the type of steel isn't as important as all of the quality factors put together.. to include price. My n00bie habit of steel snobbery and nitpickiness is quickly starting to fade, the more I actually learn hands-on.

I'm quite impressed.

I found a Sams in my area and checked it out today. I am a little bummed as they don't have the knives.
If anybody can pick me up a set and send it to me I will cover all expenses.
As a kicker I will pack a medium flat rate box with Fat Wood and send it your way.
My e-mail is rickft@bellsouth.net
Thanks,
Rick

Sam's club in my area was out, but now they have magically appeared on Amazon and other places, for mo money, of course

Thanks for the review :) I've had a Tramontina Professional chef's and paring knife for years. Just ordered the damascus set on Amazon :) They'll be added to my Yoshikane, Wusthof, Spyderco-Masahiro, and Tarhong kitchen cutlery.

Last edited:
china gets to buy some vg10 from them and since tramontina has a factory in china, they probably get theirs from there.

i might as well get a set on amazon when i have extra cash, so there's good knives for the house

china gets to buy some vg10 from them and since tramontina has a factory in china, they probably get theirs from there.

i might as well get a set on amazon when i have extra cash, so there's good knives for the house

Thanks. I did a little searching and found that it can be imported, but with difficulty and large expense. Small orders are about impossible.

For the price of that low quality set you could have had a nice Japanese knife with real VG-10, heat treated properly.

And Shuns, don't even get me started, I sharpened about 100 of them this week and the thing they do best is chip.

Where to buy an how to heat treat VG-10 aren't really trade secrets. It's easy enough that even the Chinese, (who are good enough to make iPhones) can manage it.

Back