Recommendation? Uncle Henry stockman modern alternative

So I own an old, purchased somewhere in the late 80's if memory serve, Schrade Uncle Henry. It is a pretty enough knife, but, typical for the period, the quality is quite poor. Blades steel is soft, action is mooshy, interior is poorly finished etc.

So where would I go for a modern user knife with the same patern but with better quality? Case? Buck? Cold Steel? Rough Rider? Other?

Thanks.

The knife

Here you can see the spring doesn't even make full contact with the blade

Rough Rider/Ryder stockmans are nice.
They are a 2 spring design, like the Case. (Buck are 3 spring). Unlike the Case, the Rough Rider rarely have blade rub (none of my eight do), and unlike Case, Rough Rider/Ryder does NOT say "Blade Rub goes with the pattern, and is not covered under warranty."

Be aware the Buck 301/303 and Rough Riders have a "soft" or "light" pull by design of around a "4".
(The "Gold Standard" that all others are compared to, the 91/93mm Swiss Army Knife, has a "5" pull.)
The offshore Buck 371 and 373 have a "5" pull.

There is nothing wrong with the lighter pull of the Buck and Rough Rider. The backsprings do their job: They prevent the blades from opening in your pocket when not in use, and prevent the blade from flopping half closed between cuts when in use. (Unless a moron and attempting to cut with the spine, or stab something, the normal cutting action forces the blade open.)
The backspring does NOT "lock" the blade open. A heavy pull does NOT "make the knife safer".
Personally, I don't understand why some people want to fight with their knife to open it ... espeially when hands are cold and/or wet.

Last edited:
Vintage Case 47 pattern are two spring, modern Case 47 pattern are three spring (for about the last 30 years). OH

I've read many reports of poor knife construction coming from Case customers. But then, you think that they do sell an extremely large quantity of knives, and people are much more likely to report bad experience rather than positive one's, so I don't know 🤷‍♂️

Buck seem to hollow grind their traditional, I much prefer flat grind on those. Other than that, rightly or wrongly, I'm inclined to trust products coming from them.

But then there are others, like Katz, Bear&son, Boker etc of which I know nothing about.

I think for the money, RR puts out a decent product. Here is a very close, 2 spring stockman with "Tuff Stag" imitation handles. It is visually close and cheap! They also make a larger version.

Here is a slightly nicer and more $$ RR but with potentially not-real damascus (I think it's just an etch? Someone else may know.

Spending a little more is this Boker

And a Case option with CARBON STEEL blades

Lastly is a US made bear & son with carbon steel

Most of these are around 3.5" closed. At the end of the day it's personaly preference as far as design, cover material, and blade steel, these are just suggestions to get you thinking. With all knives it's better to inspect before buying. Most reputable dealers will let you exchange a knife for another one if it has poor Fit and Function (I have had a good amount of issues with modern Case). You could always search eBay for a used, older Case as well.

So I own an old, purchased somewhere in the late 80's if memory serve, Schrade Uncle Henry. It is a pretty enough knife, but, typical for the period, the quality is quite poor.

Interesting. I've had loads of Schrades over the years (I'm talking about actual Schrades, not the knives currently being made in China that have the word "Schrade" stamped on them), and the quality was always first rate. If you don't mind carbon steel, maybe search out a vintage 34OT Old Timer on that big auction site.

Interesting. I've had loads of Schrades over the years (I'm talking about actual Schrades, not the knives currently being made in China that have the word "Schrade" stamped on them), and the quality was always first rate. If you don't mind carbon steel, maybe search out a vintage 34OT Old Timer on that big auction site.
Well, it all depend on our own personal bias for what is considered "good" or "poor" when used as an adjective to quality. As I mentionned, the steel is quite soft so it doesn't hold an edge for very long(my major grippe), spring to tang fittment is poor as can be seen on the photo, and they haven't bothered finishing the interior parts.

Also, that knife wasn't cheap. I seem to remember it costing in the 30 dollars canadian range back then, which was quite the sum considering you could get a Buck 119 for less, a much bigger knife.

Now, it doesnt have blade rub even now after 40 odd years, it stayed together perfectly and scale to bolster to spring to frame fittment is smooth, even now after all that time in pocket, so I guess that count for something.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've had loads of Schrades over the years (I'm talking about actual Schrades, not the knives currently being made in China that have the word "Schrade" stamped on them), and the quality was always first rate.
I second this 100%.

Old timer is currently producing a USA stockman, 340TG. I dont have one but do have the lockback 50TG and have been happy with the fit and finish etc.

Vintage Case 47 pattern are two spring, modern Case 47 pattern are three spring (for about the last 30 years). OH
I appologise. I was not aware Case made a 3 spring stockman.
Be that asitmay, they still don't warrant blade rib on their two spring stockmans.
Question: Are the three spring Case stockman as narrow/"pocketable" as their two spring?
I have never examined either in person.
I remember for the 2018 BF 301 stockman the Spey/Budding blade was voted "delete" by the majority to "make it more pocketable".
Personally. I don't see how .0625 to 0.9375 inch (1/16 to 3/32 inch) or less, depending on blade thickness, makes a noticable difference in the pocket.

spring to tang fittment is poor
When you say this and I look at your pictures, I believe what you are referring to is called under blading. Basically, the transition when the knife is open from spring to knife spine isn't perfectly flush. This is fairly normal and sometimes even by design. I have $100-$150+ GEC knives that are underbladed. Best not to get hung up on these details on a $30 knife so long as it functions fine.

