How To Urban Disaster Preparedness for Times of Civil Unrest

Mistwalker

Gold Member
Years ago, I did some threads under the pseudonym Mistwalker here, on urban survival and some of the possible preparations for urban disasters and times of civil unrest.

These days I get to do our you tube channel at work, so I've been working on a four- or five-part series of videos on preparing for urban disaster and civil unrest.

These aren't meant to be "bugout bags" or be all do all survival kits, they are meant to be a kit for short term disaster situations.

I always enjoyed the discussions in the urban survival threads, but those are no longer findable, so under the current circumstances, I thought maybe we could just have another discussion on a similar subject almost 15 years later based on people's experiences in different places. I saw and documented some pretty interesting things here and in Atlanta back in 2020, and I'm hearing some interesting things about things going on currently, so I thought maybe we could talk about that in as seen from differing perspectives.

It is because of you that I bought a RMJ Shrike. I've since added a Kestrel Feather and a Jenny Wren. When available again hopefully a S13 Loggerhead.

Changed my thought process on the tools I run and the multifunctional aspect.

the basics have not changed since ancient times. Folks need to consider water, food, shelter and security. There are as many ways to approach this as there are folks thinking about it.

No, the basics haven't changed, they're still as primal as ever, and will likely remain that way throughout our history. But I think you're thinking long term and long term isn't what this post is about.

I was in Atlanta on Memorial Day of 2020, and there again later to see a completely different dynamic.

I documented almost all of the protest nights in Chattanooga in 2020. I would be on location hours before and I moved piles of rocks and caches of bottles, some I witnessed being placed by people who appeared to be hoping to incite violence. And I interviewed people on both sides of the equation. I was at the Hamilton County Courthouse the night they popped the CS gas, and saw with my own eyes how few of people who lived in the area and were just there to observe, were not prepared for the brief moment of madness that followed, much less anything worse.

So, I do these videos primarily as a service for my own customer base, and my own local community, based on the environment, circumstances, and resources, etc. we have here. And this kit was put together with thoughts of short term survival, of being in too close of proximity to some of the unrest that is likely to come next year and even later this year as it progresses based on what we're seeing happening already. I thought maybe it could be of help to otheres as well so I thought I'd share it here.

It is because of you that I bought a RMJ Shrike. I've since added a Kestrel Feather and a Jenny Wren. When available again hopefully a S13 Loggerhead.

Changed my thought process on the tools I run and the multifunctional aspect.
The Loggerhead is nice, I've come to prefer hammer poles to spike hawks until I finally get to make the prototype of my own anyway. I wish I still had my old 4140 S13. They could be great tools to have in times of unrest if it gets as bad as it got in some places in 2020 or worse.

Haha.... I live near Milwaukee.
Riots, burning, ineffective city governments, and protests........... Heck, That's Just Tuesday, here!
been that way for a long time

Haha.... I live near Milwaukee.
Riots, burning, ineffective city governments, and protests........... Heck, That's Just Tuesday, here!
been that way for a long time
Yeah, one of the things we've been shown the last three years is just how bad the representation and leadership situation has been allowed to become in several of our northern and southern border states. Not to mention our east and west coastal states. Pretty disconcerting overall really, and not something we want to see happening here. Though a few things have happened here over the last three years that clearly illustrate how much some would love to change that. Luckily, so far, we're still doing okay. So I put together material for workshops and videos for our customer base and local community in hopes of helping it stay that way. And help keep people safe. We like our Tuesdays the way they are, without all that madness :)

Part 2 is up. It goes into more detail and shows how everything I showed earlier fits into this particular bag, and how it is designed to be modular from the outset, and designed to be broken down and things be carried by more than one person, and how things not necessary can be left behind for quicker motion, or taken and cached at another location to be retrieved later.

Part 3 will be coming soon, it's a discussion of practical versus tactical packs and gear, and goes into some purpose designed packs as well.

Part 4 is about urban land nav. About being familiar with the terrain in the areas we traverse daily, and about knowing or at least being able to locate and be aware of the one-way streets and blind alleys etc., so they can be avoided. To facilitate more easily and quickly escape a problem area.

To give this post some perspective, this series of videos is largely inspired by the situation I witnessed in Atlanta on Memorial Day 2020...

