Uncle Bill Has Created A Monster

FOG

Uncle Bill

Eleven showed up today. One package of ten and another with one. I had an opportunity to get up to the post office after an afternoon meeting (MCMAP) at Wing HQ. As I was leaving a Col. asked me about the packages. I opened them and showed off a couple. He was a little concerned about the "weapons" but also wanted one. I have since sent him your page.

Opened the rest of them and have them on my conference table. One particular Sirupate with a closed cho, wooden handle, and full length fuller is particularly lively. If I am reading this right it's made by Sher.

I will have a hard time passing them out. You should be reported to the DEA as a distributor for controlled substances, fighting this addiction will be extremely difficult. I've already sold the parts I was going to put into my night train, what else will go?

S/F, Mike

Your closed cho sirupati is actually a Gelbu Special. Uncle Bill has said many times that Pala thinks it should be current issue to the gurkas, and I agree. Excellent combination of length, weight and balance. Not a heavy chopper, but you don't often have to hack through a wooden stockade on the modern battlefield. :D

Many thanks for report from the field. That's a monster I'm pleased to have created. In this era of digital warfare I doubt there will be much hand to hand -- but just in case better to be well prepared. Remember the SF guy and the Taliban with the iron toothpick in Afghanistan. If it takes a thousand khukuris to save the life of one American soldier then they are khukuris well spent.

50 years ago I spent a couple of years of my life getting the most and best stuff I could to the men. Today I find myself doing the same thing. Once a storekeeper always a storekeeper. Sound familiar to anybody out there?

Uncle Bill,

I agree in spending “stuff” vice people. Saving lives with a good tool (knife) doesn’t require actual battle with the blade. It can as simple as a better prepared position, better camo, cutting the other guy’s commo wire going from his LP/OP, expeditiously opening up supplies or gaining access to someplace in less time.

Tohatchi,

The Gelbu Special may not chop as well but it just feels right. Different people pick them for different reasons. One logistics officer liked one because it had the prettiest handle, she is a staffer who really wants to stay on Wing or higher staffs.

There is a difference between fighting knives and combat knives, IMHO. A fighting knife is designed to fight another human being in close combat and all other considerations are inconsequential. A combat knife is designed to fulfill all tasks in a combat environment w/o breaking, to include close combat.

S/F, Mike

I for one feel that anything over 18" is really too long for what you and your troops need. There are several 18" blades that do not carry bad at all. For a last ditch weapon I think Sarge is probably right. The 15" knife is pretty handy for most things that the average troop comes up against. And, they are not hard to carry for an extented period of time.:)

Uncle Bill,

The 2nd package of ten arrived today. It’s unpacked and they’re sitting on my conference table. Looks like I may collect some more money and keep on letting the officers fund spares. The SNCOs want to get in on the deal too.

Various arguments on which one would be the best Kukri from different people and perspectives. The size of the individual, where they would carry it (belt by the loop, cross draw, on the pack, etc.), their mission requirements, and backgrounds all factored into their opinions. Those with an outdoor background all wanted a chopper. Those with a martial arts background want a Sirupate. Those with both an outdoor and martial arts background either wanted both or if a single 15” AK or WWII in either 15 or 18”. Need to get them out and about for more testing in various real world arenas.

The other interesting thing was the migration towards the wood handles. Two thoughts from everybody who showed a preference; a) Horn is the only material they don’t have experience and knowledge in keeping up in a field environment, and b) not sure if the horn will get too hot/cold w/o gloves and the possible shrinkage/swelling with changing climatic conditions. Any experience in these areas?

Our Chaplin, the 1st Chaplin in 1st MAW if not the MEF to complete MCMAP, wants one to replace his Kabar. If he’s not the best Chaplin I’ve served with since 1980 then he’s in the top three.

Next problem is the criteria for distribution. I have been getting hints and suggestions for the last few days. I’m working on equitable but deployment. Not wall hangers for Marine, NCO, or Sailor of the quarter, etc.

