under rated custom makers?

One of our own is Matt Lamey. He is putting out incredible products in such a short period. He's new but one to watch.

I have 2 knives from him, a camp knife and a fighter. Both are made out of 1095 with excellent grinds and just solid pieces for a great price.

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

Wayne Hendrix for stock removal knives and Keith Kilby for forged blades, specifically his plain using knives.

------------------
Alex Penton

Just got 2 pic's of Matt Lamey's knives. His work is impressive for being such a new maker. Buy now, the price will go up in a hurry when his rep catches up with his work.

biggrin.gif

------------------
old pete

I will second the vote for Peter Marzitelli. Some of the smoothest and best built folders that I have ever seen. His attention to detail is incredible. I was so impressed that I had to drag Ernie Emerson over to his table at Blade Show West. He agreed that Peters work is first rate.

My vote goes for Neil Blackwood. It is not so much that he is underrated, as that he has not yet been rated. I have one of his cordwrapped tantos, and it is the finest custom knife I own. I have many that cost a lot more, but Neil's is the best of them. If you haven't yet, check out his website. There is a link on the Bladeforums links page.

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Knifemaker

griffithknives.com
GriffithKN@aol.com
Available Knives

Roger Dole. He makes an incredible tactical folder with integral bolsters at a great price, for example. He is also truly a "custom" maker, modifying his regular models to fit your particular needs/desires. Really fine fit anf finish, and surprizingly unsung here.

Melvin Dunn get my vote.
He uses D2, and mine is great in the edge holding department.

I most of his customers are hunters/trappers.

Found some! I will let you all in on the secret. I will say that Dobruski and the brothers Ricardo & Roberto from Cutelaria Korth / Brazil are under rated. Fit and finish on their knives are equal to knives I have seen go for twice as much. I have been carrying the Dobruski Prometheus daily since receiving it. I am in awe when I look, handle, and use it. I will definately get more of his knives, as well as some from Cutelaria Korth. Talk about bang for the buck. I can't believe more people aren't snatching up their work.

------------------
Dennis Bible

max burnett
mike cooper (always gotta mention these fellas)
mike irie- incredible knives for dirt cheap prices
greco
hendrix
another guy...think his name is manley,was at blade with some outstanding deals on FBs
tom anderson
ray kirk

the list goes on and on and on....

This is based simply on design -- haven't handled any of his knives -- but I think Thomas Haslinger should be rated much higher than he is. Maybe something is happening in that line, because I think he fairly recently raised some of his prices. I believe he is leagues out in front of most of his peers so far as design is considered.

I also agree about Roger Dole. Have handled them within minutes of handling Sebenzas. His folders had the better action. Swiss watch was the thought that sprang to mind.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

I will have to add a vote for Geno Denning as
well.I recently purchase one and still can't get over how clean it is. The fit and finish is excellent.I liked it so much I placed another order two weeks later.For the money I think it's a great value.

http://www.sauerknives.com/
Chas Sauer forges 5160, and Damascus. I have been carrying one of this 6.5 " all around Bowie's for about 4 months now. It has desert Ironwood scales, and brass mosaic pins. Fit and finish, as well as file work is excellent. I absolutly love the simplicity of the design. Its chopped, pried, split, and cut and always felt comfortable , and held an edge.

------------------
Age, and treachery , will always win out over youth and skill!

Roger Dole and Tom Ferry.

Roger isn't at all limited to tacticals. I'm not really a tactical fan, but even Roger's black and grey knives are beauties. Now for my taste his folders made with a hand-rubbed BG-42 blade, blue anodyzed titanium liners/bolsters and MOP are as pretty as they get...fit/finish is superb.

Tom is making some of the best Mosaic damascus out there. He has already won Best Hunter/Utility at the OKCA 2001 show, and Best Folder at the Alaska show last week. He's only been in like 4 shows.

Check them both out!

Roger has a very clean site and Tom's work can be found on BladeGallery.

Nick
smile.gif

You guys are listing some pretty well known makers here.

You have also listed some unknown makers.

I think under rated is being used in lieu of unknown.

Exactly who is under rating their work?

------------------
Les Robertson
www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Custom Knife Entrepreneur

Andrew McLurkin (spelling) is top shelf and under rated
MAX Burnett if you like sweet traditional blacksmith Hand forged knives like I do.

Clean Bowies and fighters
I think Joe Flournoy is way under rated. Light, whispy, clean, and crisp Great lines.
Fitch is tops and under rated
Lamey is doing great

A fellow named Bill Scarbury from around ohio here is getting good.

Im sure there are more!

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
MADD MAXX !

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blues:
I'm going to say Ray Kirk, d/b/a Raker Knives.

Highest recommendation.

Blues

</font>

Saw a few of his blades recently and I have to agree.
I also wanted to add Mike Irie.

Back