Unusual SOG Pillar: Manufacturers defect, Different model or a Fake?

I just received a SOG Pillar that I ordered from a supplier I have used many times before and consider to be trustworthy, however the knife is not as it was described, on the suppliers website it says the following:

“full tang CPM-S35VN stainless steel blade with a part stonewashed, part machine ground finish

and that is as every SOG Pillar knife I have ever seen on YouTube video's and review photo's looks, however mine lacks the “part machine ground finish” and is instead stonewashed all over: (the blue marks are reflections of the Christmas tree lights)

HZE90I0.jpg

lEoz8YP.jpg

when I first looked at it, I thought that the supplier had sent me a different model of SOG Pillar so I spent a while looking at many pictures of different model variants and the only designs I could find are as follows:

Lyys97V.jpg

Image 1 is just like the one I thought I ordered
Image 2 and 3 have blades that are coated

I can't find a single photo of a SOG Pillar that looks like the one I now have? This left me wondering if it's a manufacturing defect, or maybe if it's a fake – if that's even possible? (it does seem too well made to be a fake) Although I'm not too good on computers so I might have missed something in my research, that's why I decided to post some pictures here

I would just send it back to the supplier because it's not as described, but I actually like the look of the fully stonewashed blade more than the part ground finish, I just want to be sure (somehow) that it's a genuine SOG knife

any input is appreciated :)

weird..maybe they changed specs on new ones and haven't update site and such yet?

I got one recently on a sale. pretty sure it has the different finishes....ill look tonight.

cool, thanks :)
turns out my memory is not great. mines like yours but not the logos weirdly......
20211215_185335.jpg
20211215_185321.jpg

I dont mind it though...didnt even notice it til I read this thread. so not sure if we got old stock, new stock....or sogs marketing people posted one that didnt happen....or even usa maker didnt follow their specs? ..no idear

my guess is your logo looks like newer stock and mine looks like older stock. maybe different makers sogs using for this? once again no idear.

I don't see anything on the net regarding this finish and that logo for the Pillar.
But my gut feeling is that these are new for SOG and not a counterfeit.
For example the Pentagon does not have the "SOG" logo, but the "Studies and Observation Group".
I suspect the finish is also something new.
VKdMCR.jpg

turns out my memory is not great. mines like yours but not the logos weirdly......

I dont mind it though...didnt even notice it til I read this thread. so not sure if we got old stock, new stock....or sogs marketing people posted one that didnt happen....or even usa maker didnt follow their specs? ..no idear

my guess is your logo looks like newer stock and mine looks like older stock. maybe different makers sogs using for this? once again no idear.
Thanks for the photo's, it's interesting that the logos are diferent

I don't see anything on the net regarding this finish and that logo for the Pillar.
But my gut feeling is that these are new for SOG and not a counterfeit.
For example the Pentagon does not have the "SOG" logo, but the "Studies and Observation Group".
I suspect the finish is also something new.
VKdMCR.jpg
cool, thx, that explains why the logos are changing

I sent a photo of my knife to SOG UK, and they checked and said that all they're stock was fully stonewashed now and that SOG US had just not sent out new stock photo's for use on traders websites, but they said that the knife was genuine. so I guess that because the change is not huge traders just haven't noticed and that's why there's no images of this version of the knife on the web?

View attachment 1702758
View attachment 1702759

I know it's irrelevant to the thread but I have one question: does this knife's spine throw sparks on a ferro rod?

I know it's irrelevant to the thread but I have one question: does this knife's spine throw sparks on a ferro rod?
see the post above this one....

I just received a SOG Pillar that I ordered from a supplier I have used many times before and consider to be trustworthy, however the knife is not as it was described, on the suppliers website it says the following:

“full tang CPM-S35VN stainless steel blade with a part stonewashed, part machine ground finish

and that is as every SOG Pillar knife I have ever seen on YouTube video's and review photo's looks, however mine lacks the “part machine ground finish” and is instead stonewashed all over: (the blue marks are reflections of the Christmas tree lights)

HZE90I0.jpg

lEoz8YP.jpg

when I first looked at it, I thought that the supplier had sent me a different model of SOG Pillar so I spent a while looking at many pictures of different model variants and the only designs I could find are as follows:

Lyys97V.jpg

Image 1 is just like the one I thought I ordered
Image 2 and 3 have blades that are coated

I can't find a single photo of a SOG Pillar that looks like the one I now have? This left me wondering if it's a manufacturing defect, or maybe if it's a fake – if that's even possible? (it does seem too well made to be a fake) Although I'm not too good on computers so I might have missed something in my research, that's why I decided to post some pictures here

I would just send it back to the supplier because it's not as described, but I actually like the look of the fully stonewashed blade more than the part ground finish, I just want to be sure (somehow) that it's a genuine SOG knife

any input is appreciated :)
For those who may find similar SOG Pillar knives online, all of the stonewashed versions have the different logos.

https://onlysog.com/product/pillar-red-uf1007/

This site sells them and has pics of other logos

Back