V-Gar trainer solution

A prior attempt to make a trainer out of the V-Gar manrikki was marred as it meant that the rubber-banded foam rubber padding needed to be removed when putting the V-Gar away for storage or carry. This daily assembly and dismantling was a hassle.

I have since came across a dead-simple idea using common pipe insulation, made with semi-rigid foam. Just putting a rubber band top and bottom reinforces and tightens the ends of the tube that you insert the weighted end into.

It stays. Even when winging the Manrikki around forcefully. Worst case scenario is in the unlikely event it flies off; no harm done. It bounces off whatever it strikes. But so far, mine has not flown off. The padding is sufficient and it is somewhat aerodynamic. It does not add excess weight to the end, so that you’re training with the actual feel. When you’re done, just slip it off and put everything away.

In the event anyone adopts this idea for training, I would advise to still wear body protection regardless.

;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• v-garpadding.jpg
    v-garpadding.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 313
Any pointers you guys got on techniques and training with the V-gar would be appreciated, I've just put an order in for one!:D

LOOK OUT, Get DOWN!;)

As much as I dig the idea of the V-gar as flail, the simple fact is that the Manrikigarotte isn't heavy enough to do a whole lot of damage. Titanium is -light,- remember? (Thank Don Rearic for that insight, not me.)

I have one. I've whipped it around a bit and done my best to follow along with James Keating's bandanna tapes. Simply put, I'd feel very confident having one on me if I were a flexible weapons bad-ass, but I'm not. It has one truly cool factor that makes me wish I was keeping mine, that slipknot trick, but it disappointed me in that I was hoping for a real concealed manrikigusara. It is a really, really cool toy, and if I had a partner to train with so I could learn bandanna stuff, I'd likely keep it or order another one. But it ain't no impact weapon.

Originally posted by DANJ
What do you use this on a spar pro or heavy bag?

This was developed purely for working in air, or through a target that consists of an empty space in between something flexible, such as a cut into a box flap.

Those who might have forgotten what it's like to handle one of these as a newbie - this allows for simply handing the unit without damaging it, or something around it.

It's like putting padding on the horns of the "bull in a china shop."

Originally posted by AlecWire
As much as I dig the idea of the V-gar as flail, the simple fact is that the Manrikigarotte isn't heavy enough to do a whole lot of damage. Titanium is -light,- remember? (Thank Don Rearic for that insight, not me.) But it ain't no impact weapon.

Speed equals power and all that speed it translated into a small weight. It might produce more than an ornery sting.

True, the business end needs to connect just so for astounding impact. And it could be defeated just the way a person could run in on someone with a bat and get inside to the shorter portion of it and gain control of it.

These things might not be the end-all for some martial artists, but it's an addition that some may think is better to have than not to have. It might be just the thing that buys you some needed time.

Originally posted by Boink
Speed equals power and all that speed it translated into a small weight. It might produce more than an ornery sting.

True, the business end needs to connect just so for astounding impact. And it could be defeated just the way a person could run in on someone with a bat and get inside to the shorter portion of it and gain control of it.

These things might not be the end-all for some martial artists, but it's an addition that some may think is better to have than not to have. It might be just the thing that buys you some needed time.

Boink, I can whip a marble on the end of a hank of twine around at a high rate of speed, but that marble ain't gonna do diddly if it hits you in the side of the head.

I own a V-Gar. I've played with a V-Gar. You would have better luck with a belt w/nice heavy buckle as an impact weapon. The worst a V-Gar is going to do if it hits you in the face is cut you up a very little. I'm sorry, but it just isn't heavy enough to hurt somone that way.

Originally posted by AlecWire

I own a V-Gar. I've played with a V-Gar. You would have better luck with a belt w/nice heavy buckle as an impact weapon. The worst a V-Gar is going to do if it hits you in the face is cut you up a very little. I'm sorry, but it just isn't heavy enough to hurt somone that way.

I would say it's your misapplication of the principal, which is understandable. For an example, someone could hand me three balls and say "juggle them" and I'd probably say it's damned near impossible to do after a few trys.

I'm knocking a bowling ball target off of a perch. That's generating some power.

Please, tell me the difference between my marble-on-a-string technique and your bowling-ball-off-a-perch technique? In fact, could you just tell me about your bowling ball technique?

As far as I can tell, there are two ways of speeding up a two or three ounce weight on a string - snapping it or spinning it. Neither one turns it into a cannonball.

Back