Almost no-one was on the roads
Mem_Day_2-vi.jpg

Almost no-one was in Centennial Park. To get this one pic, to show just how empty the huge park really was, I had to wait a while to have enough people in the park to give it some scale. Then the light was so low I had to open the aperture, raise the ISO pretty high, and slow the shutter down to sub 30. And in all the interviews I did, none of the people I talked to in the park were Atlantans, only tourists. The only places I found any Atlantans were the venues and the rides and they didn't want to be there.
Mem_Day_3-vi.jpg

While waiting I got hungry, so I had to deal with the rude guy at the concession stand, who really didn't want to be there at all. He was so scared he was going to die of the virus, when I offered to cut open the box of cups, he was struggling to open by attempting to use a flimsy clear straw the break the tape, his brown skinned face turned visibly paler when he saw the unopened para 3 in my hand as I made the offer.
Mem_Day_5-vi.jpg

He wasn't the only rude one there. Most of the people working the various venues were rude. They were scared, they were afraid they were going to die. They didn't want to be around us tourists and they didn't want to be around each other was what I was told by more than one I interviewed that day. They just wanted to go home where they could be safe.

Here you can see the guy running the gate having an argument with a lady in line ahead of me because she called him out on his rudeness first and then on his fear after he responded to that. She told him if he was so scared maybe he should have stayed home and let someone else have his job. His only reply was f*ck you.
Mem_Day_4-vi.jpg
[/URL]

And after all that panic and fear, after all the being terrified to be near each other or anyone else, they're suddenly out en masse 4 days later? Breathing all over each other, sweating all over each other, conveniently burning their own city down right in front of CNN? I'll never believe that. I saw multiple tour busses dropping off passengers just a block or two away from Centennial Park, but thought nothing of it with it being a tourist area with the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca Cola, National Center for Civil and Human Rights, Peach Tree Center, etc.. I had gone to Polaris to eat and interview a friend who worked there at the time. I didn't know anything was up until I saw the smoke later.
nneapolispoliceprotestsatlanta-vi.jpg

Then locally I was at the Hamilton County Courthouse on day 2 of the protests here when things got a bit out of hand and CS gas was deployed.
DSC_8964-vi.jpg

You can see some of the cloud of gas in the center right of this image.
DSC_8981-vi.jpg

Then there was the exploding car crash in Atlanta on December 4th, where the Governor's daughter's boyfriend died, the day after Kemp had made a particular statement regarding integrity.

Then there was the explosion in Nashville here in Tennessee on Christmas day of 2020

And now this year there are suddenly a lot of factories, food processing plants, and egg production facilities burning and a lot of odd train wrecks. So it just seems like a good time to put together some sort of kit to help mitigate issues that might arise during moments of urban disasters and civil unrest.

Last edited:
Some things that I would consider as being of higher importance than many might have thought pre-2020, are hygiene, and even though we all know about gastro illnesses and such, even just having to muster through a confined space is something that everyone should be prepared for, Why not wear a mask if it serves more than one purpose?
Power, while we have long talked about needing power banks and chargers for phones and such, those are going to always be important, especially if you are talking about using apps or IDs that let you "grey man" and move along, rather than being the one person in a line using a paper form that draws scrutiny. There will be pros and cons, so I'm not going to make that decision for anyone, I have seen people blow that off because the one scenario that they foresee doesn't include that need. What happens when you become the C&C for getting your friends and family out of a situation remotely? That phone better keep working. On that note, passwords and security, what can other people access to help you out. Deviant Ollam has a video titled Lawyer, passport, locksmith, gun that describes a situation of someone he knows who ended up getting arrested and changes he made to make sure that if something like that happens to him or his wife that they will be able to access support from the outside, among other "small scale" emergencies.
Meds are an old topic, but as supply chains get increasingly fragile, do you know how you'd fill a script if your normal pharmacy was out? Do you know how the system works in your area, and what sort of contingency do you need?

Keep in mind that in all these situations someone is going to be making decisions based on different info than you, and maybe all they are thinking is "If I'm getting asked to work it's probably not that bad, and I need to make rent this week". Their boss may well be letting them walk headlong into danger, but what choice is there? Or that person has priorities so vastly different to yours that they might as well not seem to exist in your reality. The main thing is to remember that they are not your enemy, they may have different goals, but if they are just a shmo pulling a paycheck like everyone else, well, they're more screwed than you because you have the initiative and are evac-ing or making plans, whereas they are stuck at work hoping that they have made the right call. Every time I see someone do something that doesn't make sense to me I ask "What info might they have that I don't, and how would that change my priorities?" and see if I'm making the fundamental attribution error. It makes a lot of people's actions make far more sense.

For me my urban survival is essentially natural disasters. Floods, cyclones and bushfire.

