Unboxing review Mini Recon 1 and Rajah II

As this is my first post-LT purchase, I wanted to share some initial thoughts on the Mini Recon 1 and Rajah II for those who may also be new to the GSM offerings. I was immediately impressed by the packaging and presentation of both knives. Box graphics are excellent, and each knife was secured in a bubble wrap pocket. The Mini Recon 1 is a bit smaller than expected, on par with a standard folding box cutter. The blade is expertly sharpened and the pocket clip is secure. Weight is quite light, and it disappears conveniently into a pocket or inside a waistband. At < $35, It looks to make for a fine utility cutter. The Rajah II (< $90) is a different animal. It is fairly large and heavy, with precise folding action. I have seen it referred to as a folding Kukhri, but the blade-to-handle ratio is not consistent with a traditional Kukhri. The Rajah II's handle is long enough to accommodate several grip positions, and feels comfortable in any of those that I tried. It comes with an extra clip for opposite side carry, but I'm not certain that it would be practical for average size folks in a pocket or waistband. It reminds me size-wise of a folding saw, and would easily stow away in a pack or BOB. Honestly, I can't say how much better it is than a comparably sized fixed blade, but it appears well-made and ready for basic chopping, etc. It might shine best as a self defense tool, as it provides substantial reach over a standard tactical folder. Additionally, the weight would allow for devastating slashes and hacks on an opponent. It may not be the best knife for a gun fight, but it would serve well at any knife fight, including a Sandbar scuffle. Overall, my initial impressions are very favorable, and I'm hoping future CS purchases will be similar re: fit, finish, and cost effectiveness.

Back