Very lucky day

Nearly had a potentially serious injury today. Still not sure how it happened, but somehow in the process of a belt snapping, a fillet knife was fired into the middle of my left hand.
Somehow it managed to hit the bone leading to my middle finger, which luckily stopped it. I guess the tip was sharp enough for it not to glance off and continue on.

It's a bit painful, and will mean I miss doing the father's day blacksmithing demo at the museum. But at least I can still move and feel everything, and it should heal up alright.

I'll be making sure it's cleaned twice daily until it heals up. If anything I was more worried about this one than the piece of steel I had to get carved out of my eye a few years ago....
Amazing how quickly things can go wrong, even if it something you've done hundreds of times. And it's always the person who's done it a thousand times and isn't paying attention that ends up wrapped around the metal lathe.

It's healing up much faster than expected. I'm certain it'll leave a scar, but it's fully scabbed over, and I've got most of the use of my hand back. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to grinding soon

Back