Very disappointed in cold steel secure ex sheath!

Compare being in the field with a kydex vs cordura sheath, they do retain dirt and moisture MUCH more than kydex/securex/boltaron. While hiking up to your stand you get your knife and sheath all muddy (you may not have this issue in the city of course). You can just rinse the mud off of the kydex and shake it dry whereas the cordura not so much.

Sorry I was thinking about all my leather sheaths. Kydex of course is a different thing altogether and in fact I have Kydex on all my "Real User" fixed blades.
I tend to wear a fixed blade when fishing and sometimes I'll gut clean before going home. No matter how much in-site rinsing one does on the knife afterwards,
the smell stays and in the case of leather or cordura it stays there. With kydex its a simple matter of washing out the inside.
No question kydex is a better actual use material. My point was intend to say that Cordura is no better or worse than Leather.

Sorry I was thinking about all my leather sheaths. Kydex of course is a different thing altogether and in fact I have Kydex on all my "Real User" My point was intend to say that Cordura is no better or worse than Leather.

I agree except to say I sure love the look of leather better than Cordura or Kydex.

I got my Bowie machete in the mail yesterday and happy to report that it's cordura sheath fits the Natchez bowie just fine. Most importantly there is no blunting to the edge. I am big on that.

On the side note i noticed that the bowie machete and Natchez are almost the same length despite it being rated as 12". Less than 0.1" longer on the machete. The Natchez bowie with it's cable tang felt much more balanced and comfortable in hand than the machete with it's full tang when swinging the blade despite being 6 oz heavier.

Received a Kobun 17t a few days ago
Either the secure ex sheath is too big or the knife's
Rubber hand guard is too small as the knife is not retained
By the sheath at all. Found out the painful way when the sheath
With knife in it was tilted when unboxing. Very sharp knife
Notified cold steel and copied dealer. Dealer got right
Back and offered a prompt refund Haven't heard from
Cold steel. Like the knife a lot even after getting cut
Hate the sheath. Very unsafe
Haven't decided what I will do yet. I am surprised
That cold steel has shown no interest in an obvious
Safety issue.

Von

Cold Steel is all talk.
Lynn Thompson told in an interview with Steve Austin that he cares about his customers hands thats why they have the triadlock.

....sure:rolleyes:

just sent the knife back to the dealer and take your money back.

You must make sure you push hard enough into the Kobun sheath to hear a positive "click". It takes a little more pressure to insert than the older Kobun sheath. I display these at Gun & Knife Shows, taking the knife in and out of the sheaths when setting up and/or showing a customer. One of the quirks of the new Kobun sheath, but not necessarily a negative one. I make sure anyone who buys one is aware.

thank you for your advice. First thing I tried was more pressure
Didn't work. Glad none of the ones you have sold have this issue
Knife guard is too small or sheath is too wide
Used varying degrees of pressure. None worked because the
Sheath does not engage the rubber knife guard at all
It is in my opinion a defective product.

Love the knife. Sheath is not secure

Should never have gotten past quality control

Thinking of doing a video with an engineer friend demonstrating the
The problem.

von

You must make sure you push hard enough into the Kobun sheath to hear a positive "click". It takes a little more pressure to insert than the older Kobun sheath. I display these at Gun & Knife Shows, taking the knife in and out of the sheaths when setting up and/or showing a customer. One of the quirks of the new Kobun sheath, but not necessarily a negative one. I make sure anyone who buys one is aware.
this one is like calling LG(or any other tv brand) and telling them "my tv dont work" the will ask you "did you put the power cable in ":D

@Vonkendell
are you from america?then send this kobun to them.dont waste your time with making a video.

Received a Kobun 17t a few days ago
Either the secure ex sheath is too big or the knife's
Rubber hand guard is too small as the knife is not retained
By the sheath at all.
Von

I'm sorry to hear you had problems with your sheath.
Please call our team direct at 800-255-4716 - they will be able to help
Thanks

Are you positive you pushed it in enough? Did you try spreading the sheath along the seam while you tried? I know my kobun *hated* going into its sheath until I cut the back of the guard off. Now it works well. Not doubting you, just sharing that mind just about wouldn't go in with just pushing the knife in.

