Utility Knife help needed

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for utility knives, but no other forum seemed to suit.

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me identify the brand of this utility knife, and to tell me how to remove the darn blade. I'm assuming I need a special allen wrench to remove the screw shown in the 5th picture. Then I'm hoping the mechanism on top is free to rotate upwards to release the blade??? Is this correct?

I found this utility knife on the road when I was driving by yesterday. Must have fallen out of someone's truck. My guess is that it's worth around $15 - 20? It sort of looks like the Craftsman folding utility knife, but not quite.

knife1.jpg

knife2.jpg

knife3.jpg

knife4.jpg

knife5.jpg

knife6.jpg

Nice find. I'm not familiar or know the brand, but it looks like you need to remove that screw.

I think that if you manipulate the knurled thumb stud opener button that you would be able to pull the utility blade straight out. I have a couple similar to these and that's how mine work. Of course, be careful of the blade when you pull it out. I have not seen one of these yet that you had to take apart to change blades. Good luck.

I think that if you manipulate the knurled thumb stud opener button that you would be able to pull the utility blade straight out. I have a couple similar to these and that's how mine work. Of course, be careful of the blade when you pull it out. I have not seen one of these yet that you had to take apart to change blades. Good luck.

Before posting I had tried pushing the button, lifting, pulling it ... nothing worked. After reading your post I tried one more time. For some reason I had not tried to push it down towards. It worked! Thanks for the help. I couldn't see having to remove a screw to be an efficient release mechanism.

These things are very difficult to identify. The folding utility knife seems to have really taken off in the US, and there have to be at least dozens of different ones I've seen, sometimes sold with no names at all, available at any hardware store, an all seemingly from nearly anonymous Chinese manufacturers. Interestingly, tool-less blade removal systems seem about as varied and unique as models of knives. This is one odd dynamic that seems to have encouraged innovation rather than copying one or two designs, which would be more expected from these anonymous Chinese production runs.

Hi,

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I think it's a Sheffield brand tool. At least the frame shape reminds me of one. Sheffield is one of the brand names owned by Great Neck tool brands. And they make a number of different knives and multi-tools under that brand name.

I have actually owned a set of them. It consisted of a large multi-tool, a small multi-tool, and a 4 1/2" frame lock folder. All 3 pieces packaged in a blister pack. I still have the small multi-tool and the knife around here somewhere. Fairly decent tools for what they cost.

dalee

I'm going with Chinese. The blade mechanism is exactly like a cheepo PRC one I have and the handle design is also similar to a PRC lock knife I have. However the tool works well and is worth having.

Thanks everyone for the info. I was leaning towards a Chinese knock-off as well simply because there is no branding info on the knife. However I couldn't find a brand knife with both the body and mechanism the same as the one I found. Looks like they knocked of the body and went with another design for the blade mechanism.

thing 'bout these chinese replacable blade folders is in finding an exact replacable fit for the box cutting blade (especially the disposable blade's stock thickness and correctly sized slotted cut-outs).

Back