But there are certain overlaps. The weird thing that society still kind of functions is a very real factor.
Survivaling and being a caveman is one thing. Trying to still function at a job is another.

the basics have not changed since ancient times. Folks need to consider water, food, shelter and security. There are as many ways to approach this as there are folks thinking about it.

The methods have changed a bit though.
You might be able to buy food. Or find shelter by listening to a radio. Get security by driving away.

So it is important to be present in the environment you are operating in.

For me. Cos of floods or whatever. I might be stopped at a public toilet for ten hours. A tent isn't very useful but a mat is incredibly useful.

A wood stove is unusable (mostly.) But a gas stove generally won't get me kicked out or arrested.

So if I set up for primative survival. I may not have a use for it. If I had a thousand dollars in cash. I may be sleeping in a hotel room in luxury.

The best way to prepare for urban survival is to avoid urban areas as much as possible, whenever possible.

I know some people have limited options in terms of where they can live and conduct necessary business, but a whole lot of people choose to frequent urban areas for entertainment and other things that are not necessary.

"The best way to prepare for urban survival is to avoid urban areas as much as possible, whenever possible."

Amen.

Reminds me of the saying that the best strategy for unarmed combat is to Arm Yourself Asap.

I doubt it is that cut and dried. I have read about isolated farms during wars and unrest having a really hard time.

It can take well over 8 hours to walk just 25 miles. You could cover that same distance in less than 2 hours on a bicycle, depending on the terrain and the weather.

If you live in a city and you want to be prepared for disaster, then you should own a bicycle. The roads may become unusable for cars and trucks.

If you already own a bicycle then make sure it's maintained. Oil the chain, check the tires, carry 1 or 2 spare tubes in a saddle bag on the bike, and learn how to change a flat tube.

The best way to prepare for urban survival is to avoid urban areas as much as possible, whenever possible.

I know some people have limited options in terms of where they can live and conduct necessary business, but a whole lot of people choose to frequent urban areas for entertainment and other things that are not necessary.
First, it’s good to hear from you again Brian! I remember the old Mystwalker days!

Second, we need some caveats. We live in a semi-rural area and our biggest “city” is a good 30-40 miles away. We do travel to other cities, which is counterintuitive to what many would recommend. My wife enjoys country music concerts, and we like to visit breweries, most cities are in the Southeast, Atlanta being the worst, but there are some considerations other than just gear, which the basics remain the same and there are far more “resources” in an urban environment than many would consider.

I tolerate larger urban areas for short durations, I plan meticulously, and avoid the normal stupidity. We are rarely out after dark (other than those stupid concerts…that’s a whole different challenge to plan around given the restrictions and locations). Know what areas to avoid; basic intelligence gathering on high-crime areas, other events taking place, current affairs, etc. A local white cop shoots a black man, and you better just cancel the rest of your plans and depart quickly.

My plans are very short term as there are no good reasons to remain in a major metropolitan area with escalating violence or some natural disaster…none.

First, get “off the X”, away from ground zero of whatever incident is occurring. Having an app or some form of new updates is critical if you’re traveling around and not listening to the news. This could be a fire, earthquake, protest/right, flood, ice-storm, tornado, active shooter, etc. Just put distance between you and the threat. My EDC and minimal sustainment kit is really only geared towards 24-48 hours with focus on speed and mobility.

Second, get to your vehicle and/or back to your hotel or wherever you’re staying. I have more substantial kit in my truck and/or my hotel or campsite (we sometimes camp outside a small city at a campground). At that point you can reassess and make decisions based on more information. Chances are, if it’s a widespread threat, you may want to bug-home right now. If the threat (weather related) is severely impacting roads and traffic, you may be better off just hunkering down in a hotel.

Information is invaluable. Know what other events are going on in that particular city: concerts, tradeshows, major conferences, protests, sporting events, etc. I always check the weather, and often. Understand what areas are high crime areas. Most tourist areas for events often have the most law enforcement presence…just don’t get complacent. You can carry a police scanner (most won’t work as most cities have trunked radio networks), but there are apps that are easier if those networks can be tapped for info.

Maps are helpful. While I do have maps downloaded on my phone and use a map app for wherever we are, it’s been a hobby to pick up a hard-copy map locally. Your cardinal directions may be impeccable but understanding alternate roads when construction or some other “issue” blocks your path, having a quickly referred to map is quite helpful. While the phone is the primary, the hard copy is a valuable backup.

While I can’t cover all the basics since I’m not lugging a large backpack for of equipment around, I can address those immediate concerns:

Self-defense (some locations are more restrictive/less-permissive)
First Aid
Illumination/signaling.
Water*
Navigation
Knife/tool
…the basics.