I’m sending a check to chetchat for some more quality utility tools. That will about tap me out until I get reimbursed from the other officers here. Keep them in the family as it were.

S/F, Mike

Originally posted by FOG

The Gelbu Special may not chop as well but it just feels right. Different people pick them for different reasons. One logistics officer liked one because it had the prettiest handle, she is a staffer who really wants to stay on Wing or higher staffs.
S/F, Mike

I think the Gelbu Special will outchop most things out there, but not some of the heavier khuks. It's not a bad thing, unless you really need to fell a tree or some other such task. I like the balance and weight, and wouldn't mind trading off a little bit of chopping power for a quicker khuk that will still answer 99% of the tasks it faces.

Glad everything is finding good homes.

about horn- is there anything in a soldier's mess than has lanolin?
rub that on the horn.

munk

any oily stuff that can permeate the horn should keep in from cracking, i think. I defer to the horn experts, but I think that Sarge used some stuff on his horn handled khuk while inn Afghanistan.

Keith

Fog, those Gelbus are great khuks. They're all good. As for length, you need to watch the Nepalis use these things to get an appreciation of all the capabilities.
May God Bless you and keep you and all the others safe at this time.

Heh Uncle Bill... I to was the unit "scrounger" when I was in the service! Unit Armorers are Quartermaster soldiers. When I ended up with a bum knee and couldn't be a "Grunt" anymore, I became an Armorer. I ended up being the "scrounger" (think Jim Hutton's character in the "Green Berets" ;) ) and you'd be pretty close.
Mike

If there is nothing over there to help deal with the horn, I'm willng to chip in to send over some hooflex (or whatever the experts may choose) so that you can take care of your knives. Anyone else have any suggestions/comments? Is this even necessary?
Quad

Quadro,

I appreciate thought but it would have to be something we already have. We prep boots with snow pruf, mink oil, then Kiwi. We only deploy with Kiwi because of space considerations. We would need something that is dual purpose or something that we can get out of the supply system or something similar on the local economy.

Munk and Ferrous,

We have lots of POL products but I’m not sure if they’re the best solution. We’ll have to see what falls out with the various tethers we’re on.
Uncle Bill,

I have eight left to be passed out. I am trying to get a squadron hump in at the end of the month. Trying to fit in the time, coordination, etc. is proving difficult. I was planning on presenting the last eight to Marines and Sailors at the end of the hump. I had envisioned humping them myself and then handing them out after about 15 miles. Then chopping something up, even if it’s only old wood pallets! I may have to fall back a squadron level MCMAP session (easy) or see if the Doc and his Chiefs can come up with some field medical training that has PT value.

Tohatchi,

I will have to give the Gelbu a try. Attempts to leave the office usually get short circuited by pop-up frag grenades. Thus I end up more killing trees via paperwork vice Kukri.

S/F, Mike

We have lots of POL products but I’m not sure if they’re the best solution

Sir, I got to reading labels on stuff over in Afghanistan, and figured out that ChapStik (used as a generic term, particular brand doesn't matter), skin lotions, up to and including sunscreens, all contain various amounts of lanolin, mineral oil, etc., that'll keep your horn khukuri handles healthy. Best part is they're non-toxic, and won't give your guys the trots like POL products would if ingested.

Sarge

Sarge,

Thanks for the tips.

Uncle Bill,

I asked the Company Commanders and 1stSgt.s for ideas on passing out the rest. The suggestion was show up in field training and hand them out to deserving Marines or Sailors. This came from the Engineer Co. CO. who has a patrolling package next week up in NTA. The Co. CO.s promisied to keep my paperwork down in order to get me out of the office.

At least both NTA and CTA we can chop vegetation and not violate the non-gardening rules down here. Get a chance for a better test than old pallets, etc.

S/F, Mike

As others have mentioned, Hooflex from Absorbine works well on horn handles. I also understand lanoline is good, and I've found pure lanoline at various drug stores and Wal-Mart.

The "Construction and Maintenance" section of the Khukuri FAQ might also be useful...

Back