Photos Update: Antique Blade restoration

Hey all,

Thanks again for the help!

I got the blade in and followed the recommendations provided by the users here. The blade came out beautifully. I am going to post some macro shots and before and after pictures.

This was all done just by soaking in the recommended solutions and gently wiping clean with a soft rag. I am actually super impressed. The patina is very very unique from the years of neglect.

Before Pics:
rrodjYU.jpg

The whole blade looked like this up close picture. some parts worse than others. I forgot to take a proper starting picture, so this is the best I have.
5uvGcSe.jpg

After:
T1K76eL.jpg

SejviSQ.jpg

hLopugs.jpg

yliSs0n.jpg

v8FACOo.jpg

VhC9nyX.jpg

SYv70sA.jpg

And a little about it's owner. My great great great something or another.

TlGDIE2.jpg

WSH2wQP.jpg

WAK3AhW.jpg

WWD2kyy.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice!

Bonus MP4 of oiled sword in the sunlight: https://i.imgur.com/TJCEa6d.mp4

Last edited:
I am glad you tackled the active rust. To me, a huge improvement The pitting a sad truth but stalled now in not being dug deeper. It is great to see the crispness of definition instead of red scale rust. A simple but unattached insert for the scabbard and displayed in a case next to the sword, or as mentioned just stored separately but with the paperwork, it seems a display of sorts is in order. If it were me, I might continue a bit until all the red rust has been dealt with. The original polish on the Ames stuff was quite bright and tight, helping somewhat in preventing super deep pitting. A lot of their blades were final polished by hand with a fine crocus cloth.

Cheers
GC

Back