I don’t always address “shelter” as there are plenty of options and ways to improvise. I do carry appropriate layers for the season and always have a wind/rain shell. My concept is the typical “layered concept” where my first line, or “Line 1” is mostly my EDC and what’s on my person all the time. I don’t really have a “Line 2” fighting kit, but I typically try and carry a small sling bag or small capacity day pack that gives me a little storage space without weighing me down or constricting my movement. If you think you’re going to run around downtown with a 50-pound pack, your biggest threat is going to be your personal health.

Continued...

I don’t prefer cities, but I do travel to them. They’re not a necessity, but neither is a week-long backing trip, a road/camping trip to Utah or Wyoming, or a trip down the Saint Johns, USVI. I refuse to be so risk averse in my life for survival’s sake, I end up dying from boredom…adventures are what they are, you just prepare, conduct your risk assessments, stay informed and situationally aware, and make smart decisions if something occurs, and then plug it into your OODA loop.

ROCK6

First, it’s good to hear from you again Brian! I remember the old Mystwalker days!

Second, we need some caveats. We live in a semi-rural area and our biggest “city” is a good 30-40 miles away. We do travel to other cities, which is counterintuitive to what many would recommend. My wife enjoys country music concerts, and we like to visit breweries, most cities are in the Southeast, Atlanta being the worst, but there are some considerations other than just gear, which the basics remain the same and there are far more “resources” in an urban environment than many would consider.

I tolerate larger urban areas for short durations, I plan meticulously, and avoid the normal stupidity. We are rarely out after dark (other than those stupid concerts…that’s a whole different challenge to plan around given the restrictions and locations). Know what areas to avoid; basic intelligence gathering on high-crime areas, other events taking place, current affairs, etc. A local white cop shoots a black man, and you better just cancel the rest of your plans and depart quickly.

My plans are very short term as there are no good reasons to remain in a major metropolitan area with escalating violence or some natural disaster…none.

First, get “off the X”, away from ground zero of whatever incident is occurring. Having an app or some form of new updates is critical if you’re traveling around and not listening to the news. This could be a fire, earthquake, protest/right, flood, ice-storm, tornado, active shooter, etc. Just put distance between you and the threat. My EDC and minimal sustainment kit is really only geared towards 24-48 hours with focus on speed and mobility.

Second, get to your vehicle and/or back to your hotel or wherever you’re staying. I have more substantial kit in my truck and/or my hotel or campsite (we sometimes camp outside a small city at a campground). At that point you can reassess and make decisions based on more information. Chances are, if it’s a widespread threat, you may want to bug-home right now. If the threat (weather related) is severely impacting roads and traffic, you may be better off just hunkering down in a hotel.

Information is invaluable. Know what other events are going on in that particular city: concerts, tradeshows, major conferences, protests, sporting events, etc. I always check the weather, and often. Understand what areas are high crime areas. Most tourist areas for events often have the most law enforcement presence…just don’t get complacent. You can carry a police scanner (most won’t work as most cities have trunked radio networks), but there are apps that are easier if those networks can be tapped for info.

Maps are helpful. While I do have maps downloaded on my phone and use a map app for wherever we are, it’s been a hobby to pick up a hard-copy map locally. Your cardinal directions may be impeccable but understanding alternate roads when construction or some other “issue” blocks your path, having a quickly referred to map is quite helpful. While the phone is the primary, the hard copy is a valuable backup.

While I can’t cover all the basics since I’m not lugging a large backpack for of equipment around, I can address those immediate concerns:

Self-defense (some locations are more restrictive/less-permissive)
First Aid
Illumination/signaling.
Water*
Navigation
Knife/tool
…the basics.

I don’t always address “shelter” as there are plenty of options and ways to improvise. I do carry appropriate layers for the season and always have a wind/rain shell. My concept is the typical “layered concept” where my first line, or “Line 1” is mostly my EDC and what’s on my person all the time. I don’t really have a “Line 2” fighting kit, but I typically try and carry a small sling bag or small capacity day pack that gives me a little storage space without weighing me down or constricting my movement. If you think you’re going to run around downtown with a 50-pound pack, your biggest threat is going to be your personal health.

Thanks for the thoughtful response! Unfortunately, I am not Brian and I have no idea what "Mystwalker days" means!

Thanks for the thoughtful response! Unfortunately, I am not Brian and I have no idea what "Mystwalker days" means!
Hahaha, sorry, B. (Brian) Griffin use to be Mystwalker here on Bladeforums many moons ago...great guy.

ROCK6

Back