My Kobun, which stays in the waistband of my sweats, dulls remarkably quickly, especially considering that it only gets intermittent use. It does get wiggled around in its sheath a lot though, because of the way I have it carried. Similar problem, just greatly reduced with my Chaos tanto. Side note, that center column on the dusters, is completely unnecessary, and slammed into the side of my finger, hurting like hell whenever I threw a punch. I lopped it out, and added some higher end grip tape to the handle. Infinitely better now. Also, maybe increase the size of the guard a bit, I've got somewhat spindly fingers, and when I put on gloves, I have some level of trouble getting my hand in the guard.

I love the knife, just a couple things to maybe improve on.

Does anyone know if the Recon Tanto fits functionaly in the long Spec. Ops Combat Master ? I am wondering about the curve of the blade. Thanks.

Does anyone know if the Recon Tanto fits functionaly in the long Spec. Ops Combat Master ? I am wondering about the curve of the blade. Thanks.
It'll fit. You just have to take the kydex insert out, boil some water, heat it, then insert the knife, and press it to the blade.

I'm sorry, but are you serious?!? The Secure Ex sheath is one of the biggest - if not the biggest complaints about Cold Steel, here on the forums!

This is what I was thinking. It's great they are responding now but this issue comes up about once every few months ever since they started using secure-ex sheaths. I mean, that youtube video is about 2-1/2 years old even.

Here are the results of a quick search:

January of this year: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...th-seems-to-be-scratching-it?highlight=secure

Late December 2015: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...x-sheaths-can-dull-your-edge?highlight=secure

October 2015: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-Ex-Sheath-Dulling-My-Knives?highlight=secure

August 2015: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Bowie-scratches-on-the-blade?highlight=secure

June 2015: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1301581-Not-just-securex-sheaths?highlight=secure

April 2015 (started by me!): http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...sheaths-Still-on-2015-models?highlight=secure

December 2014: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...sheaths-Still-on-2015-models?highlight=secure

So it is every 2 months OR LESS that this issue is posted here up until a year back, and there are still plenty of posts before that. It's good they are discussing it now but it's interesting their customer service is saying they haven't had any comments, phone calls or feedback regarding this. What a new and original issue! :rolleyes:

I have the same issue with the secure ex sheath dulling the edge of my GI Tanto. I can put a perfect edge on the blade, draw it from the sheath a few times, and I have to strop it again. Its a shame, because it would be an excellent sheath otherwise. I don't have any rattle issues, the fit and retention is perfect.

I am starting to think it's partly problem with the heat treat on my Natchez bowie as well. I tried slide in my Talwar into the securex sheath and it did not dull the edge noticeably which is what I expect. While the Natchez bowie edge will be damaged beyond recognition. Very unusual for what seem like casual contact of a hardened steel blade with a plastic material. Suspect bad heat treat for my sample ( and others with this blunting problem) which resulted in way too soft final rockwell hardness for the blade.

This is not a heat treatment problem. It's an issue of the glass in the polymer (as can also be seen on other companies' sheaths made from similar materials) being harder than the steel on your edge, thus dulling it when you grind the edge on the sheath during your draw.

It would be better for Cold Steel to (of course, at additional cost to the consumer) add liners/inserts in the sheaths which prevent the edge from contacting the secure-ex, but you can avoid this by simply not grinding the edge on the sheath.

This is not a heat treatment problem. It's an issue of the glass in the polymer (as can also be seen on other companies' sheaths made from similar materials) being harder than the steel on your edge, thus dulling it when you grind the edge on the sheath during your draw.

It would be better for Cold Steel to (of course, at additional cost to the consumer) add liners/inserts in the sheaths which prevent the edge from contacting the secure-ex, but you can avoid this by simply not grinding the edge on the sheath.

I agree with your post, but if the sheath is very closely form fitted, as is the case with my GI Tanto, it is practically unavoidable that the edge will contact the sheath when drawing/inserting the blade.

I have tried cutting small strips off the secure ex material. Didn't see any signs of glass or any abrasive particles in the resin. However watching another Virtuovice's youtube vid did suggest the material plays a part like you said.

Last edited:
Back