In regards to soft steel, you might find that Case, Boker, or Buck is better. You could also try to look for a more premium steel such as 154-CM or CPM154, but it will cost you more.

Last edited:
Hey F Floatingby if your hunting a user/abuser then the Rough Riders have been ticking alot of boxes for me over the years and have been punching above their weight class in terms of quality and ability to handle the day to day chores I put them through. In fact...they have outlived some of my recent Case purchases that cost 5x as much. I used to buy RRs once a year when we went to the Smokies on vacation simply because they were cheap and it was a fun adventure. I didnt care if they even made it home, I just had fun trying new patterns out and seeing what stuck. I still do that to this day but Im consistently amazed at how decent to nice the knives have become and many of them are still floating around the garage and such being put to the test, usually doing things I wouldnt DARE do with a more expensive "better" quality name branded knife. They are still cheap enough that if it doesnt pass the test, your not out anything.

When I go to their shop I usually pick a knife I like and then ask for all of them so I can look them over and I leave with the best looking one. When buying online (which I rarely do) I buy 3 or 4 in the hopes of having one of them be solid and I send the rest back.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Case made or makes medium stockman knives, in S35VN and CPM 20CV. If the medium size is big enough to suit you, that is what I would look for. Since edge holding seems to be one of you major complaints with your Uncle Henry. The CPM20CV was a pilot test run, and seems to be sold out the few places I looked. So might be hard to find. The S35Vn model seems to be easily available.

O.B.

I've had very good results from CASE both cv and stainless, plus I don't live in the US so I think that speaks for their quality.

In my view, GEC hasn't cracked the Stockman nut yet, least not Medium sized ones and then getting one will be a nightmare if they do release one.....;)

RR might be good, have an excellent choice and they arrive very sharp, reasonably priced too. Become a little doubtful about their long term durability though, but not expensive or difficult to replace.

See if you can get a Böker Germany Stockman, been very pleased with the ones I own. Try and find a Queen Stockman in D2 (get diamond stones though) their Carved Stag Bone knives are very good quality, also look out for Winchester Black Box Stockman, very tidy indeed.

Thanks, Will

Rw47gXa.jpg

Here is a slightly nicer and more $$ RR but with potentially not-real damascus (I think it's just an etch? Someone else may know.
Real, not an etch.
5K Qs 5K Qs has (or had, he has not posted it recently that I've seen ☹️) the canoe of the series. He said it is real damascus.
When the company that makes RR (and Marbles, Queen, Queen City, Old Forge, and a few others) has a damascus etch, they are honest about it. 🙂

Last edited:
Well, I ordered the RR damascus one. Reviews are very good for that knife, and I'm a sucker for damascus. It is quite a bit smaller than my Shrade at 3.25"(my Shrade is an even 4" closed), which can be an advantage, or not. I'll keep the box, so if I don't get along with it, it would make a nice enough gift.

I also have a Case Wharncliffe swayback on order. When it gets here, I'll see what kind of quality Case is putting out these days, and if it jive with me I'll probably order the stockman in the same color(Mediterranean blue pocket worn) as well. The Case is a bit larger than the RR, but I find their steel naming a bit cringy(true sharp surgical stainless, really? Hey Case, 1986 called, they want their name back).

Interesting time we live in, with all that is going on I can get both the Case and the RR for about the same money as what the Shrade cost in the 80's once adjusted for inflation.

If neither of those 2 versions work for me, then I'll start looking at trying to find super steel version. Glad to learn they exist, even thought they appear to be harder to find.

Thank you folks.

Question: Are the three spring Case stockman as narrow/"pocketable" as their two spring?
I have never examined either in person.
I carry both, while I haven’t put a dial caliper on them for a measurement, I cannot tell any real difference in thickness between a late 1990’s three spring 6347 I carry and a 1978 two spring 63047 I bought lately and have been carrying frequently. The backsprings in the three-spring are narrower than the backsprings in the vintage two-spring. The blades look a bit thinner as well. I think either are very pocket friendly with their rounded bolsters. OH

So I own an old, purchased somewhere in the late 80's if memory serve, Schrade Uncle Henry. It is a pretty enough knife, but, typical for the period, the quality is quite poor. Blades steel is soft, action is mooshy, interior is poorly finished etc.

So where would I go for a modern user knife with the same patern but with better quality? Case? Buck? Cold Steel? Rough Rider? Other?

Thanks.

The knife

Here you can see the spring doesn't even make full contact with the blade
Buck or Case. But Buck is normally my first carry choice.

Well, I ordered the RR damascus one. Reviews are very good for that knife, and I'm a sucker for damascus. It is quite a bit smaller than my Shrade at 3.25"(my Shrade is an even 4" closed), which can be an advantage, or not. I'll keep the box, so if I don't get along with it, it would make a nice enough gift.

I also have a Case Wharncliffe swayback on order. When it gets here, I'll see what kind of quality Case is putting out these days, and if it jive with me I'll probably order the stockman in the same color(Mediterranean blue pocket worn) as well. The Case is a bit larger than the RR, but I find their steel naming a bit cringy(true sharp surgical stainless, really? Hey Case, 1986 called, they want their name back).

Interesting time we live in, with all that is going on I can get both the Case and the RR for about the same money as what the Shrade cost in the 80's once adjusted for inflation.

If neither of those 2 versions work for me, then I'll start looking at trying to find super steel version. Glad to learn they exist, even thought they appear to be harder to find.

Thank you folks.
You will have to let us know what you think when it gets there!

Back